· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near
NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

Now that the Neo/J 1.1 Performance Test Patches are getting reasonably stable and the number of bugs is getting fairly small, I expect that I will be able to push out a NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release that uses the OOo 1.1.5 code plus my Java 1.4.x code in early November.

Note that I am dropping the "/J" and calling the upcoming release "NeoOffice". There has been a desire to do this for a long time and now seemed like a good time to make the switch.

In order to make this name change, I need some help. Specifically, the following things need to be changed:

1. The "/J" needs to be removed from the splash screen and the "About" window image.

2. The CD label needs to have the "/J" removed, the release number changed to "1.2 Alpha", and the system requirements changed to "Mac OS X 10.3 or higher".

3. The Wiki needs to change all references to NeoOffice/J to NeoOffice and all references to ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 changed to ~/Library/Application Support/NeoOffice-1.2.

Edit: I just tried running Neo/J with preferences in ~/Library/Application Support and Neo/J will not run because the OOo code cannot handle spaces in the preferences path. So, the preferences directory for Neo 1.2 Alpha will be ~/Library/NeoOffice-1.2.

4. This is optional, but I am thinking of deemphasizing Java and emphasizing that Neo 1.2 Alpha uses a combination of Cocoa and Java.

Can anyone help with these items?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I can do the PSDs for the splash and CD. I just saw your e-mail in my "OOo" folder (which doesn't get looked at that often...). I will also retool the forums et. al.

Anyone looking to reference the old QuickDraw variant can use the "/C" as has been standard for quite some time.

What is our ETA?

ed
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Hello Patrick,

I can do the changes for the CD label and the CD covers.

knutkja
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I just committed new psds for the about graphic and splash graphic into secure cvs (macosx_graphics). Let me know if you need me to convert them to BMPs/pngs/etc.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject:

patrick

great news on the alpha.

as for the /j, are we dropping it everywhere? or will it still be a part of the version number?

(something like:

NeoOffice 1.2
v. NeoOffice/J 1.2, alpha1 patch3)

just want to make sure i can upate wiki stuff appropriatly
(not that i cam move at the speed of smokey, but i'd still like to help)

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
as for the /j, are we dropping it everywhere? or will it still be a part of the version number?

It will be dropped everywhere. Also, since the release will use the OOo 1.1.5 code, you won't be able to patch a Neo/J 1.1 installation.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, dropping the /J has just been a matter of time.

Historically, the only reason for the /J was to differentiate it from /C which died out 2 yrs. ago. Both were experiments, one proved to be the correct route.

Frome this next release forth, NeoOffice/J *is* NeoOffice, as it has been for the last 2 years.

No one is working on /C, and it is no longer an active part of our haphazard community development effort Very Happy

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
patrick

great news on the alpha.

I've been building the pre-alpha builds and the /J is gone everywhere. I don't think it is needed anymore.

jakeOSX wrote:

(something like:

NeoOffice 1.2
v. NeoOffice/J 1.2, alpha1 patch3)

just want to make sure i can upate wiki stuff appropriatly
(not that i cam move at the speed of smokey, but i'd still like to help)

Update away. I would put in a historical link that states that the /J stood for Carbon/Java and that no longer applies. The /C stands for the long abandoned (rightfully) Cocoa builds. There is a mixture of Carbon/Cocoa/Java for NeoOffice and this is only to facilitate the Aqua interface and what is in the original OpenOffice code.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget the to kill the /J in the readme, too.

Patrick, command do I need to run to get the latest version of the Info.plist (with all the .odt stuff, etc.) from cvs? I'll use that as the basis for adding all the missing extensions, MIME types, and Mac type codes I've collected.

pluby wrote:
Edit: I just tried running Neo/J with preferences in ~/Library/Application Support and Neo/J will not run because the OOo code cannot handle spaces in the preferences path. So, the preferences directory for Neo 1.2 Alpha will be ~/Library/NeoOffice-1.2.

Interestingly, that's where all of Kevin's Tech Preview builds put their preferences (~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/). I wonder what's changed.

Edit: Rough outline of things to do in Rebranding the wiki.

Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject:

btw: there will be a easy way to import neooffice/j 1.1 preferences in neooffice 1.2?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
btw: there will be a easy way to import neooffice/j 1.1 preferences in neooffice 1.2?

Yes. My plan is to automatically copy your Neo/J 1.1 preferences if no Neo 1.2 preferences exist.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

It will be dropped everywhere. Also, since the release will use the OOo 1.1.5 code, you won't be able to patch a Neo/J 1.1 installation.

Found NeoOffice/J in the text on the Splash screen this morning while getting ready for my trip.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Found NeoOffice/J in the text on the Splash screen this morning while getting ready for my trip.

I committed updated images to that branch on Sunday, October 23rd. Unfortunately, you have to rebuild Neo/J's offmgr module and the installer to see the change.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject:

You may have caught this already, or maybe it's a branch issue, but I noticed when installing PT Patch-1.8 that the "header" of the readme said "NeoOffice" but everywhere else still was "Neo/J".

Smokey
aka "annoying attention to little niggling details guy"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

pluby wrote:
1. The "/J" needs to be removed from the splash screen and the "About" window image.

Is there also going to be a more modern ship?

pluby wrote:

Wouldn't it be more OSX-like to use ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.2 ?
Maybe even ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice/1.2 ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2