Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Chapter (Outline) Numbering mangled/reset! :(
Chapter (Outline) Numbering mangled/reset! :(

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMHein
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Chapter (Outline) Numbering mangled/reset! :(

Hi,

I'm about to write my master thesis, and somewhere after the first third of it, the chapter number got reset, so any new chapter, subchapter, etc. is starting from '1' instead from the most recent one, eg. 2.3.1 or 3.

How can I fix this?

- Martin
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Hi Martin, welcome to the forums at trinity.

I can't give you an immediate answer, but I would imagine it means checking on your page styles or the like. I would suggest that you look at some wiki articles that may be helpful:

Creating a Table of Contents
Using Page Styles

If you are using a Master Document, the articles on Master Documents may be of help as well.

If those articles don't provide the answer you need, please post back with what you've tried and we'll take it from there.

Lorinda
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject:

I've seen a couple of bugs like this opened in bugzilla. In both cases it had related to importing a word document and was also apparent in OpenOffice.

Also its worth noting that the Paragraph styles and the Bullets and Numbering styles, there are options to restart numbering

Format > Styles and Formatting > right click on style > modify > Numbering > Restart at this paragraph.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject:

I had my own very long string of problems with chapter numbering for scientific papers, both with OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice; and I may say that it confused me more than with other word processors (hello, Redmond!).

Here is what I learned:

NEVER use "Format > Bullets and Numbering..." directly.
NEVER format numbering in any paragraph style directly.
If you have done one or both of the above, undo it.
USE ONLY "Tools > Outline Numbering..." and format numbering, levels and associate them there with paragraph styles (Headings).
And, finally and naturally, use these paragraph styles (Headings) for structuring your document.

That way, my documents usually look nice & the TOC either.

Another hint: If you want to save any outline numbering configuration, don't bother with the nice looking Format > Save As... button in the Outline Numbering window – it doesn't work (all saved data will be lost between sessions). I never found out if that is a bug or simply a complete other feature which I don't understand. If you want to preserve your chapter numbering config, you have to make a template. And as that is another nice story altogether, I suggest to begin with the (in most cases quite excellent) NeoOffice User help (Text Documents > Formatting Text Documents > Templates and Styles).

EDIT: Minor correction.
MMHein
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks to all!

It worked!

Never ever use Numbering in the document directly.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject:

I added doctype's tips about numbering to the wiki page on Table of Contents I linked to above.

I also added a link to this thread?

Has anyone been successful in saving Numbering formats from the Outline Numbering window? Or should I add the warning about that the the TOC article as well?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Has anyone been successful in saving Numbering formats from the Outline Numbering window? Or should I add the warning about that the the TOC article as well?

There is an issue open at OOo from August, 29 2006.

http://porting.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=69049

So I think one could mention, that that feature is currently not available (It anyway seems to me silly to save each level, the way by template - save the whole structure - makes much more sense).
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks for finding the OOo Issuezilla report. I have yet to successfully search Issuezilla!

I have added a warning to the appropriate page.

Lorinda
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I have yet to successfully search Issuezilla!

This time I had luck. Smile

I always us only the "Summary" field and leave everything else untouched in the query window.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1