Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Passing of Terry T.
Passing of Terry T.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Passing of Terry T.

All:

As it was announced on the MacOSX OpenOffice Porting web page, Terry has passed. There is a rememberance line on the page.

I have no further details on his family nor why he passed.

I for one, would like to thank him for his numerous contributions both here and on the X11 side of the effort to bring OpenOffice to the Mac.

He will be missed.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Terry T.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
As it was announced on the MacOSX OpenOffice Porting web page, Terry has passed. There is a rememberance line on the page.

I have no further details on his family nor why he passed.

I for one, would like to thank him for his numerous contributions both here and on the X11 side of the effort to bring OpenOffice to the Mac.

He will be missed.

He will indeed! Sad My sympathies to all of us here, but most to his family and personal friends.

I did not know that he was dying, so I find myself utterly surprised. I just hope he didn't go to suddenly or painfully.

Oscar

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Terry T.

ovvldc wrote:

He will indeed! Sad My sympathies to all of us here, but most to his family and personal friends.

I also extend my condolences (after the fact) to his family, friends and those within the OO community that personally knew him.

ovvldc wrote:

I did not know that he was dying, so I find myself utterly surprised. I just hope he didn't go to suddenly or painfully.

It is possible that Terry was ill and did not pass this onto the OO community. However, I would like to pass quickly but not painfully and I hope this happened to Terry. I hope that he did not suffer from an extended illness like cancer and was just waiting for time to pass.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:

James, thanks for the terribly sad news.

I only knew Terry through the community here at Trinity, where he was always helpful (often pulling solutions for difficult-seeming problems out of his hat) and always collegial, and through IssueZilla, where for the longest time he would take the first pass at QA and reproducing any Mac bug filed. I remain in awe of his AppleScripting abilities, so ably demonstrated in Start OpenOffice.org.

I join with the rest of the community in offering my condolences to his family and friends.

Ave et vale, Terry; you will be missed.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

I've added a brief notice to our wiki as well.

(The main page is still locked because of spamming, so let me know suggestions/corrections you want.)

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

(The main page is still locked because of spamming, so let me know suggestions/corrections you want.)

Nice, Smokey. I did not realize that StartOpenOffice.org was Terry's work. I have another launcher for starting up OOo 1.1.5/2.0beta builds. It too is AppleScript. I'm betting either it is Terry's or built on his work.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Nice job, very dignified.

Does anyone have an idea as to what he died from? Not to sound morbid, but I always try to have an image of someone in memoriam...

Oscar

JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Nice job, very dignified.

Does anyone have an idea as to what he died from? Not to sound morbid, but I always try to have an image of someone in memoriam...

Oscar

I'll add my condolences to the thread - it prompted me to take a more thorough look at Terry's site so I'll post the link so others can have a read too... the last sentence on that particular page is very poignant given the circumstances.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:

I'll add my condolences to the thread - it prompted me to take a more thorough look at Terry's site so I'll post the link so others can have a read too... the last sentence on that particular page is very poignant given the circumstances.

Terry's web site is 'temporarily' down due to exceeded allowed data transfer. I would not be surprized if geocites has taken it down, permentantly.

If it is not back up tomorrow, could you please quote the relevant text?

James
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
JKT wrote:

Terry's web site is 'temporarily' down due to exceeded allowed data transfer. I would not be surprized if geocites has taken it down, permentantly.

If it is not back up tomorrow, could you please quote the relevant text?

James

I'm going away for a week early tomorrow so I'll post this now. The page was a brief and incomplete life's history written by Terry - I guess he had updated his site relatively recently and was in the process of still writing it... last line was something like "There's much more to come..." Sad

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:

I just got back from a weekend of backpacking and got this very sad news Sad

I got to meet Terry a number of times since I first met him at Macworld SF in 2002. We had been working on the X11 stuff for some time together and he had come to search me out. I remember how happy I was finally meeting him and putting a face to the name. He stayed the rest of the day to hand out CDs, brochures, and talking with people on the floor. Over the years we managed to meet up at some of the other conferences, put back a few drinks, and just have a good old time. I can't remember a single time when we were together when he wasn't smiling or having fun, his beard billowing with each hearty laugh. Along with his great Apple history and anecdotes, he had great taste in classic Apple T-shirts...probably one of the only OpenDoc shirts I've ever seen. Whether it was tech, nostalgia, or complaining about how trinity looked like The Hulk in IE 5 on OS 9, each conversation always had a "right" in that great accent, a joke, and that hearty laugh.

Tonight I pour a little out for Terry. I hope for the best for him and his family and am lucky to have known him.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:

My condolences from a fellow '55er... He knew his Mac stuff. I always took making it to 50 for granted.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Just made this topic sticky so it won't ever fall onto a "second page". We should never forget those who have given so much.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject:

Colin Charles has a blog entry about Terry, with a link to a eulogy, and a comment from Terry's brother with an email address for correspondence.

(I've sent a message pointing him to this thread.)

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Colin Charles has a blog entry about Terry, with a link to a eulogy, and a comment from Terry's brother with an email address for correspondence.

Nice tribute.

Also I would like to point out that GeoCites has taken down Terry's web site. Maybe we could petition GeoCites to put it back on-line as a tribute to Terry.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2