· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - WordPerfect 3.5e support feedback
WordPerfect 3.5e support feedback

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: WordPerfect 3.5e support feedback

As some of you may know, support for basic import of WordPerfect-Mac 3.5e documents (file type WPD4) was enabled in Neo/J 1.1 Beta on an "experimental" basis--this import is not turned on in the stand-alone builds of the utilities (libwpd) Neo/J uses.

Before this support gets turned on at large, the libwpd team wanted feedback from Neo/J users as to the "stability" of the 3.5e/WPD4 support: does it ever crash Neo/J when trying to import a 3.5e file, or import a 3.5e file as a blank document, for instance.

I've created this thread to provide a place for users to provide feedback on the 3.5e support (I don't have a very large WPD4 document collection).

Thanks!
Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leo
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Mac OS 9.2 -WP3.5e - I can import directly, but....

Razz

...every 5th import seems to past the import as a text block halfway into the left side marging of the file, as if it didn't "find" the margin guide when it found the "paste into" area.

[how do I post screen shots to this group?]

But I am so happy. This means I can use Office, and it's file format as a NON Microsoft cross-plateform DTP workhorse! Yeah! Yeah!Yeah! I have HUNDRES of wordperfect for the mac files...I write and its been where I live for 15 years.

http://www.efn.org/~l_rivers/
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject:

i've not tried 3.5e files, but i have the program somewhere i think...

i have tried pc wp files from 6.0 to 2000 and they all convert fine. granted they aren't super complicated, but they open, and that's the important part =D
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac OS 9.2 -WP3.5e - I can import directly, but....

Leo wrote:
...every 5th import seems to past the import as a text block halfway into the left side marging of the file, as if it didn't "find" the margin guide when it found the "paste into" area.

[how do I post screen shots to this group?]

Hmm, I've never seen that before, at least as far as I can tell without seeing it.

The code for inserting images into posts is
Code:
[img]http://full.url.to/image.jpg[/img]

More info in the BBCode Options item on the "Post a reply" page.

jakeOSX wrote:
i've not tried 3.5e files, but i have the program somewhere i think...

i have tried pc wp files from 6.0 to 2000 and they all convert fine. granted they aren't super complicated, but they open, and that's the important part =D

The PC 6.x-12.x support is really mature (although it still has a few issues here and there with really complex tables and such, as Oscar will tell you Smile), the PC 5.x and Mac 3.0-3.5.4 support is basic and still to be fully developed (at least the latter), and the 3.5e support really is experimental...we really want to know if there are any wierd things happening with 3.5e/WPD4 documents before it gets turned on for everyone.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Of note is that you can still download WordPerfect 3.5e and run it in classic:

http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/pub/Macintosh/Applications/Corel/Corel_WP_35e.sea.bin

Before Corel killed it they actually offered it as a free download and it's still floating around in a few places Smile

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Of note is that you can still download WordPerfect 3.5e and run it in classic:

Yes, but you *really* have to love that program to care enough.

officewallah
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I've just tested it on a rather old WP 3.5e document. Not an extremely complex one, but with some formatting. Import was completely successful.

Now if only we could import Lotus files Wink
fridrich
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject:

officewallah wrote:
Now if only we could import Lotus files Wink

There is a group trying to make it happen (I mean lotus wordpro files import). If you want to know more, but "michael_" at #OpenOffice.org irc.freenode.net.

Cheers

Fridrich
cfhesq

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: WordPerfect 3.5e support feedback

I've had problems opening a couple of WPD docs*, but by and large not a problem AND I'M GRATEFUL THIS FEATURE IS HERE! My offiice uses WPD6, but I use OOO generally, but needed a program to open the ones I bring home to work on; to date that was AbiWord, but the fact that I can open Word and WPD in the same app is cause for celebration. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

* Get a "not enough memory" warning, then the program quits. Running an iBook G3, 600MHz, 640MB
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: WordPerfect 3.5e support feedback

cfhesq wrote:
I've had problems opening a couple of WPD docs*, but by and large not a problem AND I'M GRATEFUL THIS FEATURE IS HERE! [...]

* Get a "not enough memory" warning, then the program quits. Running an iBook G3, 600MHz, 640MB

Does this happen on all WP documents or only certain ones? Are you running other apps at the same time as Neo/J (i.e. a situation where much of your memory is potentially in use)?

Regardless, there is some sort of issue occurring here and we'd like to try to fix it. Can you file a bug in the Neo BugZilla and attach a sample document that causes the quit?

Thanks!
Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: WordPerfect 3.5e support feedback

cfhesq wrote:

Have you installed the latest Neo/J patch for http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php? The latest patch contains fixes for several large memory leaks that would cause Neo/J to slowly eat memory until you quit Neo/J.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1