NeoOffice :: View topic - Font issues
Font issues

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fermion
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Font issues

Hi,

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Please accept my apology and point me to where I can find the answer to my question.

I am running a 2 GHz Intel Macbook with OSX 10.4.7. New to the mac experience having recently switched from 5 years of linux use, I naturally installed the latest version of openoffice (2.0.3) running under X11. I was very quickly disappointed with the X11 method, deciding it was not an elegant solution. I then installed Neooffice (2.0 Aqua Beta 3 Patch 1). To my dismay, I have issues with fonts.

The bold and italics fonts won't display on screen. When exported to a pdf they work fine. This is similar to a problem reported on this forum sometime ago http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2763#2763

My question is thus: how do I fix the problem. I was unable to find the answer.

Thanks,
Fermion
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject:

There are several bugs in Bugzilla that refer to a bold/italic problem. You could try downloading the latest test patches to see if they fix your problem:

PowerPC:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_3-Patch-1-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_3-Patch-1-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Failing that have a look at this bug in Bugzilla.

Andy.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Patch 2 has been released; you should download this patch instead of the test patch.
Fermion
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies.

The latest patch has fixed the problem for many of the fonts. A few fonts don't work, but I am happy to stick with the fonts that work!

Thanks again,
Fermion
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:

If you can, please provide some information on the fonts that don't work so we can try to track down the remaining matching problems. Are they standard Mac OS X fonts, or were they ones you purchased separately? Unfortunatley it's hard for us to track down problems with commercial fonts, but thankfully in the past most of them have been able to be reproduced with one of the standard fonts.

ed
Fermion
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:

Apologies for the delay in replying. The only font to date that I have noticed not working properly is Lucida Grande. I do not know where I obtained it from. Bold works with it but not italics.

Cheers
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:

This is not a bug. Not all fonts have italic versions. In your case, Apple only ships Lucida Grande and Lucida Grande Bold with Mac OS X and there is no Lucida Grande Italic font.

Patrick
chops
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Fonts don't work

Sick of the bloated M$ Office we use on campus, I downloaded NeoOffice today. Unfortunately, most of my fonts don't work. Purged the font caches, still no joy. I made a search for font issues here but don't see any advice other than "apply the latest patch/version".

I use Suitcase Fusion. Is this a problem? Is there any sage advice out there for those of us who use lots of fonts? I must use them so if I can't find a solution I'll have to give up on NeoOffice for now.

Thanks...

MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.9, NeoOffice 2.1 Patch 0
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice Chops,

It sounds like you may have come problems and/or corruption with the fonts on your system.
I found several corrupted fonts on my PowerMac G4 when I started using NeoOffice.
I used Font Book to Validate Fonts and the problems went away.

I suggest that you check out the NeoWiki Troubleshooting_Tips, especially the section about FONTS. Sad
It's a good idea to check all the issues listed to get the best performance out of NeoOffice 2.1.
I don't know what problems you many have using Suitcase Fusion. Neo works best with the default system setups, and fonts. YMMV

Hope this helps, and you find NeoOffice a GREAT as many others have.

Philip ( Who knew that "fonts" could get corrupted! Embarassed )

rob_06
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

10.4.9 update caused quite a few font duplicates to appear and these will cause problems until removed.

The easiest way I have found is to open Font Bok and use the resolve duplicates this will remove them for you.
chops
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Font issues

Thanks, rob_06, there were lots of dupes. Turns out Suitcase has a tool for them too.

Another reason I'm sick of M$ Office is that it handles fonts so poorly. Mad I support an Art department, and people here use Office and the Adobe CS. Office already has font cache corruption problems, but on a Mac with Adobe CS the issue comes up frequently. Then add that graphic designers are font freaks and you have a bad situation. Shocked The need to purge font caches has become so ubiquitous around here that I deployed an Applescript for faculty and students that purges and restarts. I hope M$ fixes the font handling in Office 2008, but I also hope I won't care! Heh heh heh. Twisted Evil

Thanks again...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

rob_06 wrote:
10.4.9 update caused quite a few font duplicates to appear and these will cause problems until removed.

The easiest way I have found is to open Font Bok and use the resolve duplicates this will remove them for you.
another one for the Wiki!

Philip ( where is that Wiki message Rolling Eyes )
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject:

Philip, I am glad to tell you that I have made the article in spanish here:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Es:Problemas_con_tipos_de_letras

and I name it:
"Problems with fonts"
because I think that there we can put many other problems like that...

Thank you again for your help, effort and encouragement!!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker,

Many Thanks for your efforts. I see that there already is a French version. Smile
I used SeaMonkey to view an English translation!

Mystic Wiki Elves ... ROCK! Cool

Philip ( I don't log on for a few days and everything ... changes - for the Better! Wink )
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject:

I just translated in English. But maybe SeaMonkey is better than I. Rolling Eyes

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2