Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Editing dictionary.lst, adding an .idx file for UK Thesaurus
Editing dictionary.lst, adding an .idx file for UK Thesaurus

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Editing dictionary.lst, adding an .idx file for UK Thesaurus

Hi,

I'm a new Mac user, I've just got an iMac and installed OOo 1.1.2 and then NeoOffice/J (which I prefer so far)

I've searched this forum and read the other threads about dictionaries but couldn't find an answer...

Having no idea about Mac OS X disk structure for programs, I eventually found the dictionary.lst file username > Library > NeoOfficeJ-1.1 > user > wordbook

This includes this line: THES en GB th_en_US which presumably refers to the th_en_US.idx file which is in the folder but appears to be a "shortcut" (don't know if that's what they're called on Macs - alias?).

I have another idx file th_en_GB.idx (a UK/GB thesaurus downloaded from www.8daysaweek.co.uk) that I'd like to try, but I don't know whether to just add it to this folder, or whether the "shortcut" points to another location which I can't find.

I can edit the dictionary.lst file to refer to the new .idx file (THES en GB th_en_GB), but I just don't know where I should put it Confused

Any help would be much appreciated.

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I think this thread has an explanation from Patrick Luby (dev of NeoOffice/J): http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=738.

Note that in order to get to these locations (and the "not found" locations the aliases* you found referred to), you will have to ctrl-click (right-click works if you have a two-button mouse) on the NeoOfficeJ application (in your Applications folder) and choose "Show package contents" from the resulting contextual menu. (Modern Mac apps are a "bundle" or "package," a special folder structure with a (hidden) .app extension that the OS sees as a single application file.)

Hope this helps (if not, someone more versant than me with the dictionaries will hopefully happen by)! And welcome! Smile

Smokey

* Yes, we call "shortcuts" aliases on the Mac. There are actually two types, traditional Mac aliases (made by the Finder's "Make Alias" command and the cmd-opt-drag shortcut and which always point to the same file/folder, no matter where you move that original) and UNIX-style symbolic links ("symlinks," made using a terminal command, and which always point to the same location, whether the contents of that location have changed or not). With NeoOfficeJ (and OOo, being a UNIX app), these are all symlinks, which is why you can't move/rename the app after running it the first time, because the symlinks, and thus the app, will break.
PJW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Note that in order to get to these locations (and the "not found" locations the aliases* you found referred to), you will have to ctrl-click on the NeoOfficeJ application (in your Applications folder) and choose "Show package contents" from the resulting contextual menu.

Thanks Smokey, that really helps. I can play with things now Smile

I must have Ctrl-Clicked or Apple-Clicked on everything but the NeoOfficeJ application Exclamation

I'm sure I'll have more questions before I'm through Wink

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1