· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Look-and-Feel Summit
Look-and-Feel Summit

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Look-and-Feel Summit

People expressed the need for a discussion about what parts of the look and feel should be adapted. Well, here goes:

The look:
- Patrick and Ed are well on their way to have native menu's, blue buttons and such.
- Patrick and Ed have decided they will focus on implementing this and not worry about the rest until this is finished.
- Patrick and Ed do great work when not interrupted, so I suggest we don't bug them to redirect their efforts.

The only left might be to make a complete list of the elements of the look we want to have made native. For now I'll list:
-Menus (halfway done, some bugs remain)
-Print and file dialogs (print mostly done, some bugs)
-Scroll bars
-App background color

-Toolbar and file icons (these are relatively easily changed by the users without a recompile and will therefore be discussed below).

The feel:
- Some of this can be changed by users. The resulting config files can be exchanged.
-Other parts will require a recompile. Patrick and Ed may eventually look at this.

What do we want here (again, elaborate and discuss as you desire):
-Reorder menu's so that the items that have a fixed place in the Apple Aqua HIG are actually in that place ("About," "Options/Preferences")
-Adapt keyboard shortcuts to comply with Aqua HIG.
-Change any relevant sounds, or other prettiness.

End-user tasks:
-Discuss what menu items should be moved.
-Discuss keyboard shortcuts.
-Draw and/or cobble together icon sets (see other threads for sources and means of doing so).
-Any other changes (I personally exchanged 'Paste' for 'Paste special' in the toolbar because I usually prefer to paste text from other application without the cumbersome formatting codes). Maybe a good guide or help file for end users would be nice.
-Wrap one or several of these adaptations in a nice installer package and put it up for downloading.

What I don't quite understand is any possible connection to the Menu->Extra->Options->NeoOffice/J->Display options for a Default, XWindows, Macintosh or OS/2 look and feel. To what extent does this change the UI and to what extent is it possible to install extra choices here? Maybe this is best discussed in a seperate topic, to distance it from the cosmetic discussion I'd like to start here.

Anyone care to inject their view?

Oscar
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Look-and-Feel Summit

ovvldc wrote:
People expressed the need for a discussion about what parts of the look and feel should be adapted. Well, here goes:

Thanks, Oscar, for starting this thread. Perhaps there should be pointers to this thread in other threads where this was last discussed (for folks who might be interested but don't normally read the Development forum)? [Edit: I posted a pointer in the Aqua menus thread; Oscar, you have the last post in the NeoJ Testing "Alternate Icons" thread, so you could just edit your post with a pointer and thereby not "bump" that topic up to the top unfairly.]

ovvldc wrote:
The feel:
- Some of this can be changed by users. The resulting config files can be exchanged.
-Other parts will require a recompile. Patrick and Ed may eventually look at this.

What do we want here (again, elaborate and discuss as you desire):
-Reorder menu's so that the items that have a fixed place in the Apple Aqua HIG are actually in that place ("About," "Options/Preferences")

Just a quick note for anyone who's not investigated this: we can't do anything about moving items/functionality to the "NeoOffice/J" menu...that requires Patrick/Ed to to heavy lifting behind the scenes. So moving "About" and "Preferences" to that menu is out...however, we can move/rename anything else on any of the other menus, at least to a more-AAHIG-compliant location.... (For instance, I've added a Preferences… item to my Edit menu (a la Mac OS 7-9) that is equivalent to the OOo Options item.)

ovvldc wrote:
-Adapt keyboard shortcuts to comply with Aqua HIG.

-Change any relevant sounds, or other prettiness.

Again for those who haven't investigated this, we have some limits to what keystrokes OOo thinks we should be allowed use (sound anything like a behemoth company we all know? Sad). Under 10.3, the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Keyboard & Mouse system prefs allows us a bit of flexibility now that we have Aqua menus (I believe this writes to a .plist that currently does not have any content from Patrick/NeoJ in it, so these changes also could be exchanged among users).

