NeoOffice :: View topic - Getting Neolight Source
Getting Neolight Source

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iball
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Getting Neolight Source

Hi,
I am trying to get a copy of the source code for NeoLight.

I tried to download it from the CVS, using both the instructions in the Wiki, and the web interface linked in the Sticky in this forum. However, neither worked. The command line method gave the following error:
Code:
[iballs-powerbook-g4-12:~] ian% cvs co neolight
cvs server: cannot find module `neolight' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

Any ideas of what is wrong?

Thanks
--ian
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

My bad. I forgot to include that module in the sync of the secure CVS to public CVS. It should be there now and cvsweb should be working on it.

On a brighter note, I'm stoked that someone wants to look at it! Yay! Smile

ed
donmontalvo
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: i'd like to give the spotlight plugin a try

OPENSTEP wrote:
My bad. I forgot to include that module in the sync of the secure CVS to public CVS. It should be there now and cvsweb should be working on it.

On a brighter note, I'm stoked that someone wants to look at it! Yay! Smile

ed

...is the neolight project at the point where testers are needed?

don

don montalvo, nyc
curmudgeon at large
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

It's been incorporated into mainline Neo for at least 6 months, so probably you're already "testing" it Smile It's been pretty stable with only the minor tweak here and there.

ed
donmontalvo
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
It's been incorporated into mainline Neo for at least 6 months, so probably you're already "testing" it Smile It's been pretty stable with only the minor tweak here and there.

ed

nice. where is the plugin?

/Library/Spotlight directory only contains:

AppleWorks.mdimporter
iMovie.mdimporter
iWeb.mdimporter
Keynote.mdimporter
Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter
Microsoft Office.mdimporter
Pages.mdimporter
SourceCode.mdimporter

~/Library/Spotlight directory only contains:

FontMDI.mdimporter

no mention of neooffice in system preferences > spotlight. am i missing something?
we've moved everyone from entourage to thunderbird (a very successful migration in all our client shops). now we need to get the ball rolling on replacing microsoft office 2004. we (myself and our pc admin collegues) decided to go with neooffice given it's usability edge over the other options. i need to get a better understanding of how key features work (our users are heavy spotlight users...they deal with tons of text and image files - searching via spotlight is key).

ps, why does neooffice not have a "donate" menu option? we try to do our part and toss a few bucks at the opensource community when their stuff proves useful. we encourage our users to do the same (specifically when opensource gets them out of a jam - where microsoft and their spinning beach ball got them into the jam).

thanks,
don

don montalvo, nyc
curmudgeon at large
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

NeoLight is included in the NeoOffice bundle, so it always gets upgraded as NeoOffice gets upgraded (and users don't have to worry about/manage a separate install). It only handles OpenOffice.org 1.x (.sx* and .st*) and OpenDocument files, not any of the other file types that Neo/OOo can open.

As for the menu item, we try to modify the underlying OOo code as little as possible while still making it Mac-like, to make the task of keeping up with the latest releases as "easy as possible" (which is not terribly easy), so adding custom menu items is not high on the list.

Note also that in non-final versions, Neo will pop up our "contributing" web page every so often (this can be disabled by sysadmins).

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

Like sardisson said, it's in the "Contents/Library/Spotlight" subfolder of the application bundle. Installing Spotlight plugins within the application bundle is one of the recomended approaches from Apple along with other extensions like Automator actions. It's actually nice since if you drag-drop to another machine or if you launch a system from a different partition both OS X installations can locate the plugin.

A unique document type doesn't show up in the "Search Results" listing of the Spotlight System Preference as that lists only the Apple provided types. Spotlight plugins do not define new types so you'll have to gripe at Apple for that one Sad In Spotlight search results, older style OOo 1.x documents and OpenDocument (OOo 2) files will show up in the "Documents" group of the search results.

If you want to verify that your system has found the plugin, open a Terminal and issue the following command:

Code:

mdimport -L

You should see the neolight plugin within the NeoOffice application bundle in the listing of recognized plugins.

ed
donmontalvo
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Like sardisson said, it's in the "Contents/Library/Spotlight" subfolder of the application bundle. Installing Spotlight plugins within the application bundle is one of the recomended approaches from Apple along with other extensions like Automator actions. It's actually nice since if you drag-drop to another machine or if you launch a system from a different partition both OS X installations can locate the plugin.

A unique document type doesn't show up in the "Search Results" listing of the Spotlight System Preference as that lists only the Apple provided types. Spotlight plugins do not define new types so you'll have to gripe at Apple for that one Sad In Spotlight search results, older style OOo 1.x documents and OpenDocument (OOo 2) files will show up in the "Documents" group of the search results.

