NeoOffice :: View topic - Ignore in Spellcheck
Ignore in Spellcheck

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VFrost
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Ignore in Spellcheck

From Neo/J Help:

The IgnoreAllList (All) includes all words that have been marked with Ignore during spellcheck[.] This list is administered only for the current spellcheck in the volatile RAM. Some user data will be entered in the list at program start. IgnoreAllList (All) cannot be deleted.

The IgnoreAllList entry cannot be selected and cannot be deleted. Only the words included as content can be deleted. This happens automatically each time that NeoOffice/J is closed.

What is the rationale for this? Shouldn't Ignoring be document specific, in other words, something actually saved in the document, so you don't have to look at those squiggly lines every time you open a document? That's how it works in ...well, you know the rest.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, this behavior (as well as the help text) comes from OpenOffice.org so I don't know the rationale behind this "feature". In essence, Neo/J grabs all of the behaviors of OpenOffice.org whether they are good, bad, or untuitive.

Patrick
VFrost
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject:

O.k. So the word "NeoJ/Office" in the text must represent some kind of copy and replace you did when you subsumed that program.

At least somebody could replace that comma I found with the period I put into a bracket, above. Or am I sounding again like somebody's high school English teacher?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:

Actually, it's not a copy and paste by an automatic thing that the OOo code does. The OOo code takes the product name (in our case NeoOffice/J) from a configuration file and automagically swaps it in when you display any of the help.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject:

VFrost wrote:
O.k. So the word "NeoJ/Office" in the text must represent some kind of copy and replace you did when you subsumed that program.

AFAIK, since Sun builds StarOffice from the same source, there's a config variable like $PRODUCTNAME or something that inserts the proper app name all over the "code" when compiling, including the help files.

VFrost wrote:
At least somebody could replace that comma I found with the period I put into a bracket, above. Or am I sounding again like somebody's high school English teacher?

I'm all for the high school English teacher (mine was really fabulous and would be appaled by some of the grammar I use in these and other fora!), but it's an OOo bug that needs to be filed in the OOo IssueZilla. Unless the same bad text is present in 2.0, the chances of it getting fixed seem poor Sad

On the other hand, Patrick and Jacob (jakeOSX) have been doing some talking about getting infrastructure in place to fix the OOo help (ctrl->cmd) for Neo/J, but that seems a ways off yet.

Smokey
VFrost
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject:

Yes. And in my very first posting here, I mentoned the eyebrow-raising (for an exclusive Mac user like me, I mean) Help instructions to left-click here or right-click there.

I understand the verbatim concept, of not tinkering with their actual code. But I hope that they see that this is a reasonable request, that you should be able to alter the Help text in detail. (Particularly when it doesn't meet the grammatical standards of even a high school music teacher!)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it's definitely a known problem. Not only are there portions of the help that have these types of bad substitutions that are done automatically but there are other things that should be changed as well (e.g. the "Support" pages should probably point to trinity support forums and oooforum and others, Register should probably go to Patrick's donation page, file Printing help pages should include references to the native print dialog followed by settings, etc.).

I know I've personally put off things like this since I've been trying to focus on the technical issues first. I figure once the app isn't crashing any longer we can make this part of the "cleanup" for final release. I know Jake's been working on and off at converting things so they'll work with Apple Help instead of the custom help viewer embedded in the app (yup, those wacky dudes at StarDivision reinvented everything). Right now it isn't crashing though, so I've kind of just ignored the content.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1