I wasn't aware that any sound was working in NeoJ (a very limited subset of sound works in X11, but only with XDarwin, not Apple's X11).

ovvldc wrote:
End-user tasks:
-Discuss what menu items should be moved.
-Discuss keyboard shortcuts.

I'd like to prioritize these two; I think they're the easiest to do, so a good starting point, we know they're importable/exportable, and they will make a good addition to the Aqua native menus.

ovvldc wrote:
-Any other changes (I personally exchanged 'Paste' for 'Paste special' in the toolbar because I usually prefer to paste text from other application without the cumbersome formatting codes). Maybe a good guide or help file for end users would be nice.

-Wrap one or several of these adaptations in a nice installer package and put it up for downloading.

IMHO we should try to leave "personal preferences" out of our consideration of changes, unless we have some broad consensus, and remain guided by AAHIG. (Is there some list of appropriate menu items and shortcuts specified in AAHIG, or do we just have to look at TextEdit, etc., as a model?)

But a good guide for end-users to making/extending these changes themselves is essential (those dialogue boxes are terribly complex and not user-friendly; surprise!), as is some sort of friendly installer (unfortunately, I don't think Apple's installer lets one address anything in the ~ hierarchy, so we might have to resort to an AppleScript or shell script solution for "installing" these files, and hoping the mere presences of them is enough to trigger their use--and not some other config file needing to be edited to say "use the custom file for x, y, and z").

ovvldc wrote:
What I don't quite understand is any possible connection to the Menu->Extra->Options->NeoOffice/J->Display options for a Default, XWindows, Macintosh or OS/2 look and feel. To what extent does this change the UI and to what extent is it possible to install extra choices here?

The Macintosh one makes buttons, check-boxes, and non-native window titlebars (are there any left?) emulate (weakly) the Apple Platinum appearance. At one point Patrick had made this be the default for NeoJ, but my latest "fresh profile" launches came up in Default, so I don't know what happened. This will be moot shortly, though, with the native buttons and so-forth.

I really can't think of anything to add to the list, though; this is a very good beginning.

I'm posting my existing menu/shortcuts set at http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/neoj/neoj_men-kybd-cfgs.sit

Please be aware if you apply the menu config, you will lose the titles of your Aqua menus right now (until bug 175 is fixed)! You can remove the menu config and get the menu titles back by Tools>Configure:Menu:Reset.

You can either apply these using Tools>Configure (be sure to select the appropriate radio button in the keyboard section, either for NeoJ or for Writer, when importing those settings) or by unzipping the exported settings files and dropping the .xml files in your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg folder (not sure this will work, as mentioned above).

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Look-and-Feel Summit

ovvldc wrote:
-Draw and/or cobble together icon sets (see other threads for sources and means of doing so).

Re-reading the other threads reminded me that the toolbar icon sets have some technical hurdles yet: http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3683#3683
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Langues étrangers

For the menu configs, we also need to remember locali[zs]ation. When we add/rename/move/delete items, we'll have to create sets in each of the other languages NeoJ supports (at at least that we have volunteers for); otherwise they will inherit all of our [English] items--it seems that saving a config writes out all the existing entries (rather than indicating what/where changes were made), so upon switching my system language to French, my NeoJ menus came up mostly English.... Sad
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fremdsprachen / Idiomas Estranjeros

sardisson wrote:
For the menu configs, we also need to remember locali[zs]ation. When we add/rename/move/delete items, we'll have to create sets in each of the other languages NeoJ supports (at at least that we have volunteers for); otherwise they will inherit all of our [English] items--it seems that saving a config writes out all the existing entries (rather than indicating what/where changes were made), so upon switching my system language to French, my NeoJ menus came up mostly English.... Sad

Rats... Of course. I had almost forgotten these. Of course, when you move an item, you can move the same item in a different language. But it is a lot of work (I don't know how many localisations there are but I bet it is well over a dozen and I won't even be able to *read* some of these..

