Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo/J Performance Patch problems
Neo/J Performance Patch problems

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildph
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Neo/J Performance Patch problems

Hi,

I've been having terrible trouble with the java 1.4 performance patches, It's slower, (for me), doesn't seem to be able to handle window management (minimise/maximise) properly, gets all 'flickery' during export to pdf, which btw, doesn't work, and did I mention it's significantly slower than the patch1 (non-java 1.4) version.

I've not filed any of this as a bug though, cos I'm not confident that the Java 1.4 installation on my mac (OSX.4.2) is correct.

I've had trouble with other java apps such as azureus, so I'm thinking I need to take a look at my Java install. Is there any way to test or refresh this installation without doing a full OS reinstall?

Cheers

XW
--
PBG4/1.25Ghz/512Mb/60Gb
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't remember actually seeing anything about standalone 1.4 apps for 1.4.2. Do you have a second machine you can access? You may be able to just copy over the relevant files similar to the old 1.3 corruped shared archive fixes.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject:

FYI...moved this topic to Neo/J Testing since it's related to the Performance Patches, and we discuss patches and alpha/beta/release candidate versions of Neo/J in the Testing forum Smile For specific issues with the Performance Patches, there's a special thread. ...Just housekeeping, no worries Smile

If Neo/J will even launch, your Java installation is likely in good shape. At least from experience, even minor issues with a Java installation tend to make Neo/J fail to launch and spew lots of details in the Console.log. (And with all due respect to our friends at Azureus Smile, I found their app fairly flaky when I tried it.)

Most of your comments about the performance patches have been mentioned before by at least one person in the thread; it's definitely alpha code still in some cases, and it seems like different systems, RAM configs and graphics cards all affect performance. Patrick doesn't have a lab full of Mac to test on, unfortunately....

wildph wrote:
gets all 'flickery' during export to pdf, which btw, doesn't work

This one, though, I've not seen before. It's probably worth a bug report for further investigation....

All of that said, alas, there's no separate Java installer for Mac OS X. You might try re-applying the latest Java update for your version of Mac OS X (either Java Update somethingorother for 10.4.2 or Java Security Update for 10.3.9) and see if it makes a difference, but if you really think something's amiss, there's no way around a re-install of the OS Sad

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Checking Java Installation integrity

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I don't have another mac to test against, however think I have a way to check on the integrity of my files If I can get someone to help with a fairly straightforward check in Terminal.

The command needed is (all one line):

(sudo find /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2 -type f | xargs md5sum) > ~/Desktop/java14-md5sum.txt

This creates a text file on your desktop, listing every file in your system java 1.4.2 installation, along with a file checksum. My results are here.

Can someone run the same command, and post their results on a website?

The idea being, I can then compare the two results, to see if any of my java files have different content (read: corruption). I'm runing a fully-updated (so says software-update) copy of OSX 10.4.2.

Cheers

XW
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject:

Code:
Smaragd:~ yoxi$ (sudo find /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2 -type f | xargs md5sum) > ~/Desktop/java14-md5sum.txt
Password:
xargs: md5sum: No such file or directory
Smaragd:~ yoxi$

...and ended up with an empty text file.

- yoxi
wildph
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject:

Hrm,

Thanks for trying...

I don't think md5sum was something I installed specifically.. maybe it came with the developer tools package. Have you installed that (Xcode, GCC et all)

Cheers

XW
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject:

wildph wrote:
maybe it came with the developer tools package. Have you installed that (Xcode, GCC et all)

Nay... tibook 400MHz, already showing the strain without trying to fit all that on it!

- yoxi
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Code:
Smaragd:~ yoxi$ (sudo find /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2 -type f | xargs md5sum) > ~/Desktop/java14-md5sum.txt
Password:
xargs: md5sum: No such file or directory
Smaragd:~ yoxi$

...and ended up with an empty text file.

- yoxi

Ditto and I do have the Developer Tools installed.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject:

I swear I used to have md5sum, but I'm getting the same error, too. I think replacing that with md5 -s will get the results you want, if you 10.4 people want to try that.

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject:

It's possible I guess, that apple removed md5sum, but it's still available on my 10.4 machine, maybe leftover from an operating system upgrade (used to be 10.3.x).

Ah well starting to look like there's no way around it.. I'm gonna have to reinstall.

Thks for helping

XW
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1