Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Set cell format crashes/hangs NeoOffice 3.2 patch1
Set cell format crashes/hangs NeoOffice 3.2 patch1

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Set cell format crashes/hangs NeoOffice 3.2 patch1

Open attached test.ods
Select cells B2 - B12
Right click on selection and choose format cells

NeoOffice either hangs (with a whirly wheel) or crashes. I can't determine a pattern.

The same procedure works without a hitch when repeated with OpenOffice 3.2.1 (OSX)

OSX 10.6.7
MacBook Air (13", 4GB memory, 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject:

I cannot reproduce the crashing or hanging that you see. I also don't have any of the errors that you have in the Console application.

Is it possible that you do not have NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 1 installed? Can you select NeoOffice's Help :: About NeoOffice menu and verify that it says the following?:

Code:
NeoOffice 3.2 Patch 1

If it says "Patch 0", can you install Patch 1 from the NeoOffice patch download page and tell us if the crashing stops?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject:

I forgot to mention that if you have Patch 1 installed and the crashing still occurs, can you obtain a crash log using the steps in this NeoWiki article. Once we can see the crash log, then we can start trying to locate the cause of the crashing.

Once you obtain a crash log, you can attach it to your post using the step in this forum topic.

Patrick
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Both "about" and the crash log state that the NeoOffice version is 3.2 patch 1. Since I installed patch one a few days ago I would assume that they are not mistaken.

The complete log file is attached.
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Log files.

The log2 file attached to the previous (most recent prior to this) post is from a crash. The log.txt attached to the original post is from a hang, copied from the console.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log. Your crash log indicates that your machine has no available memory. Specifically, your other log's error messages indicate that the Mac OS X window server process has used up all of the available shared memory that it needs to draw windows, images, and other graphical objects.

It is very rare for the Mac OS X window server to run out of memory unless some application is created a massive number of hidden windows or images and not releasing them.

Clearly some application is using up all of your machine's window server memory. The question is which application. Can you try rebooting your machine and closing all applications so that only NeoOffice is running. Does the crashing or hanging still occur? If not, then the next step is to find the application that is consuming all of the window server's shared memory.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject:

One more question: are you using any games on your machine? I ask this because when I searched Google for the "_CGSBindWindowBacking: cannot map backing data shmem" message in your first log, I found that this error (as well as crashing) occurs for a lot of game applications.

Since many games try to access your graphics card directly to obtain better performance, one possible cause of the lack of window server shared memory that you are seeing is that one or more game applications are grabbing window server resources and never releasing those resources after use (in other words, they are leaking memory).

Patrick
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject:

OK. The attached logs were born of two sequential crashes following a reboot, when nothing else was running. NeoOffice was the first program started.

The start method was: right-click on file, choose "open with."
I used the file uploaded above.

Once the first crash occurred I copied the log into text editor and saved the file. After that I closed text editor before trying again.

As for games, I've not installed or run any on this machine. The only ones I am aware of are those bundled with the Windows XP I have on a virtual machine (Parallels v6.) However, as mentioned, nothing other than NeoOffice was running during this test.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Your latest crash logs confirm my theory that your machine is running out of shared memory. NeoOffice uses Apple's Java to create and draw into windows and the crash is occurring when Apple's Java requests some shared memory and Mac OS X returns no shared memory.

I would like to see how much shared memory your machine has been set to allow for all applications. Can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following commands into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and copy the output into your reply?:

Code:
sysctl -a | grep shm ; sysctl -a | grep mem ; ps -ef ; df -k

Patrick
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject:

Attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Thank you the Terminal output. I noticed from your output that you are running the Apple Qmaster application. From what I have read, Apple Qmaster can consume massive amounts of memory when compressing or decompressing video.

Can you launch the /Applications/Utilties/Terminal application, paste the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and copy the output into your reply:

Code:
top -s 30 -o rsize

Hopefully, that will help us determine which application is using up all of your machine's shared memory.

Patrick
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Done.
rsize2 and crash log5 are right after a fresh restart.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject:

zircon wrote:
Done.
rsize2 and crash log5 are right after a fresh restart.

The "rsize" files that you attached do not have any output. Can you run the following Terminal command instead? Hopefully this time the command will generate some output:

Code:
top -o rsize

After copying the output from the above command, can you run the following commands? Be sure to stop the above command by pressing the Command-C keys before running the following command:

Code:
ipcs -map
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/java -version
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/bin/java -version

Patrick
zircon
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject:

When you say the two rsize texts have no output, do you perhaps mean they have no useful output? I ask because I just downloaded one of them and it did contain the same memory information as was shown on the terminal when I ran the command.

In any case I've attached rsize3.txt and ipcs.txt.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject:

I now see why I thought the previous "rsize" files were empty. Your output has 20 or more blank lines before the output so I could saw the first line.

Anyway, your latest "rsize" file shows that you are running several memory intensive applications. Specifically, AppTrap is holding 11 GB of virtual memory. That is a huge amount of memory for one application to reserve for itself. Also, all of your applications have virtual memory usage of 10 times what I see on my machine. For example, on my machine the WindowServer application on uses 31 MB of virtual memory while on your machine it uses 2766 MB or nearly 100 times the virtual memory.

Is there any way to disable the AppTrap application? I suspect that it is a system hack and since system hacks inject their code into all running applications, AppTrap may be causing massive virtual memory usage in all applications causing Mac OS X to run out of shared memory.

If you can disable AppTrap, can you then reboot and run the "top -o rsize" command again? Also, can you launch NeoOffice and leave it running when you run this command again?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3