· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo Calc Check boxes
Neo Calc Check boxes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superakamu
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Neo Calc Check boxes

Hello again, I am trying to put check boxes in my NeoCalc sheet so that I can check things off as I do them. Problem is I don't know how to insert them. Please help. Also once I do that I would also like to have some check boxes that when checked will apply a formula to a sum. So for example, I would like to have a price then I would like to select if or if not I apply tax using the check box. Then In the sum I would like it to reflect if or if not I checked the box to add the tax.

Also, I have placed a filter on my fields and it works great but I would to be able to see the sum of the filtered out rows rather then always seeing the sum of all the rows. I would like to just be able to hit my filter button and see the new sum of those items. Any Ideas?
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Hello again, I am trying to put check boxes in my NeoCalc sheet so that I can check things off as I do them. Problem is I don't know how to insert them. Please help.
One thing at a time. First, let's get some check boxes into your spreadsheet. I don't know exactly how you intend to use this, but here's how to insert check boxes.

* Open a new Calc document
    * Select View->Toolbars->Form Controls
    --a pallette will become visible. Mine has two columns of icons. Select the top right icon (a draftsman's triangle); It's the "Design mode on/off" icon. Once you click this, all the controls which are available to the spreadsheet will light up.
    * Select the Check Box icon, left column, third icon down. Looks like a check box.
    * When you move the cursor into the sheet, it will change to a plus-sign.
    * Draw a rectangle big enough to contain a check box and its prompt text, like so:
    [] Check Box.
    -- The check box will appear, but it'll probably be covered up by the anchor symbol, showing that it's anchored to a cell. It's there; you just can't see it. What will be visible is the prompt text "Check Box." We'll fix this next.

Now you've got your check box placed. Let's make it useful. While still in design mode, right click on the check box (anywhere among the green handles that surround it.) From the context menu, select "Control..." The Control properties dialog will appear. Click on the "General" tab if it isn't selected.
    * In the "Name" box, enter a logical name. No spaces or punctuation.
    * In the "Label" box, enter what you want to appear next to the check box on the spreadsheet. "Task #1" for example, without the quotes. You can enter any text you like.
    * Leave "Label Field" alone.
    * In the next three fields, make sure "Enabled" is "Yes." Choose whether you want the check box to print or not, and whether you want to be able to tab to the checkbox. (For your checklist, I'd set this one to "No." Try it both ways though.)
    * You can set whatever font face you want for the prompt text in the Font field. Click on the button to the right of the field to see all the choices.
    * Scroll the window to see all the choices. You may want to enter something in the Help Text field. Whatever you put there will appear when you roll over the check box with the mouse.

You now have a box that you can check and uncheck. Maybe it even has some help text associated with it. But how do you use it? Click on the "Data" tab, and let's find out:

*The first field under the Data tab is the "Linked Cell" field. Here, you can choose what cell will be linked to your check box. Pick a visible cell that is away from your check box, let's say E1 for illustration.
    * Enter E1 in the "Linked Cell" field. The "Data field" line will dim.
    * Next, look at the "Reference value (on)" line. Enter a number here that will be what you want cell E1 to be if the box is checked.
    * The "Reference value (off)" line lets you enter a number for E1 if the box is not checked.

You can, of course, select any cell that you want to be linked to the checkbox, and can enter any reference values for on/off conditions that you like. Tax rate, maybe? You can make the contents of the linked cell invisible (background same as text color), and reference it in formulas elsewhere on the sheet if it suits you.

To use your check boxes, click on that draftsman's triangle icon in the toolbar again to turn off Design Mode. Now your boxes will work as expected.

This should give you some ideas about how you can use checkboxes on a spreadsheet. You'd be better off to ask just one question per post, though. It works out better when others search for the same information on the forum.

Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:

FYI, I've added a link to Jim's instructions on the "New Articles Needed" page of the wiki.

Lorinda, friendly wiki elf
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:

It's a very good idea Lorinda.
Thank you Jim for the tips Very Happy

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1