Dock Icon - Launcher workaround? <edit>

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i'd link the wiki to this discussion (like a while ago) but i can't get to the wiki at work (sucks)

Such seditious content we have there...teaching people how to use software that they legitimately do not have to pay for. Razz

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

OK - so I don't know what all y'all's problem is - it's not that hard to do. Smile

You can run any script (or binary, or whatever) if you wrap it in a stub application.

- so -

I have created stub applications (using Platypus) to launch each of the different portions of NeoOffice (Base, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Web, Writer)

You can download the stub applications from http://www.toonetown.com/projects/downloads/SubApps.zip

To install:

1 - After downloading and unzipping the file, you will have a directory called "SubApps"
2 - Go to the directory where NeoOffice is installed (usually /Applications)
3 - Right-click on NeoOffice and choose "Show Package Contents"
4 - Move the SubApps folder and drop it right onto the "Contents" folder within NeoOffice (These stubs depend on being installed in this exact location - relative to NeoOffice - to work)

You can now do whatever you want with those stubs - including put them in your dock (and they'll even appear on the left side), and you can drop files onto them as well. Smile

Sometimes I even amaze myself Wink

They have the OpenOffice.org icons because I'm not really that big of a fan of the NeoOffice icons (no offense), and there really aren't any Calc, Draw, etc icons for NeoOffice anyway (only file type icons...and I didn't want to mess with those).

So - there you have it. Standard disclaimers apply. If your computer starts spitting fire, it's not my fault. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks. And nice work. I've played with Platypus. Heh, that didn't sound right! but forgot about that app that turns unix/terminal scripts into apps. Right side to left side, right? (of the Dock storage now)
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:

Yes - the only thing is that they aren't the "real" NeoOffice - so when you launch them, they won't be highlighted (The "real" NeoOffice icon is the one that will be highlighted in your dock) Also, clicking the Calc application when you already have a Calc document open will not bring that document to the front (like you are used to) - it will create a new Calc document.

So - they work about 90% like you expect them to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

OK, thanks again. Maybe Pat, ed or another mod should change this thread title to "ICONS/Dock Launcher workaround" or "DOCK LAUNCHER" somesuch so people can discover this trick easier. Many may look at "ICONS" title and never read about this... Just a thought/ suggestion.
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject:

I have actually updated the previously referenced Wiki page to include this tip - it should be fairly easy to find there.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Changed Message Header

Guest wrote:
OK, thanks again. Maybe Pat, ed or another mod should change this thread title to "ICONS/Dock Launcher workaround" or "DOCK LAUNCHER" somesuch so people can discover this trick easier. Many may look at "ICONS" title and never read about this... Just a thought/ suggestion.

Well, I guess as Other I changed the title of this message.

I was confused by the ICONs each time I saw it, too. Now It says "Dock Icons - Launcher Workaround...." Hope that helps everyone (and I did not screw anything up by changing the Subject: of the first message Embarassed )

Philip (Feels the ... power - Hopes no mistakes! Shocked )
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

ok, so it wasn't making the applications that was hard (but the platypus tip was good, thanks!), it was the scripts, what did you put in the scripts to make them work?

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

ok, i see now (bbedit ftw)

but now i am confused, i thought patrick said you couldn't pass parameters to neo... (hence why i was trying other methods)

this being discovered... a 'launcher' of sorts should be easily made.
gpiroux
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:

toonetown,

The subApps look very promising ! But it should be interesting to focus the Neo windows after clicking on the subApps icons...
And is it possible to make the icon bouncing after click to indicate the program is working ?

gp

[EDIT] just need to add
Code:

osascript -e 'tell app "NeoOffice" to activate'

at the end of the file SubApps/NeoOffice????.app/Contents/Resources/script

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:

I can confirm that the Toone's subapps icons work in the Dock for NeoOfficeJ 1.1*

Knows 1.1 has been pulled but it installed and works OK for me.

Have not tried gpiroux's mod yet althogh my writer window seems to be focused already.
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I have created new versions of the apps with two changes:

1 - it activates neooffice if neooffice was running before. That fixes the problem with applications not coming to the foreground. However, if NeoOffice was not running the "osascript" line given above caused an extra writer window to open. That does not happen with these apps.

2 - They should be placed as peers (in the /Applications directory, for example) to NeoOffice - not within the application itself. That makes it a bit easier to add and modify them. The applications themselves should be placed in the /Applications folder - not the NeoOfficeApps folder.

You can get the new batch from http://www.toonetown.com/projects/downloads/NeoOfficeApps.zip

Let me know how they work out...
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Along these lines - would there be interest in creating separate complete applications for each of the "subapps"?

I think this could be possible using symbolic links, etc - I'm just wondering if it would be something people would be interested in.

The difference would be that the bouncing icon and little triangle thingy would indicate the "calc" application - rather than the NeoOffice application.

I'd be willing to look into it if people are interested...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm in. I did notice that non-bouncing shortfall of the subapps icons in the Dock now so your latest suggested tweak would make it function more Mac-like with the sub app bouncing vs. current behavior of the main Neo icon bouncing but the subapp is static.
bbjonz
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Need Clarification

This is a great idea, but I need a bit of clarification on the install and what should be happening.

1. Does that line in the OAS script need to be there? And I can't find that script--does it need to be created?
2. If Neo is running, should clicking on the Writer icon, for example, focus the Writer app? I tried that and it launched another writer document.
3. And the icons should be in the Applications folder as peers, not in the folder they were zipped in, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Joe
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3