Is there an XML config file, where you can just manually move the stuff? Might be easier in the long run...

I am also still unclear about why About and Prefences can't be moved. I might be completely wrong here, but I suppose that on the Java side getting the button to attach to an event is not extremely hard. Couldn't we make another menu category (Apple) which is not displayed by NeoOffice but to which the button in the real Apple menu point? Of course, that would require a fork in the OOo code to move these two items and that would be bad... Sorry, will put it out of my head for the next half year.

Best wishes,
Oscar

P.S. Thanks for pointing here in the other thread. I forgot about that. My blondness showing through, I guess..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: The File Open Dialog

Has much/any thought been put into the file open and file save dialog boxes? The current File Open dialog box has the following "bits":

Navigation Window to traverse and/or select the file
Text Box: "File Name"
Text Box: "Version"
Text Box: "File Type"
Checkbox: "Read-Only"

Buttons: "Open", "Cancel", "Help"

Graphical Buttons: Up One Level, Create New Directory, and some other one I don't know what it does.

Question:

What would a mac equivalent of this dialog box look like?

References:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGDialogs/chapter_9_section_4.html

Question #2:

What would the mac equivalent of the SAVE dialog box look like?

References:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGDialogs/chapter_9_section_5.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000962/TPXREF29

BONUS QUESTION #3:

What about the Save Changes Alert box? What should it say?

Hint: current version has question-mark graphic and reads:

The document "NAME OF DOCUMENT" has been modified.
Do you want to save your changes? [Save][Discard][cancel]

Would mockups or NIBs or something be helpful here?
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I realise this may constitute blasphemy, but when NeoJ gets fully aquifered I'm going to miss being able to move from button to button in the dialogs using the cursor keys - especially in the save/discard/cancel dialog.

The one thing that narks me [British for 'annoys', in case you're wondering] with the aqua interface in general is the stubborn refusal to allow easy navigation using keyboard as well as mouse. When using text-input apps such as word processors and spreadsheets, it's daft to be forced to use a mouse half the time, and especially with e.g. open, save - you've just used a key combo to call them up, most likely, and then you have to use the mouse to finish the job. Grumble, gripe.

So what I'm saying here is that if the aquification of NeoJ is actually a behind the scenes top class imitation of aqua rather than the real thing (if we're talking ducks here, or something...) then if you code barons could keep in the possibility of as much keyboard navigation as possible in the dialogs, I for one will be very grateful. I'll understand if that's not the way it's going to go, however. Maybe the aqua-lookalike dialogs that are to come will actually be genuine aqua dialogs, so there might not be any choice.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
The one thing that narks me [British for 'annoys', in case you're wondering] with the aqua interface in general is the stubborn refusal to allow easy navigation using keyboard as well as mouse.

Yoxi, if you're running 10.3, have you tried turning on "Full Keyboard Access" in the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Keyboard & Mouse system prefpane? It sounds like it does what you want....

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The File Open Dialog

Anonymous wrote:
Has much/any thought been put into the file open and file save dialog boxes?
[...]
Would mockups or NIBs or something be helpful here?

I certainly think mockups would be interesting to look at Smile AFAIK, nothing is done with nibs now, rather with some Java stuff, but I don't know what might be required for open/save dialogues (other than some heavy lifting by Patrick/Ed/etc.) Ed actually wrote up a spec/proposal for this a long time ago, though not being a programmer I've never bothered to read it.