If you want to verify that your system has found the plugin, open a Terminal and issue the following command:

Code:

mdimport -L

You should see the neolight plugin within the NeoOffice application bundle in the listing of recognized plugins.

ed

here's my result:

$ mdimport -L
2006-11-23 13:35:46.061 mdimport[19500] Paths: id(501) (
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",
"/Users/montalvd/Library/Spotlight/FontMDI.mdimporter",
"/Applications/OmniGraffle Professional.app/Contents/Library/ Spotlight/OmniGraffle.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/AppleWorks.mdimporter",
"/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Keynote.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Pages.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/iMovie.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter",
"/Applications/Linotype FontExplorer X.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/FontExplorerXMDI.mdimporter",
"/Users/montalvd/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane/Contents/ Resources/GrowlHelperApp.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/GrowlImporter.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter"

looks like linotype and omnigroup have their act together along with you guys. Smile

don

edited to break the long path that breaks the layout

don montalvo, nyc
curmudgeon at large
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, OmniGroup does that style as well. Apple tends to put everything for their applications and provided system-level filters in /Library, even for applications that aren't on every machine. I, for example, will never have any reason for the Entourage filter Wink

ed
donmontalvo
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Yeah, OmniGroup does that style as well. Apple tends to put everything for their applications and provided system-level filters in /Library, even for applications that aren't on every machine. I, for example, will never have any reason for the Entourage filter Wink

ed

wait....did you just use the "e" word? moderators! moderators! foul language!

hehe...happy holidays!

don

don montalvo, nyc
curmudgeon at large
hydromet
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: How to uninstall / upgrade NeoLight

Hi,

I had previously installed the NeoLight plugin back in the days when it was a separate downloadable plugin. In fact, I can still find the older version here:

> $ mdimport -L

yields:

> "/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter",

I have since installed the most current version of NeoLight (I keep my Applications on a non-boot disc volume that is on a hard drive hanging off my Mac) like this:

> /Volumes/disc2/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/ neolight.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/neolight

However, the latter does not show up in the output of mdimport -L (only the original installed version does). So what do I need to do in order to correctly remove the original and somehow tell Spotlight to start using the newer version located in the NeoOffice.app directory tree? Does the process for doing so differ if I'm running on Mac OS X 10.4.x Server v.s. Mac OS X 10.4.x non-server?

Also, why is the most recent version of neolight that ships with NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2 Patch 1 assert that it was compiled 2 October 2005 when clearly this release (because I'm using it on an Intel Mac) had to have been compiled on a date later than 2005? Unless I'm living in a dream world, Steve Jobs first announced that the transition to Intel would begin in the year 2006 and the first Intel Macs were the MacBook Pros that showed up at MacWorld Expo January 2006. Specifically:

> $ ls -alter

yields:

> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root admin 87656 Oct 2 2005 neolight

Thanks for the clarification!

edited to break the long path that breaks the layout
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to uninstall / upgrade NeoLight

hydromet wrote:
However, the latter does not show up in the output of mdimport -L (only the original installed version does). So what do I need to do in order to correctly remove the original and somehow tell Spotlight to start using the newer version located in the NeoOffice.app directory tree?

Presumably just delete the old one and reinstall Neo—or possibly just delete the old one and run the command that gets run in the postinstall/postflight script:
Code:
/usr/bin/mdimport -r /path/to/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter

hydromet wrote:
Also, why is the most recent version of neolight that ships with NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2 Patch 1 assert that it was compiled 2 October 2005 when clearly this release (because I'm using it on an Intel Mac) had to have been compiled on a date later than 2005? Unless I'm living in a dream world, Steve Jobs first announced that the transition to Intel would begin in the year 2006 and the first Intel Macs were the MacBook Pros that showed up at MacWorld Expo January 2006.

No, the neolight.mdimporter in the NeoOffice tree dates from October 2005, but the actual binary, plist, etc., date from September 2006.

Edit: I see you're running an ancient version of Neo 2, which could have preceded the latest NeoLight update. What I say below still applies, though.

If you were running 10.4 in the fall of 2005, you could already build Universal Binaries in Xcode 2.x (the Intel transition was announced at WWDC in June 2005, along with a new version of Xcode 2 that supported Universal compiles).

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you'll want to delete the old plugin, then do that mdimport -r command like sardisson mentioned. If you installed in the default location, you'll want to do :

Code:

/usr/bin/mdimport -r /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter

Spotlight really doesn't deal well in 10.4 with multiple versions of the same plugin in different locations...it sees the new one with a newer version and is like "hey, I can already import these with this" and never starts using the new version. I don't know of any way around this aside from manually deleting it.

Good point however...I should check for earlier versions in the next installer and delete them if possible Smile

ed
hydromet
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks!

Sardisson and TheOne thanks for the heads up on installation changes of neolight, this is much appreciated. Also, thanks for pointing out I have an older version of NeoOffice on my server (I hadn't caught this myself even though on my Intel iMac I'm running NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 Patch 1.

Cheers!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1