NeoOffice :: View topic - 3D-Settings greyed out
3D-Settings greyed out

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanman
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: 3D-Settings greyed out

Dear all,

I created a 3D-object and would like to change the extrusion direction, which should be done through the 3D-Settings tool bar. However, if I select the object and open the tool bar, all icons on the tool bar are greyed out and I can't change anything. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Stan
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

What version and patch of NeoOffice are you using? Also, what component of NeoOffice are you using?

I tried inserting a 3D object in each of the following components, Writer, Calc and Drawing and was able select Extrusion On/Off in the Drawing Toolbar which activated all the options on the 3D-Settings Toolbar.

I'm running NeoOffice 2.2.4 Patch 2 (found from the following menu item, Help :: About NeoOffice.) Mac OS X 10.4.11 on PPC G4.
stanman
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject:

That's odd, because the extrusion on/off button is grey for me, too. I tried it in Impress first, but the same happens in Draw. I'm using NeoOffice 2.2.4 Patch 2 on an Intel 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with Mac OS X 10.4.11.
Could it be related to the Intel version of the software?

Cheers
Stan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject:

It may be a corrupt user preferences file. To test if this is the case, can you try the following steps?:

1. Quit NeoOffice
2. Move the following two folders if they exist (~ means your Home folder):

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1

3. Restart NeoOffice

Does anything change after doing the above steps?

Patrick
stanman
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, renaming the NeoOffice-2.2 directory did not help. What puzzles me even more is that I observe the same problem when doing it in OpenOffice under X. Since narf was able to do it on a PPC G4, it doesn't look like a general OpenOffice bug, though. Am I doing something wrong?

Here is what I tried:
1. In Impress, insert a rectangle, then right-click, convert to 3D
2. In Impress, make the 3D Objects button visible, then click on this button, insert 3D rectangle.

If I select either the converted rectangle or the 3D rectangle created using the second method, the Extrusion On/Off button stays grey.

Not sure if this is connected, but in writer, I can't even create 3D objects. The 3D Objects button does not appear in the list of buttons that I could make visible and Convert "...to 3D" does not exist in the object options.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Stan
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the detailed response Stan. I see now that I was creating a 3D object using a different method. What I did was insert a cube or cylinder from the basic shapes button and then select the Extrusion On/Off button.

I found this OpenOffice.org wiki page which goes into detail about using 3D in Impress much better than I can.

The one note that jumped out at me is that the extrusion button is not available after using "Convert to 3D"

Quote:
You can not apply extrusion to rectangular and oval shapes created using the rectangle and the oval tools respectively. To create a rectangle or oval with 3D effects, select the desired shape from the basic shapes menu. Alternatively, right-click on the object then select Convert > To 3D. Note though that in this case the Extrusion on/off menu will not be enabled.

The Extrusion button is not available in NeoOffice because it is not available in the underlying OpenOffice.org code.

Let us know if that answers your question.
thanks --fran

(Edited for clarity)
stanman
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a lot, fran!

This did answer my question, indeed. Thanks for doing the research for me. I shall be more precise from the start next time to save everybody's time. (And perhaps read the OpenOffice manual before posting...)

Cheers
Stan
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:

No worries Stan. I'm also learning to ask the right questions to get to the bottom of the issues quickly.

I'm glad to hear your question was answered.
--fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1