· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Unable to Fully Start OpenOffice
Unable to Fully Start OpenOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Unable to Fully Start OpenOffice

Hi all, I 've checked the forums, but can't seem to find a replica of my problem.

I'm running OS 10.2.6 on a PowerBook G4 and want to install OpenOffice there. I have both beta 3 of X11 and OroborOSX installed and working. I can install and launch other unix X applications from Fink.

When I install OpenOffice.org the installation goes well. When I click on the "Start Open Office" I get the OpenOffice splash screen, but OpenOffice never starts. Ironically, I'm able to start the OpenOffice printer admin with no issues.

I've tried using the command line to start OpenOffice and I get the same thing--the OpenOffice 1.0 splash screen comes up, but OpenOffice never does.

I've also tried going to FILE-->NEW-->TEXT DOCUMENT from the start openoffice application and again, the splash screen will open, but OpenOffice will never start.

I'm an experienced Mac and OS X user, but I'm fairly new to X11 and XDarwin. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how I can fix this??

Any help is most appreciated!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject:

How long are you waiting for it to start? The first time it starts up, it may take some time as it goes about searching through all the fonts. This can take up to a minute and a half, at least that's what it is on my slowest machine (400 mHz TI, 256 MB ram).

(for those interested, it takes 7 seconds on a G5...whoops, is that timing info under NDA? Wink )

You should also check your Console application for crash logs from soffice.bin. While unlikely, it's possible it may have crashed and not closed its window...it may be re-crashing while trying to do its autosave/bug reporter thing.

If there's nothing there from soffice.bin, you may want to launch it from a Terminal (see instructions in the README) and see if it's giving any useful error info. I suspect that you may either need to wait longer or it may be crashing on one of your fonts in the OpenTTFont as mentioned in this thread.

ed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Ed, I'm waiting about 30-45 seconds. In some instances, however, I've kept the X11 or XDarwin environment open for many minutes in the background with nothing ever coming up.

I left it now for about 5 minutes with nothing coming up. In looking at the log, the application is crashing (I also verified that it's not running via TOP).

I *AM* using Extensis Suitcase for font management on the system and have a limited number of fonts available in both my OS 9 and X system folders.

Here's what I got in console when I launched OpenOffice from the start OpenOffice:

## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (regR/carP/x!bt)
Got 0 from XGrabPointer -no need for fake button click.
Jul 13 22:00:30 internetmin99 WindowServer[188]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x141a3 for over 1.000000 seconds

Here's what's in the soffice.bin.crash.log file:

Date/Time: 2003-07-13 00:16:51 -0400
OS Version: 10.2.6 (Build 6L60)
Host: internetmin99.local.

Command: soffice.bin
PID: 6229

Exception: EXC_BREAKPOINT (0x0006)
Code[0]: 0x00000001Code[1]: 0x8fe01280

Thread 0 Crashed:
#0 0x8fe01280 in halt
#1 0x8fe106b4 in link_in_need_modules
#2 0x8fe102d0 in bind_lazy_symbol_reference
#3 0x8fe00ec0 in stub_binding_helper_interface
#4 0x960a3fa0 in driCreatePixelFormat
#5 0x960a428c in driMesaCreateScreen
#6 0x9608758c in AllocAndFetchScreenConfigs
#7 0x960876f4 in __glXInitialize
#8 0x9608578c in glXGetConfig
#9 0x00ea3b8c in SalOpenGL::_MakeVisualWeights(_XDisplay *, XVisualInfo *, int *, int)
#10 0x00eba5c4 in SalDisplay::_BestVisual(_XDisplay *, int, XVisualInfo &)
#11 0x00eb91cc in SalXLib::_Init(int *, char **)
#12 0x00eb8e64 in SalData::_Init(int *, char **)
#13 0x00ec1578 in InitSalMain(void)
#14 0x00d3708c in InitVCL(com::sun::star::uno::Reference<com::sun::star::lang::XMultiServiceFactory> const &)
#15 0x00d36f2c in SVMain(void)
#16 0x00eb8960 in main
#17 0x000026b0 in _start
#18 0x000024e0 in start

