Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to include automatically updating sum in Writer?
How to include automatically updating sum in Writer?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: How to include automatically updating sum in Writer?

Calling all NO Writer whizzes: Is it possible to insert a formula in Writer that will express an automatically updating sum? I'd like to create a document that automatically includes a countdown of days to an event; or for that matter, the number of days since … . This ought in principle to be feasible … if not possible! Any ideas?

Rolling Eyes

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject:

While it may be possible to do this in Writer, Writer has very limited support for functions so I would recommend using an embedded spreadsheet with one cell.

In my attached Writer document, there is a simple spreadsheet that I embedded by selecting the Insert :: Object :: OLE Object menu and, in the dialog that appears, selecting the spreadsheet "Create new" and "NeoOffice 3.2 Spreadsheet" options.

In the embedded spreadsheet, I used the Calc DAYS() formula. In my sample document, the number of days until 31 December 2011 is set. To show the number of days since a date in the past, change the DAYS() formula so that the TODAY() function is its first argument instead of the seconds argument.

Does the approach in my attached document work for you?

Patrick
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Aah!! Up there for brains! Many thanks Very Happy
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Don't know if you're still watching this Patrick, but after extended trialling of the file you provided I've concluded that it is only sort of working.

When I included the file in a Writer document, it worked on that occasion, but did not subsequently update the count after the document was closed and later re-opened. Interestingly however, if I double-click on the embedded cell - causing it to activate (i.e. launching the Calc toolbar), it then up dates.

So, while it IS a functional, 'though rather messy work-a-round, it points to yet another addition to the N O wish-list. Aah, if only I should come in to a fortune!!

Many, many thanks for all that you do!!
Very Happy

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject:

GridLox wrote:
When I included the file in a Writer document, it worked on that occasion, but did not subsequently update the count after the document was closed and later re-opened. Interestingly however, if I double-click on the embedded cell - causing it to activate (i.e. launching the Calc toolbar), it then up dates.

I admit that I forgot about that behavior. What specifically happens is that when you open a Writer document with embedded objects, Writer only reads the "snapshot image" of the embedded spreadsheet so that your document opens quickly. The snapshot image gets created the last time that you opened the embedded spreadsheet.

As you found, double-clicking on the embedded spreadsheet run it in Calc so that all formulas are updated. Unfortunately, OpenOffice.org has no simple way to force opening of embedded spreadsheets or other objects so if double-click on the embedded spreadsheet is not adequate for you, I only have one other option: make your primary document a Calc spreadsheet like the attached sample .ods file.

Please note, however, that while you can embed a Writer document in a Calc spreadsheet, you will have to have your date formula in a spreadsheet cell. Essentially, that means you cannot easily put the date in the middle of a paragraph.

Sorry that I don't have any better options for you. But hopefully using a Calc spreadsheet as your primary document might be useful in some way for you.

Patrick
GridLox
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject:

Hey, no worries! Now that I know what's going on, it'll do. Your prompt and effective responses are very much appreciated, as is NO - which for all its foibles still offers a scope and richness-of-functionality unmatched by any other similar program.

Very Happy

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1