Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - arial broken after ms office install
arial broken after ms office install

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: arial broken after ms office install

I installed MS Office 2011. Then I opened a .odt in NeoOffice 3.2 beta (patch 1).
Arial font is now "broken". see screenshot.
I attach the document as well, which shows the text in Arial Narrow (which looks normal).

I attach a third screen shot, from the real document which I need to print tonight. This is weird because all the fonts in the screen shot are Arial, just with different paragraph formatting. The text that renders correctly is bullet.

Until I installed MS Office, I never saw this problem.
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject:

It's Arial Bold which is broken.
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Font Book showed me I had duplicate fonts after the MS Office installation. I selected all fonts, 'resolved duplicates' and quit Neo Office (it crashed, I copied and attached the log).
That will teach me for installing MS Office Smile

Anyway, restarting NeoOffice after FontBook's duplicate resolution worked fine.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject:

What is weird is that the Microsoft 2011 Arial font only shows a single generic "A with box" glyph. That glyph looks very, very similar to Apple's "last resort" font. This makes me think the Mac OS X text layout functions cannot handle that new Microsoft font and so NeoOffice is selecting the first font that advertises that it can render the text.

This makes me think that this "font fallback" process is not working in the new text layout code that we put into NeoOffice 3.2 Beta (we replaced Apple's older "ATSUI" functions with their newer "CoreText" functions).

Let me review our new font fallback code and see if I can find any breakage in that code when I add and remove fonts. I will post back later today (California time) with an update.

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject:

In Font Book, via Get Info, fonts have versions.
The one that is disabled by the duplicate resolution is Arial Black v 5.00.1x
The enabled version is Arial Black v 2.35
I found some forum discussions of a problem with Apple's Pages that gave me the hint about duplicate fonts. This discussion said the 2.35 version is Microsoft's; the newer version is Apple's and the newer version has better kerning.

I just swapped them around, so that the new version is enabled and the older version disabled, restarted NeoOffice, and the rendering still works.

Then I re-enabled both fonts. I got the Font Book warning about duplicates, yet when I quit and restarted Neo Office, it still works (no font rendering problem). Something funny with font caching perhaps.
I don't like the font book warning, so I'll keep the new font enabled and the old font disabled, and see what happens.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:
IThen I re-enabled both fonts. I got the Font Book warning about duplicates, yet when I quit and restarted Neo Office, it still works (no font rendering problem). Something funny with font caching perhaps.

I can confirm that there is a caching problem. I have been able to reproduce the crash by installing and removing an unrelated font and, so far, the problem appears to be that our code is holding handles to the deleted font.

I suspect that the problem that causes the crashing also causes the Arial problem. I am working on a fix for the crashing bug and as soon as I have a fix (hopefully in the next 24 hours), I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the crashing bug and the unexpected font caching

Can you install the following test patch and try enabling and then disabling the duplicate Arial font while you have a NeoOffice document that uses Arial open? Be sure to scroll down a page and then back up to force NeoOffice to render with the latest font list after enabling or disabling a font.

Are both the crashing and "A box" glyph problem fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2_Beta-Patch-2-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
timrichardson
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,
with that patch applied, I can not reproduce either the crash or the font-rendering problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject:

timrichardson wrote:
Hi Patrick,
with that patch applied, I can not reproduce either the crash or the font-rendering problem.

That is excellent news. I have to fix some Mac OS X 10.7 issues this weekend and once I fix those, I will release my fix in NeoOffice 3.2 Beta Patch 3 sometime next week.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for bug 3653 in NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 3. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.2 Beta patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum