Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers
Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers

Hi,
I always thought I have the mastery over numbering and formatting the numbering but obviously I don't, or better: I don't anymore since the last NeoOffice update.
All I want to do is a numbering of a few lines for a CD cover. The default options for numbering are a mystery to me, so I change them everytime to:
- numbering is followed by a blank; left-bounded; 0,10 cm; 0,10 cm
The first line I get as wanted, but all following lines start somewhere in the middle of the line.
When I try to correct that it even gets worse and I have to start all over again, till I'm fed up and type in the number manually.
Here is what I get for 3 lines.
1.Sie starb, wie sie gelebt hat: Gottesfürchtig... 9:42
................................................2.Eine Ansichtskarte kriegst, CUT OFF
................................................3.Verstört stieg der Kraus in CUT OFF
(The leading points in lines 2 + 3 are not in my document. I had to insert them so the indentation in this text here looks approx. like my document)
Normally I could correct that by putting the cursor behind the last line (after the 42 in the example above) and inserting a new paragraph break. But I don't even get the cursor there. The cursor jumps far right of the 42 and inserting a break results in
1.Sie starb, wie sie gelebt hat: Gottesfürchtig...
9:42
................................................2.Eine Ansichtskarte kriegst, CUTOFF
................................................3.Verstört stieg der Kraus in CUT OFF

Next I want to change that back: I put the cursor after the three points and delete one digit (hoping to get the "9:42" into the first line again) but NeoOffice deletes one letter of the last word: "Gotesfürchtig". It seems to be: the cursor is not where I think it is and where I see it. Or NeoOffice assumes the cursor to be more to the left than it is.

Something works completely wrong. But what is the cause?

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject:

It is really hard to diagnose the cause of the problem from this description. Please can you upload a sample document which demonstrates the problem.
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject:

Hi,
mysteriously is also:
when I select the numbered text, the first line moves into the middle without doing anything.
And now NeoOffice even crashed.
Here is a text example attached.
All I did was
1) Copy the tracks information from iTunes into the CD form
2) Select the tracks from CD1 and numbering it.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
And now NeoOffice even crashed.

IIRC, you have been using NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7. Are you still using that version or have you installed NeoOffice 3.0.1? If you are using NeoOffice 3.0.1, can you attach a crash log using the steps in "Option B" in this NeoWiki article.

If you have not installed NeoOffice 3.0.1, then can you install it from the NeoOffice Early Access Program download page? NeoOffice 3.0.1 has several fixes for crashing bugs that have been found in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code since NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 7 was released.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers

gavagai wrote:
The first line I get as wanted, but all following lines start somewhere in the middle of the line.
When I try to correct that it even gets worse and I have to start all over again, till I'm fed up and type in the number manually.

Numbering is definitely not one of the best features in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. I have always found numbering to be very fragile in all versions of OpenOffice.org so what you are seeing is not surprising. Also, each version of OpenOffice.org seems to have different steps that trigger a numbered section to fall apart. This is especially true of NeoOffice 3.0.x's underlying OpenOffice 3.0.1 code.

When the OpenOffice.org code messes up numbering, fixing it manually will rarely work and in most cases, like you found, will only make it worse. The best way that I have found to fix a numbered section is to reset the entire section's numbering settings using the following steps:

1. Highlight all lines in the section and then press the "Numbering On/Off" toolbar button in the main toolbar section.

2. While all lines in the section are still highlighted, press the "Numbering On/Off" toolbar button in the main toolbar section a second time to turn numbering back on.

3. While all lines in the section are still highlighted, select the Format :: Bullets and Numbering menu and in the dialog that appears, set your custom indent and other settings.

Does your numbered section look correct after using these steps?

gavagai wrote:
Next I want to change that back: I put the cursor after the three points and delete one digit (hoping to get the "9:42" into the first line again) but NeoOffice deletes one letter of the last word: "Gotesfürchtig". It seems to be: the cursor is not where I think it is and where I see it. Or NeoOffice assumes the cursor to be more to the left than it is.

I could reproduce this when I first opened your document in both OpenOffice 3.0.1 (the version NeoOffice 3.0.x is based on) and OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 (their latest version) so this is definitely an OpenOffice.org bug.

Fortunately, this OpenOffice.org bug only appears to occur after your numbered section has fallen apart. After resetting the numbering using my steps listed above, I could not reproduce this OpenOffice.org bug.

Does this OpenOffice.org bug stop occurring for you after you reset the numbering?

Lastly, I would still like to look at a crash log for the crash that you found. So, if you were running NeoOffice 3.0.1 at the time of the crash, could you attach a crash log using the steps in my previous post?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject:

OK Patrick has got there quicker than me, but here is the step by step process I applied to your document and I have attached the result. I don't know how you got it to where you did, but this seems to have cured it.

