Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - can I run Neo/J 1.1 A2 and 0.8.4 on the same machine?
can I run Neo/J 1.1 A2 and 0.8.4 on the same machine?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextVet
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: can I run Neo/J 1.1 A2 and 0.8.4 on the same machine?

Can both Neoffice/J 1.1 Alpha 2 and Neoffice/J 0.8.4 coexist on the same machine? If so, should I avoid running them at the same time? I want to test Alpha but also want to hold onto 0.8.4 in case things get hairy.
Boukman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Yes but...

Actually, if you care to look a little bit in this forum, you will find this thread: http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=, which basically says that you can run both at the same time, but you need to put your "old" NeoOffice/J in another folder, so that it won't be overwritten.

For what it's worth, I think that the new 1.1 Alpha 2 with patch 4 is already more stable and that you will like it much more that what you have now!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: can I run Neo/J 1.1 A2 and 0.8.4 on the same machine?

NextVet wrote:
Can both Neoffice/J 1.1 Alpha 2 and Neoffice/J 0.8.4 coexist on the same machine? If so, should I avoid running them at the same time? I want to test Alpha but also want to hold onto 0.8.4 in case things get hairy.

Actually, Patrick stated a few weeks back that 1.1 already seems to be more stable than 0.84. And if you want to retrieve everything in case things get hairy, I would fall back on an X11 official release, rather than alpha software Smile (even if it is pretty much as stable as many commercial products).

Good luck,
Oscar
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject:

And to answer the next obvious question...yes, you can run the X11 OpenOffice.org release side-by-side with NeoOffice/J. I do it nearly all the time for bug fixing & testing Smile From a Mac OS X integration point of view of fonts and print drivers, though, it's actually probably fair to say that Neo/J has less "issues" with Mac OS X then OOo X11 itself.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject:

And as the author of a "howto" in the thread referenced by the earlier post, I'll note that since 1.1 Alpha came out, I've used 0.8.4 all of about two times to compare/check for possible regressions (and I won't be keeping it around much longer). 1.1 is really that much more stable and so much "better" an app than 0.8.4.

Smokey
NextVet
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks!!!

My thanks to one and all for the advice and tips. At your suggestion, I have upgraded to 1.1 Alpha 2 + the menu patch, and it looks pretty snazzy!

Again, my many thanks!
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject:

to clarify, if you move neo/j into a folder it may not work right (right?) so just rename it and that should work.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
to clarify, if you move neo/j into a folder it may not work right (right?)

Right.

jakeOSX wrote:
so just rename it and that should work.

Not necessarily. The symlink (and Options: NeoOffice/J: Paths) problem is the same with renaming and moving, at least for 1.1. (I was able to rename 0.8.4 before installing 1.1 and have it still work, but that may have been merely a fluke....)

I haven't done extensive testing; there are ways to get it working for sure (most reliably moving/renaming a newly-installed NeoJ 0.x or 1.1 before it has ever been launched, or after having deleted the ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder), so for the "average" user my recommendation would be "do what Patrick says and use only 1.1" Smile

Smokey
NextVet
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: fancy but slow

My initial response after having used 1.1 Alpha 2 is that it seems a good bit slower/less responsive than 0.8.4. Any hope for a peppier version in the near future?

Regardless, i am so thankful to all who have made this port (and specifically the Java version) possible. NeoOffice/J has been a life saver!!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1