Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems with NeoOffice/J
Problems with NeoOffice/J

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slownick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Problems with NeoOffice/J

Just installed it and now I got some strange things. I cannot open a file via the "open" menue, the apple-meneu changes so that it only shows the name "NeoOffice/J" next to the blue applo-logo and not the other things like "file", "format", "extras" and so on, but no open-dialog. I can quit this mode by presseng ESC.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

First, have you installed the latest Neo/J patch from http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php?

As for your problem, this is normal. Since Neo/J is based on OOo (which is really a Windows application), each window has its own set of menus so when you open a dialog window, the menus disappear because dialog windows have no menus. As soon as you close the dialog and click on a document window, the document window's menus will reappear.

Note that most of Neo/J's floating windows (e.g. Paragraph styles) have no menus either so clicking on the floating windows will cause the menus to disappear.

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject:

Yeah thx Patrick, I have installes the latest patch. BTW I have 10.3.7 on a G4
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Also, I forget the behaviour on first install, but the default configuration may have the "Stylist" showing. I think it's titled "Paragraph Styles" by default. This is a small rectangular window that lists paragraph and character styles. While the Stylist is active (e.g. "top" window with a metal titlebar) the menubar will be empty since on other platforms the Stylist has no menus.

You need to make the main Writer window with the actual word processor toolbars and the like the top window for the Writer menus to appear.

FWIW the Stylist really isn't needed anyway. I hide it except when I'm first applying a style. After that, relevant styles that have already been used in the document will appear in the "Styles" popup menu in the toolbar next to the font popup.

This is due to fundamental mismatches between the underlying design of OOo. It expects that when a window is in front its menus will be displayed in the menubar. There's no provision for having one window in front but still displaying the menus from another window.

This affects the Stylist, the Navigator, dialogs (but that's kind of traditional sheetless Mac design anyway), and some of the other tear-off palettes and other popup windows.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1