Corrupted Embedded Objects

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
After running the patch I am noticing that some of the icons are slightly different (e.g., on the Borders menu item the lines are darker for the various borders). That is not a problem but I am just wonder if this patch changes other items.

The test patch includes our all native "de-Javafied" code that people have been testing in this NeoOffice Testing forum topic. We plan to release this new code in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta later this month.

Since putting the new de-Javafied code in the next NeoOffice 3.2.1 patch seems risky, I am preparing NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 6 that is Patch 5 plus folder change to fix for your bug plus fixes for a few other bugs that have been reported since Patch 5 was released.

As for the border items, can you post a screen snapshot of what you see with the test patch? I can then see if any of the lines are being drawn too wide as we have found some cases where Java and native line drawing cause shapes to draw slightly differently with the de-Javafied code.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject:

Do we need to uninstall the old patch when you put out the new one or does it automatically take out the old patch you gave us when we install the new one?
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject:

Attached is the screenshot. The lines are bolder. I am not saying there is a problem. I just noticed that it looked different after the patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
Do we need to uninstall the old patch when you put out the new one or does it automatically take out the old patch you gave us when we install the new one?

It will overwrite all files that the test patch installed. You can even reinstall NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5 and it will overwrite all files in the test patch because there are no new files in the test patch.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject:

Since I consider this folder deletion problem that you found might affect a lot of users, I have upload a test patch that will be identical to what I plan to put in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 6.

Can you install the following test patch, open a document with an embedded object, edit the embedded object, and then leave NeoOffice running until with that document unsaved over the weekend? If you can save the document on Monday and then close and reopen the saved document to verify that there was no corruption, then I will release Patch 6 Monday night California time.

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-With-Java-1-Intel.dmg

If the document becomes corrupted after saving, can you execute the following Terminal commands *before* you quit NeoOffice? This will tell us if any of NeoOffice files or folders have been deleted:

Code:
find ~/Library/Application\ Support/NeoOffice
find ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject:

Will do. Thanks.
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject:

It is now Monday morning and everything seems fine following the process you outlined.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
It is now Monday morning and everything seems fine following the process you outlined.

OK. I will push NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 6 out this morning. I went ahead and built Patch 6 at the same time that I built the test patch that you tested so that Patch 6 would be ready to go if the fix worked for you.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix that was in the previous test patch in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 6. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.2.1 patch download page.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject:

One anomaly I notice with this patch is that if I open an existing document and make no changes at all it asks if I want to save the changes or discard them.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
One anomaly I notice with this patch is that if I open an existing document and make no changes at all it asks if I want to save the changes or discard them.

I cannot reproduce that behavior when I open any of my .odt files on Mac OS 10.6.

Are you opening a different type of document or using a different version of Mac OS X? If you are using Mac OS X 10.7, are you seeing "locked" in the document window's titlebar?

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:

I can't reproduce it now either, so ignore.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I forgot that there is one case in the latest patch where you will see the "save or discard" dialog when you close an unchanged document: on Mac OS X 10.7 and higher, any edits in the document will cause the titlebar to display "Edited". However, if you then undo all edits, there is no way to tell Mac OS X to remove this "Edited" status so, to be safe, our code detects when the titlebar shows an "Edited" status so that when you close any such document windows, our code will tell NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that your document has been edited and that will trigger the OpenOffice.org code to display the "save or discard" dialog.

BTW, while investigating the above, I found a bug in the latest patch that disables the Mac OS X 10.7 Duplicate menu item that is in the titlebar's menu. There is a test patch available that fixes that bug in this post. Please note, however, that the test patch in that post contains the new de-Javafied code that we will soon release in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:

FYI. While working on implementing Mac OS X's application sandboxing, I found that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org still had some code that was creating temporary files in users' /tmp folder.

Although this OpenOffice.org code appears to be used only in a few specific cases, Mac OS X's habit of deleting files in the /tmp folder can cause data loss so I have modified this code to create temporary files in the user's ~/Library/Application Support/NeoOffice folder like I had done to fix the problem originally reported at the start of this forum topic.

The following test patch includes this OpenOffice.org fix:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks. I have not had any problems since your original fix, but have downloaded and installed the patch.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3