Edited to add it is better not to use these steps, but use the ones in Patrick's previous post
(Using NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 0)

• Place cursor on last line of text
  • Click paintbrush icon to copy that format
  • Select all the text to apply the format
  • Click Numbering icon to apply numbering to all text.
  • Click Numbering icon again to remove numbering
  • Select list of tracks under CD1 and click numbering icon to number them
  • Select list of tracks under CD2 and click numbering icon to number them
    Save

I would choose to use .odt which is the most robust format, but have saved the file in .sxw[/b]

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Last edited by James3359 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

If you have not installed NeoOffice 3.0.1, then can you install it from the ...
Hi Patrick,
I will install it within the next hours.

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers

pluby wrote:

Numbering is definitely not one of the best features in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code.
Maybe not the best but I always found it very comfortably.
pluby wrote:

When the OpenOffice.org code messes up numbering, fixing it manually will rarely work and in most cases, like you found, will only make it worse.
With fixing it manually I meant
either adjusting the numbering via the "Position" tab (and that works usually very well)
or turning numbering off and writing the numbers all by myself.
pluby wrote:

Does your numbered section look correct after using these steps?

I will try it after installing the new version.
Could it be to be the source of my problems that I do the numbering of the text within an quadrangled box (CD cover)? Normally, I don't experience these problems.

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:

I would choose to use .odt which is the most robust format, but have saved the file in .sxw
OK, I did that (it was saved in .sxw because I use to pick some fitting old CD cover and overwrite it).
And I installed the new version.
And I proceeded in the proposed way, but the result is about the same.
First after numbering the first line is OK and only the follow-ups have that strand indentation. Then, after saving the document, even the first line gets an indendation and the follow-up lines are indented even farer to the right.
I have attached the resulting file.

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:

Was the document I attached in my previous post OK?

In the document you have now attached I followed again exactly, step by step, the process I described previously
James3359 wrote:

• Place cursor on last line of text
  • Click paintbrush icon to copy that format
  • Select all the text to apply the format
  • Click Numbering icon to apply numbering to all text.
  • Click Numbering icon again to remove numbering
  • Select list of tracks under CD1 and click numbering icon to number them
  • Select list of tracks under CD2 and click numbering icon to number them
  • Save

I attach the result. Does this look all right to you? Did you try the steps I suggested?
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I overlooked it. But yes, it's fine and almost as I want it. (The same with the second attached file of yours)
James3359 wrote:

In the document you have now attached I followed again exactly, step by step, the process I described previously[list]
[*]Place cursor on last line of text

Is that the very last line, the one with 6:43 at the end?
James3359 wrote:
[*]Click paintbrush icon to copy that format
[*]Select all the text to apply the format

I guess I'm not too acquainted with that: the text is selected (all black background) but the format of that last line is not applied. I.e. the text remains in the same format. And then NeoOffice crashed again.
I guess I will first reread the advice Patrick gave me concerning the crash.

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,
attached is the crash report of the latest NeoOffice crash 3.0.1 some minutes ago east of Munich in the direction to Tschernobyl Wink

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
James3359 wrote:
I overlooked it. But yes, it's fine and almost as I want it. (The same with the second attached file of yours)
James3359 wrote:

In the document you have now attached I followed again exactly, step by step, the process I described previously[list]
[*]Place cursor on last line of text

Is that the very last line, the one with 6:43 at the end?

Yes
gavagai wrote:
James3359 wrote:
[*]Click paintbrush icon to copy that format
[*]Select all the text to apply the format

I guess I'm not too acquainted with that: the text is selected (all black background) but the format of that last line is not applied.

No change is visible until you apply the numbering. You need to follow all the steps through.

I suspect there is something a bit flaky for NeoOffice about the original document you are using, but the process above sorts it out. It still shouldn't crash though.

James

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
You need to follow all the steps through.
Now it worked.
But starting with the document you had attached makes no sense to me: it
is numbered correctly from the start. Then I remove the numbering and then I apply it again. The result is I end up with the same looking document as I've started with.
James3359 wrote:
I suspect there is something a bit flaky for NeoOffice about the original document you are using, but the process above sorts it out. It still shouldn't crash though.
Yes that may be the case 'cause I used the same document all over again because it already has the correct frame for the CD cover (I only attached the crucial part for the numbering).

Thanks, I numbered it manually in the meantime and printed the CD cover.
(In German – where "always" is "immer" – we call this method after IBM: immer besser manuell = always better manually).
For the next CD cover I will create a new document from scratch.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
Hi Patrick,
attached is the crash report of the latest NeoOffice crash 3.0.1 some minutes ago east of Munich in the direction to Tschernobyl Wink

Thank you for the crash log. The crash is occurring in OpenOffice.org's spell checking code. I cannot get NeoOffice to crash but, IIRC, you are using a German dictionary and hyphenation extension that you downloaded from OpenOffice.org's website. Is that correct?

If so, can you tell me which extensions you downloaded and installed? Also, if you can remember which words you were typing just before the crash, that might help us reproduce the crash.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3