Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - font spacing issues?
font spacing issues?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jh
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: font spacing issues?

I've been using OpenOffice, X11, under Linux and MacOSX for some time. And also OpenOffice under WinXP.

I have both OO X11 and NeoOffice/J installed on my Mac running OSX 10.3.2.

There seem to be some font spacing differences between the two. Documents that just fit on a page in the X11 version, often spread on to two pages in NeoOffice/J. Sometimes this is because lines are breaking at different places. Other times, it seems like interline spacing must be different.

This is occurring with docs using Palatino and Bitstream Vera Serif.

Is there some setting I can tweak that will minimize this problem? Layout is important to me -- and I like the idea of my document looking the same no matter where it is opened with OO.

And thanks for all the great work with NeoOffice/J. Even though I can handle X11, most people I will recommend OO to on Mac need something that works like a Mac program. Again, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Forgot to mention ... am running NeoOffice/J Beta with patch 4. And OO X11 mac 1.1.2
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I suspect there will always be minor differences between the font metrics within OOo X11 and Neo. OOo is using the freetype library to do its font metric computations while Neo is using ATSUI and Mac OS X directly. While I'm not 100% sure, I think the subpixel rendering and kerning that has to be disabled in freetype due to patent issues may be the source of the problem. I don't think it's legally possible to get freetype to match OS X's interpretation of the same fonts (well, legally at least)

Not sure if that's the answer you wanted to hear :/

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Plus you're dealing with two different versions of OOo (1.1.3 in Neo/J and 1.1.2 for X11) and it's not unlikely that a change there affected things.

I've even seen a report of one guy having a 13-page difference in a document opening under two matching versions of OOo with the same fonts on the same machine but under two different Linux distributions Smile Sad

And with regards to freetype, as Ed mentioned, some folks have run some tests with the grey-area-patented-patched freetype and I still don't think they matched the rendering of Mac OS X. Sad

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies, Ed and Sardisson.

Pretty much what I suspected the issues were, but I was hoping it was just a setting I could flip somewhere.

These issues are probably why PostScript exists, so that you can be sure the page will layout the same way on any machine.

I'll have to see if upgrading to 1.1.3 on Linux gets me better compatibility with NeoOffice/J.

Again, thanks for all the hard work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject:

Althought there will usually be some layout differences, some of the problem might be a symptom of bug 349 and 365 in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/.

You might want to add yourself to the CC: list on those bugs and you will be automatically notified when I fix them.

Patrick
jh
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess spacing is a black art.

I have a two column document in Palatino that is "just right" on my Mac with OO X11 1.1.2.

Under NeoOffice/J it is one line too short.

Under OO WinXP 1.1.4 it is one line too long.

The lines break at the same places in all cases, so go figure.
ovvldc (away)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:

jh wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess spacing is a black art.

Quite right. And the very reason why everybody shoves PDF around the net these days Smile.

Lucky for us, there's some decent sorcerors around here..
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1