PPC Thread State:
srr0: 0x8fe01280 srr1: 0x0002d030 vrsave: 0x00000000
xer: 0x20000000 lr: 0x8fe09c38 ctr: 0x8fe29468 mq: 0x00000000
r0: 0x00000004 r1: 0xbfffeb40 r2: 0x8fe0b7f4 r3: 0x00000109
r4: 0x00000000 r5: 0x00000109 r6: 0x0000000a r7: 0x2e64796c
r8: 0x52362f6c r9: 0x00000000 r10: 0x8fe4850c r11: 0x0000001a
r12: 0x8fe71b30 r13: 0x00000000 r14: 0x00000000 r15: 0x00000000
r16: 0x00000000 r17: 0x00000000 r18: 0x00000000 r19: 0xbfffef50
r20: 0x0024d6c0 r21: 0x00000001 r22: 0x0024e6d4 r23: 0x0024f190
r24: 0x0024d7b0 r25: 0xa6063768 r26: 0x960b4d18 r27: 0x960c0841
r28: 0x8fe4841c r29: 0x8fe484ec r30: 0x8fe484ec r31: 0x8fe099bc

Any thoughts or ideas???

Thanks for the prompt reply Ed!

Regards,
Ted
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject:

OK, you've run into what looks like the "infamous" libGL bug. The problem stems from the fact that OS X has its own "libGL.dylib", while Apple X11 has an identically named library called "libGL.dylib". To solve the problem, try opening a Terminal and:

Code:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib
sudo mv libGL.dylib x11.libGL.dylib

That will attempt to rename the Apple X11 library so it's not loaded by OOo. That's what's causing the crash. I experienced a similar thing the first time that I ever ran on X11. I just tend to remove it by defualt.

Alternatively, make sure that "/usr/X11R6/lib" isn't in your path since that's what causes the problem to manifest itself. I believe Start OOo no longer puts this in the path, but some of the build instructions and alternative launchers still contain it.

ed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Ed, still no luck.

I launched both X11 and OroborOSX and the same thing after entering the above suggestion.

I also then went to xterm in OroborOSX and typed in:

% setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
% setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications.OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter
% cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program
% sh soffice

The response I got was:

Display can do XRender, but no installed.
Please install for improved display performace
Abort

Any suggestions?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject:

If you moved it out of the way and are starting from a terminal, you should be able to put "/usr/X11R6/lib" on the path to get XRender.

Can you check to see if you've got a different crashlog for soffice.bin now? At the bottom of the file should be something different. Did you see a splashscreen b4 the crash? If so, the easy money may be riding on OpenTTFont.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Re:X11 and OroborOSX

Anonymous wrote:
I launched both X11 and OroborOSX and the same thing after entering the above suggestion.

Just clarify one thing for me - are you trying to have BOTH X11.app and OroborOSX running at the same time? If so, that is probably not a good idea. Definitely sounds like your problem is some conflict between libraries (perhaps something you installed with Fink). Suggest you reboot, and only use one of the X11 servers for any further experimenting.

I suggest you do the following from a Terminal window :

setenv DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES

and

open "path/to/Start OpenOffice.org"

or the command line you normally use to launch OOo.

and if using "Start OpenOffice.org", after launching OOo fails, without quitting "Start OpenOffice.org" (assuming it is still running), do the following in a Terminal window :

cat /tmp/Start*

If you see anything obviously wrong in the information displayed, tell us. Otherwise I guess you will need to paste some of the information here (it might be rather long).

Regards, Terry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Terry,

No, I'm not running both X11 and Orobor at the same time. I tried running open office in one (X11) then quit X11 and then tried running it in Orobor. Sorry for the confusion with the teminology.

I'm actually installing everything on my desktop G4 as well as we speak to further test.

I will follow what you noted above and get you a response in a bit.

Thanks!

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I got OpenOffice working on my **desktop** G4. I installed XDarwin and Orobor. I did *not* install Apple's X11.

Everything loaded just fine.

So now the big issue is the laptop. Is there anyway to uninstall my XWindows distributions from both Apple and XDarwin and Orobor and start from scratch??

Perhaps that's the path of least resistance. I have done no customization to my distributions, so I don't mind getting rid of them.
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Still no lunck with OpenOffice

I tried what Terry suggested:

setenv DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES
and
open "path/to/Start OpenOffice.org"

It still didn't work.

I uninstalled X11 by following the instructions at: http://www.xdarwin.org/faq/#top31

sudo rm -rf /usr/X11R6
sudo rm -rf /etc/X11
sudo rm -rf /Applications/X11.app

I then reinstalled XFree86 4.2as well as the updates to 4.2.1.1. I then reinstalled OpenOffice (after having uninstalled it).

Launched OpenOffice again after the new installations and still the same behavior and crash.

