NeoOffice :: View topic - Blurry text in Retina display
Blurry text in Retina display

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macdrack
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Hi There.

The first test of the application was the same as before.
However, after tweaking the Info.plist in the contents I get the following.

Looks good?

Cheers.
Gav.

Last edited by macdrack on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
macdrack
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The test app gives this result.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Good catch about adding an NSHighResolutionCapable key to our Info.plist. I had thought that that key was only needed for Carbon applications but apparently it is also needed when using CoreGraphics objects like NeoOffice does.

From your screen snapshots, it is clear that NeoOffice is now drawing all text, lines, shapes, and native controls at double resolution. It is really obvious when I compare your latest screen snapshots to the first ones that you posted when you started this forum topic.

Since Retina display drawing is now working and the code changes to make it work are very low risk, I have added the NSHighResolutionCapable key to our Info.plist in the following test patch. My original approach was much riskier to implement so it is actually a good things that my original approach failed.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the text and native control resolution remains high? If so, can you reboot and verify that it doesn't revert back to low resolution? Toolbar icons will remain low resolution because we only have 32 x 32 pixel toolbar icons available, but drawing of text, line, shapes, and native controls should be high resolution before and after a reboot with the following test patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-1-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
macdrack
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

This is what I got with a fresh reinstall and patch, before and after a reboot.
From my point of view this is exactly what I was after. Please let me know if I can help further.

Cheers.
Gav.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject:

macdrack wrote:
This is what I got with a fresh reinstall and patch, before and after a reboot.
From my point of view this is exactly what I was after. Please let me know if I can help further.

We were planning to put out other NeoOffice 3.3 Beta build a few days after Apple releases Mac OS X 10.8 and, from your screen snapshots, I think it would be fairly safe to include the Retina display code improvements that were in the last test patch.

We will probably remain in "Beta phase" through the end of August so if you can keep using the latest test patch, let us know if you see any drawing that appears misaligned or odd. If you see any drawing oddities, post a screen snapshot and we will compare it to the behavior on a non-Retina display.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject:

Can you test one more thing in NeoOffice? I found this LibreOffice bug that occurs on Retina displays and I wanted to see if it occurs in the latest NeoOffice 3.3 Beta test patch.

If you can spare the time to test, install the following test patch. Then, open the attached test.odp presentation document and take a screen snapshot of the entire document window:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix this bug in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 which you can download from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
macdrack
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

thanks for the update and sorry about missing the test in the previous post. A crazy week with sick kids and I've only just managed to 'resurface' and get a handle on things.

I'll be grabbing the mountain lion update any day now so I'll post what that may bring.

Thanks.
Gavin.
macdrack
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject:

He the last test now on 10.8.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
Gav.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject:

Can you test one more thing in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2?

If you can spare the time to test, open the attached test.odp presentation document in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 and take a screen snapshot of the entire document window including the titlebar.

Patrick
macdrack
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject:

Like this?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the screen snapshot. It confirms that NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 does not suffer from this LibreOffice bug.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum