Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Open Office 3 vs NeoOffice conflict?
Open Office 3 vs NeoOffice conflict?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill345
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Open Office 3 vs NeoOffice conflict?

I am running the latest version of NeoOffice 2.2.5 on MAC OSX 10.5, but had previously installed Open Office 3.

When I tried to uninstall Open Office 3, I got a prompt stating that the application was running and could not be uninstalled. NeoOffice was closed at the time.

I've been unable to find any other guidance --in Open Office 3 documentation or online-- about how to uninstall Open Office 3. Is there any chance that there is a conflict between Open Office 3 and NeoOffice that results in the "running and cannot be uninstalled" prompt?

Thanks.

Bill345
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office 3 vs NeoOffice conflict?

Bill345 wrote:
I've been unable to find any other guidance --in Open Office 3 documentation or online-- about how to uninstall Open Office 3. Is there any chance that there is a conflict between Open Office 3 and NeoOffice that results in the "running and cannot be uninstalled" prompt?

There is no conflict as NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org do not share any files.

Most likely, OpenOffice.org is still running in the background with no windows or menus visible. I have seen this happen when OpenOffice.org crashes or is force quit. This is a serious bug in OpenOffice.org and force quitting is no easy task. But you can force quit it using the following steps:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilties/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, and press the Return key:

Code:
ps -auxww | grep soffice.bin

Do you see any lines in the output with "OpenOffice.org" in them? If yes, copy the following command into the Terminal window, type a space, type the number in the second column of that line, and press the Return key:

Code:
kill

Can you delete OpenOffice.org after doing these steps?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I forgot that there is a simpler approach:

1. Drag OpenOffice.org to the Trash
2. Reboot your machine
3. Empty the Trash

Rebooting will force quit OpenOffice.org if it is running in the background.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1