Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How does one create a database in Neo Office
How does one create a database in Neo Office

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: How does one create a database in Neo Office

I have scanned this forum for the last 5 pages and have searched the Neo Office Help files but cannot find any clues as to how one creates and works with a database in the product.

Any suggestions as to what I can read to find out how to do it

Thanks

Derek
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How does one create a database in Neo Office

DerekW wrote:
I have scanned this forum for the last 5 pages and have searched the Neo Office Help files but cannot find any clues as to how one creates and works with a database in the product.

Any suggestions as to what I can read to find out how to do it

Thanks

Derek

I'm afraid I am no database expert, but people do do it in NOJ/OOo and there are some threads here on databases (fabrizio veneradi (sp?) is the person on the forums with most experience I think).

If you look at the Help there is definitely a section on Database Functionality there but it is less than clear (to me at least) what it all means! I assume you have already seen that section? If not, just go to the Help menu>Contents>Database Functionality within NOJ.

I'm guessing that this also isn't exactly what you are asking, but maybe this article in the NeoWiki will also help.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

If you're thinking of creating a full-on database in NeoOffice/J, for the time being you really won't be able to (aside from mapping Calc spreadsheets...but I'm sure you can read up more on that). In the OOo 2.0 betas there's a component called "Base" that, in theory, allows you to connect to a database server and define new tables and databases directly through a GUI.

That doesn't exist in NeoOffice/J 1.1. You can still access databases with the GUI tools through Writer forms and the like, but you need to create databases and tables directly in your database client.

The one where you don't have to is if you use Calc to store the data, but then again it's not a database (in the same way Access really isn't a true database either, but just a tabular file).

ed
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If you're thinking of creating a full-on database in NeoOffice/J, for the time being you really won't be able to (aside from mapping Calc spreadsheets...but I'm sure you can read up more on that).

This time, I feel unconfortable to contradict the One, but there is a simple database functionality in OOo and thus NeoJ : use dbase file format.
This is not a full feature database but it works for most case.

How-to :
• display data-source pane
• create a new data source
• select a dbase format
• name the dbase file (edit: folder) as you like; Th folder will contain the table files created latter
• close the panel
• edit: add a table to the base, defining colums as you need.
• then open the recently created dbase file (edit: table) and add/modify/delete item in the table.
• use the data-source as planned (mailing and such)

See the help for details.

I write this from memory, without checking the process but, roughly, this is it and worked many times for me.

Max
DerekW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Thanks

for your replies - I will look again the dBase process - the databases elsewhere are dBase format so I might be able to copy them over

Thanks
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:

This time, I feel unconfortable to contradict the One, but there is a simple database functionality in OOo and thus NeoJ : use dbase file format.

Never feel uncomfortable to contradict me. Although I've used OOo/Neo since 2001 (I "eat my own dogfood", so to speak...) I'm definitely no expert. I have never used the dBase format myself since I'm bitter at Microsoft buying and killing FoxPro for the Mac Wink

It's good to know there's something aside from the calc spreadsheets available for 1.1, even if it's still a file based thing and not a real database.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Max et al.:

I just stubbed these steps into an article in the wiki; please verify/expand/clean up the article when you get a chance Smile

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I just stubbed these steps into an article in the wiki; please verify/expand/clean up the article when you get a chance Smile
I just made minor edit in the wiki page after checking the process.

Max
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:

As others told to you, neooffice has got a dbase format inside. It could be nice for real simple databases, like address, telephone etc.

For more complex databases you can use something like mysql, using programs like cocoamysql to build the tables. after you can use neooffice/j for query and form input.

you can find an example of a quite complex database I'm working on here:

http://www.venerandi.com/temp/uno.jpg
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1