Smokey
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I've looked into the open and save dialogues a couple times. i got it in my head that i would be able to do this little thing...

the dialogues are just a simple call, so it seems to me, you just have to replace the function that generates the open/save in OO.o with this call to the native open/save and poof! that's it.

problem is, i don't know where to start to test this idea. i suppose if i could find the function we could do a swap out there...

anyone with a head about this stuff see any error in my thinking? because surely it can't be that easy. (yes, jake it can be... and don't call me shirely)

-j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
I've looked into the open and save dialogues a couple times. i got it in my head that i would be able to do this little thing...

the dialogues are just a simple call, so it seems to me, you just have to replace the function that generates the open/save in OO.o with this call to the native open/save and poof! that's it.

problem is, i don't know where to start to test this idea. i suppose if i could find the function we could do a swap out there...

anyone with a head about this stuff see any error in my thinking? because surely it can't be that easy. (yes, jake it can be... and don't call me shirely)

-j

Ed's document kinda lays it out:

Quote:
File pickers in OpenOffice.org are UNO components that implement the XfilePicker interface. A default crossplatform dialog is present in svtools/source/filepicker. The factory methods for the file picker do not always return instances of the cross platform implementation. If a component implements the “SystemFilePicker” interface, a platform-specific file picker will be used instead.

OpenOffice.org implements its platform native file dialogs within the “fpicker” module. Currently this module contains only Win32 specific implementations. This project aims to add a Mac OS X implementation of the fpicker module.

This would require implementation of a CfileOpenDialog class (fpicker/source/win32/filepicker/FileOpenDlg.hxx) and a CfolderPicker class (fpicker/source/win32/folderpicker/FolderPicker.hxx).

I'm not any kind of programmer, but here's some stuff to think about:

1. A conceptual overview of the File Chooser stuff is here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/AppFileMgmt/index.html

2. The calls for File Choosers in OS X for Java 1.3.1 are described here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java131Development/x_platform/chapter_5_section_4.html

3. The Cocoa Objective-C method NSOpenPanel (FYI) is described here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSOpenPanel.html

4. Human Interface issues are presented here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGDialogs/chapter_9_section_4.html

5. If you wanted to see an example of how this might be done, the latest versions of N/J use the native OS X print dialog boxes. So you may be able to look at that code and get an idea of how it was done.

6. Remember that the dialog boxes to choose or save a file need to be customized slightly from their default configuration. For example, when saving a file, you need to provide the option of saving in different types of formats.

7. Additionally, as ed points out in his document, there is this whole "filter" concept that filters out files based on their extension.

8. I just read that Openoffice 1.1.3 is out. Anyone know if this version will make it to the new N/J alphas?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject:

BTW-- when I double-clicked on Ed's file_picker.sxw.gz file, I got a folder with a bunch of xml files that N/J wouldn't read.

When I gunzipped it from the Terminal, a readable "file" with the proper N/J icon appeared.

In case anyone else had that problem....
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
BTW-- when I double-clicked on Ed's file_picker.sxw.gz file, I got a folder with a bunch of xml files that N/J wouldn't read.

I had that problem, too. It's because OOo files are .zip files (or rather a bunch of xml files all zipped up) and StuffIt Expander is a little over-zealous in its decompressing Smile
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
yoxi wrote:
The one thing that narks me [British for 'annoys', in case you're wondering] with the aqua interface in general is the stubborn refusal to allow easy navigation using keyboard as well as mouse.
Yoxi, if you're running 10.3, have you tried turning on "Full Keyboard Access" in the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Keyboard & Mouse system prefpane? It sounds like it does what you want....

Smokey does it again... I already had it turned on, but I had no idea that it did all that! This is really cool - now I can use iKey 1.x to call up the 'Print to PDF' dialog in any app properly.
Thanks, and sorry I needed telling =)

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Someone heard our screams last month....

marketing: OpenOffice.org Art Project wrote:
4. Finding/creating/linking to Graphics Creation Specifications Documents
(i.e. if someone wants to create new sets of icons for OOo, he/she must be able to find in the Art Project links to the documents that define how the icons for OOo should be built - as file format, number of colors, etc.)
http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/about-to-do.html

Now when that'll get done... Smile

...And some other interesting things, looking forward: New icons in OpenOffice.org 2.0

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2