Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash on dragging title bar icon to launch bar
Crash on dragging title bar icon to launch bar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Crash on dragging title bar icon to launch bar

I see you have kicked both versions out the door, congratulations.

I loaded up 3.1.2 patch 5 and put it aside in the Utilities folder. Does it need to be on a different disk?

Then I installed NeoOffice-3.2_Beta-Intel
and did a minimum of operations before having a crash as state in dragging the title bar to the icon/launch bar. Not sure this is suppose to work, but.

I did have trouble not having it open as read-only. I was able to save it under a new name--could not overwrite 3.1.2 version.

A lot of icons are not in the tool bar--I'll have to find what to reenable beyond the copy format, which was there. Memory does not serve well here.

I hope I got what you might be needed.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Crash on dragging title bar icon to launch bar

kklare wrote:
I loaded up 3.1.2 patch 5 and put it aside in the Utilities folder. Does it need to be on a different disk?

Move it to your Utilties folder or even your Home folder should be fine.

kklare wrote:
Then I installed NeoOffice-3.2_Beta-Intel
and did a minimum of operations before having a crash as state in dragging the title bar to the icon/launch bar. Not sure this is suppose to work, but.

The crash is definitely occurring in the drag and drop code so can you reproduce this crashing when dragging a specific floating window into the icon area? If so, which floating window is this most easily reproducible for you?

kklare wrote:
I did have trouble not having it open as read-only. I was able to save it under a new name--could not overwrite 3.1.2 version.

Check the permissions of the file by right-clicking or Control-clicking on the file in the Finder. In the popup menu that appears, select the Get Info menu. In the window that appears, go to the bottom of that window and verify that you have "Read & Write" permissions. Also, check the the "Locked" checkbox in the top half of the window is unchecked.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject:

Re: where to put 3.1.2 p5, I really didn't think about saving prefs or any thing else.

Re: floating windows, I'm don't know which one I should be trying. Of course, I should try the Find/Replace as I use that a lot but have not yet.

Re: permissions, the file was locked. Wrong, the file was not locked in check box, the Info was padlocked in lower right. I was using just before in 3.1.2p5 with no problem. I assumed some change was incompatible. So that was weird.

Find box did come up. Went to test dragging the icon in the title bar--not there. Where is it? Am I losing my mind or am I thinking only of finder?
No, opened older version and icon is in title bar but dragging it crashed NO.
Recovered but both missing icon.

Closed Beta, started p5 and icon is there and drag-able. It immediately gets a + in green dot but does get confused if I drag it to dock (correction for launch/icon) where it is also--the plus does not go away and cannot put it in bar, reasonable.

((It still takes too long in adapt row height but didn't expect any change.
Do I need to pick a different font size or cell height to not be annoyed?))

I need to sleep, I guess. I run an odd schedule.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
Re: where to put 3.1.2 p5, I really didn't think about saving prefs or any thing else.

Both NeoOffice 3.1.2 and 3.2 Beta use the same user preference files since both versions are based on the same OpenOffice.org version.

kklare wrote:
Find box did come up. Went to test dragging the icon in the title bar--not there. Where is it? Am I losing my mind or am I thinking only of finder?
No, opened older version and icon is in title bar but dragging it crashed NO.
Recovered but both missing icon.[/url]

I can now reproduce this crashing bug in both NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 5 and NeoOffice 3.2 Beta using the following steps:

1. Open an existing Calc document (an empty one will not have an icon in the titlebar)

2. Drag the document icon in the Calc document's titlebar into the Calc document's grid. NeoOffice will crash here or in the next step.

3. Press Command-F to open the Find dialog and NeoOffice will hang.

4. If you do the above steps in earlier versions of NeoOffice, the document that is currently open will be opened in read-only mode.

I have created bug 3652 to track this bug. I will investigate this bug and when I have a fix, I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I was going to test the Find box with drags out like I often use--more wide awake. After a snooze, first to verify which I was working with, I dropped the About box. It was empty and could not be closed with the red button. Found later cmd+W worked. Bringing up a palette for font or background color allowed the About box to go away but now it was stuck. Something is blocking. Windows seem reluctant to fully form. It eventually crashed with a lot of console output. I'll clear the console, maybe it's too long.

Wish I had saved 3.1.2p4t10 instead of p5. Will have to reconstruct it.
-Ken

Looks like a reboot needed. -K
Before I got to that I was able reopen the document that had crash without a recovery. -K messages crossed, will start anew.

Last edited by kklare on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I was going to test the Find box with drags out like I often use--more wide awake. After a snooze, first to verify which I was working with, I dropped the About box. It was empty and could not be closed with the red button. Found later cmd+W worked. Bringing up a palette for font or background color allowed the About box to go away but now it was stuck. Something is blocking. Windows seem reluctant to fully form. It eventually crashed with a lot of console output. I'll clear the console, maybe it's too long.

Wish I had saved 3.1.2p4t10 instead of p5. Will have to reconstruct it.
-Ken

Looks like a reboot needed. -K

Does all of this hanging behavior occur after you drag the titlebar icon? If so, for now do not drag the titlebar icon as it seems that causes NeoOffice to go into an irrecoverable state.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the crashing and hanging when dragging bugs that you found. There were actually 2 bugs:

- The crashing bug only occurs in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta and that bug is caused by our switch of some core code to replace some functions that Apple has deprecated and I apparently did not reimplement our code perfectly.