I'm baffled. Help!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject:

What were the libraries that were printed out when you set the print libraries flag to true? Do you have a different stack trace from after you reinstalled XFree86? If you did clean off everything from Apple X11 on the box (the instructions seem spot on) then I'll need to get the new stack trace to track down the issue. It may most likely be the OpenTTFont issue (freetype not liking one of the fonts on your box that we'll have to work around), but you may have found something new and obscure! sorry if you didn't want to hear the last one Wink

Also, 4.2.0 had multiple upgraders for XonX...one was 10.1 only, the other was 10.2 only. This will go away with 4.3.0 which is 10.2 only. The installer is under Downloads link on the left here; as soon as I get torrey's blessing it'll be up on XonX. Guess who's the new XonX maintainer of the OS X installers...Wink

ed
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject:

Here's what I got... Note that I did this from Terminal.app and not from an XDarwin xterm because I couldn't copy and paste and I'm not familiar enough with XWindows on how to capture the screen results.

[internetmin99:~] theo% setenv DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES
[internetmin99:~] theo% open "path/to/Start OpenOffice.org"
loading libraries for image: open
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
loading library: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonSound.framework/Versions/A/CarbonSound
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
loading library: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
loading library: /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/ATS
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/QD
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesis
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/FindByContent.framework/Versions/A/FindByContent
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
loading library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPDFRIP.A.dylib
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPSRIP.A.dylib
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonSound.framework/Versions/A/CarbonSound
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebServicesCore.framework/Versions/A/WebServicesCore
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/ATS
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
loading library: /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
loading library: /usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/QD
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LangAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/LangAnalysis
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesis
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/FindByContent.framework/Versions/A/FindByContent
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPDFRIP.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPSRIP.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/DirectoryService.framework/Versions/A/DirectoryService
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebServicesCore.framework/Versions/A/WebServicesCore
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/libcups.2.dylib
loading library: /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.dylib
loading library: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.dylib
loading libraries for image: /System/Library/Frameworks/DirectoryService.framework/Versions/A/DirectoryService
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.dylib
loading libraries for image: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.dylib
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/Current/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/HIToolbox
loading library: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore
2003-07-15 09:12:24.672 open[4800] No such file: /Users/theo/path/to/Start OpenOffice.org
[internetmin99:~] theo%
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Suitcase and fonts

Ed,

I'm running Extensis Suitcase for font management on my machine. I quit Suitcase and relaunched OpenOffice and still no luck.

I am running the bare minimum of fonts in both OS X and OS 9 font folders. I have all my other fonts located in my home directory and in a special folder called "Suitcase Fonts." Unless Suitcase activates them, they are not loaded into the system.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject:

Ah, misunderstanding here perhaps Smile

When we put something like "/path/to/Start OpenOffice.org" in one of our commands, we intend that to be used as a 'placeholder', e.g. the "/path/to" gets replaced by the fully qualified POSIX style path to where you installed OpenOffice.org.

For example, if you have installed OOo in the default location in Applications,

"/path/to/Start OpenOffice.org"

is really

"/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Start OpenOffice.org"

Note that in a Terminal you ust either escape spaces in a path (with the backslash character \ right before the space) or you must put the whole path in double-quotes, as illustrated above.

That said, if you have many fonts (assuming so as Suitcase is involved) I suspect you probably have a font related crash. OOo actually doesn't interact with suitcase...it just tries to translate all the fonts it can find at startup time which, in your case, is probably very big.

Try the following:

1) In the Finder open the "/Applications/OpenOffice.org/share/fonts/truetype" folder

2) Make a temporary folder on your desktop or somewhere.

3) Move all of the files in that truetype folder into the temporary folder, e.g. so nothing is left.

4) Open that temporary folder and search for a single font named OpenSymbol.ttf. OpenOffice.org needs this to properly display bullets and the like. Move it back into the truetype folder.

5) In the Finder open the "/Applications/OpenOffice.org/share/psprint" folder.

6) Move the file named "pspfontcache" to the trash.

7) Try restarting OOo.

Hopefully, OOo will launch. If it does launch, then this crash was in OpenTTFont. My suggestion would then be to quit OOo, repeat steps 4-7 moving in your "critical" fonts you need from the .ttf files in the temp folder into the truetype folder. You need to nuke pspfontcache each time in order to force OOo to see the new fonts. Hopefully one of your most needed/favorite fonts isn't the one killing OOo.

ed
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Terminal

Ed,

I'm laughing because I thought that is what was being said and also did it as:

/Applications/Openoffice1.0.3/program

and got the same looking results, so I questioned myself and thought it was something in XWindows that I was unfamiliar with.

Anyway, made me laugh too Smile

I'll try what you said below at somepoint this afternoon and let you know.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3