Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Error in Embedded Calc Sheet Causes Writer Crash
Error in Embedded Calc Sheet Causes Writer Crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Error in Embedded Calc Sheet Causes Writer Crash

Whenever I create a Calc object which has the RATE function in a writer document I have crashes (multiple years and with many different documents, versions of NeoOffice). Perhaps you can figure it out and fix it.

I have attached an example. Open the writer document, then click and open the embedded calc sheet. Go the far right hand column (Compound change) and go down to the Rate formula in any of the cells below. change the number of periods from the present 30 to 29 (or any other number). Then click the check mark box above. Eight out of ten times when you try to then exit the calc document the spinning ball will appear and the document will crash before the changes are saved.

Thanks with any help on this.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I can definitely reproduce it. I will start investigating it and see if I can find the cause.

If I can find the cause and implement a few, I will post a test patch for you to try. If I haven't found the cause be the end of this week, I will post what I have found this weekend.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I have goods news. After running NeoOffice in a debugger ony a few times I was able to find the general area where the crash is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. Once I found that, I found that the crash you found is the same crash described in OpenOffice.org bug 109009.

The OpenOffice.org engineers fixed that bug in OpenOffice.org 3.2 and I was able to backport the OpenOffice.org fix into NeoOffice older OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code in the following test patch.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject:

Great. The test patch works. Thanks much.
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject:

Spoke too soon. It does work. However, now when I open up other older neoffice writer documents with embedded spreadsheets, if an item was underlined with a line of 0.50 in thickness it now no longer shows up on the screen- only showing up at 1 pt. thickness. For some reason this is not true with the example document I provided you, but it now is with all other prior docs. Attached is an example. When you open the document you will not see the lines under the headings at 0.5 points- only when you click on and open the document do you see the line. Prior to the patch they were visible. The only way to now see the line on the screen without opening the calc item is increase the line thickness to 1 pt.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
Spoke too soon. It does work. However, now when I open up other older neoffice writer documents with embedded spreadsheets, if an item was underlined with a line of 0.50 in thickness it now no longer shows up on the screen- only showing up at 1 pt. thickness. For some reason this is not true with the example document I provided you, but it now is with all other prior docs. Attached is an example. When you open the document you will not see the lines under the headings at 0.5 points- only when you click on and open the document do you see the line. Prior to the patch they were visible. The only way to now see the line on the screen without opening the calc item is increase the line thickness to 1 pt.

I will take a look at what you are seeing.

One thing I failed to note in my post is that the test patch also contains the latest native drawing code that we have added to remove Java from windows, menus, and printing before Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is released so if you see any other unusual drawing behavior when using the test patch, please let us know.

Although the new native drawing code is in the latest test patch, we definitely think that that code is too untested to put in the next patch so we plan on releasing NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5 later this month with only the Patch 4 code plus the fix for your crashing bug plus any other fixes generated from support requests.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject:

I have fixed the line drawing bug that you found in our new native drawing code. The bug was caused by replicating our approach for handling drawing shapes with a width or height of less than 1 pixel width in Java. The approach we used for Java apparently does not work in native drawing so the following test patch uses a new approach to ensure that this thin lines get drawn correctly.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-Test-9-Intel.dmg

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Works great! Now if you can just do a patch to have NeoOffice mow my yard I will be really happy.

Thanks for the fix, Patrick. As always this is a great product and you provide superb support.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
Works great! Now if you can just do a patch to have NeoOffice mow my yard I will be really happy.

I chuckled when I read your comment made me. I could see myself starting a spreadsheet macro and then my mower immediately drives itself right into the neighbor's fence. Smile

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject:

If no new crashing bugs are found, we plan on releasing NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5 with the fix for the OpenOffice.org crashing bug within the next couple of weeks.

Since the last test patch that I posted had some of our "de-Javafication" changes mixed in and those changes are too risky to put in Patch 5, I have posted the following test patch that contains only the code changes that will be included in Patch 5.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is still fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-4-pre-5-test-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for the OpenOffice.org crashing bug in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.2.1 patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1