- The hanging after some dragging started occurring in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 3 with the introduction of our complete reimplementation of NeoOffice's drag and drop code to remove all functions that Apple has deprecated. The bug is caused by NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code switching between different threads while a drag is occurring. I had fixed a similar bug long ago in our old drag and drop code but with the new code, that bug has returned and I had to implement a new approach to limit all processing to only the main thread while a drag is occurring. Patch 4 and all its test patches had this bug and probably removing other drag and drop bugs just made this bug more likely to occur.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the crashing and the hanging bugs are fixed for you in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta? If so, I will backport the hanging bug fix to NeoOffice 3.1.2 and post a NeoOffice 3.1.2 test patch this weekend:

http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2_Beta-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I've been using 3.2 with no other problems without trying to drag the title icon, which I normally don't do anyway. I understand fix a problem and there it is again. But is best to hit a many of these odd case as early as possible even if unlikely. I built 3.1.2p4t10 again but probably will not go back it, nor any p4 as my G5 machine died nearly 2 year ago.

My only PPC is a Pismo--the last and only G3 that runs 10.4.11--well I do have a fruit colored G3 and an older 7200 with CRT that would be a pain to think of using. Thanks as usual,
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I've been using 3.2 with no other problems without trying to drag the title icon, which I normally don't do anyway. I understand fix a problem and there it is again. But is best to hit a many of these odd case as early as possible even if unlikely. I built 3.1.2p4t10 again but probably will not go back it, nor any p4 as my G5 machine died nearly 2 year ago.

I agree that this is a rare bug but I also agree that when reported, any crashing or hanging but should be fixed as soon as possible. My theory is that if one person reports such bugs, there are probably at least 100 other users experiencing the same bug.

Just confirm: is the crashing bug is now fixed in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta for you? If so, are you seeing the hanging bug? If test patch only fixed the crashing bug but not the hanging bug, then the same hanging bug that you saw in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 5 should start appearing in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta.

Even if you are not using a PowerPC machine anymore, we will continue to support NeoOffice 3.1.2 on both Intel and PowerPC for at the least the next year or so I definitely want to fix these bugs in both versions of the NeoOffice.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
- The hanging after some dragging started occurring in NeoOffice 3.1.2 Patch 3 with the introduction of our complete reimplementation of NeoOffice's drag and drop code to remove all functions that Apple has deprecated. The bug is caused by NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code switching between different threads while a drag is occurring. I had fixed a similar bug long ago in our old drag and drop code but with the new code, that bug has returned and I had to implement a new approach to limit all processing to only the main thread while a drag is occurring. Patch 4 and all its test patches had this bug and probably removing other drag and drop bugs just made this bug more likely to occur.

I just hit what I presume to be this problem (dragging from the Media Browser fails in 3.2 Beta and 3.1.2 Patch-5, with assorted exceptions logged to the Console), and I can confirm that the 3.2 Beta Patch-0-Test-1 patch fixes dragging and makes the Console logging go away Smile

This reminds me of the old days, when by the time you realized you'd found a bug, Patrick had already fixed it in a test patch Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I just hit what I presume to be this problem (dragging from the Media Browser fails in 3.2 Beta and 3.1.2 Patch-5, with assorted exceptions logged to the Console), and I can confirm that the 3.2 Beta Patch-0-Test-1 patch fixes dragging and makes the Console logging go away Smile

Thanks for reporting this. I will use this as part of my tests when backporting the NeoOffice 3.2 Beta fixes to NeoOffice 3.1.2.

sardisson wrote:
This reminds me of the old days, when by the time you realized you'd found a bug, Patrick had already fixed it in a test patch Smile

Reimplementing copy, paste, drag, drop, and text layout and rendering really feels like the old days for me. It appreciate everyone's patience so far after seeing new bugs appear in areas that worked so well for several years. Hopefully drag and drop is now getting close to the level of stability that it had in our old code.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject:

Hooray for Patrick - who would've ever thought Apple could become so self-deprecating? Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject:

I have one more case where the hanging bug can occur. If you have a native modal dialog visible (such as the Open dialog or the Print dialog), dragging data from the modal dialog into a NeoOffice dialog can in some cases cause the OpenOffice.org to display a modal dialog. This causes a deadlock as the two modal dialogs both try to obtain control of the application.

I have fixed this hanging bug in the following test patch. I have also backported all of the fixes in the NeoOffice 3.2 Beta patches into the following NeoOffice 3.1.2 test patches.

Can you install one of following test patch and tell us if the crashing and the hanging bugs are still fixed for you?:

NeoOffice 3.2 Beta

http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2_Beta-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.1.2

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-5-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.2-Patch-5-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I can confirm that Patch-0-Test-2 for 3.2 Beta and Patch-5-Test-1 for 3.1.2 both (still) fix the dragging-from-Media Browser/exceptions in Console that I saw earlier. 10.5.8 Intel. I didn't test anything else, just that part.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum