· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Newbie Calc questions
Newbie Calc questions

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robo
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Newbie Calc questions

Hello to all! I have just started using NeoOffice and am excited about it. I want nothing more than to be able to ditch MS Office.

Question #1. I know I can open Excel ( for Mac ) spreadsheets, but when I save any changes and the sheet becomes a *.sxc, Excel for Mac can not open it. I am curious to know if this compatibility is really only in this one direction? I would need it to go both ways.

Question #2. Can anyone tell me of an easier way to name cells in calc instead of going through all of the menus. Excel allows you to name via the name box in the upper left. This is not a biggie and I realize that this is a beta version. ( I using 1.1 Beta )

Thanks and this is an awsome project!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:

Robo,

you can select the file type in the save dialog. Just select an Excel type Wink

Thomas
Robo
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject:

Thomas,

Thanks. I'm not sure how I missed that. embarassing! Embarassed

Robo
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:

also, if you open an excel doc in neo, when you go to save (or just close, i forget) it will come up and say "saving in external formats may cause bad stuff to happen" (ok, so that was paraphrased, but it is something like that)
"do you want to save in native format?" and you say no.

what this is asking is "should this be saved as a neo-doc rather than an Excel doc because you are using neo, not excel?" don't worry about it, just say no, and it will save as excel.

or word, or ppt, or whatever you were using.
Robo
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:

aaaahhhhhhh.....thanks jakeOSX,....great tip. Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:

To one-up both Jake and Thomas Very Happy you can go to Neo/J's equivalent of the Mac prefernces windows, Tools>Options>Load/Save (click the + to expand)>General. At the bottom of that window are two boxes, one with the general document file types Neo/J can save (text, spreadsheet, etc.) and the other the specific format (MS version zz, Neo/J, etc.) to use as default when saving documents of that general type.

So if every spreadsheet you make will need to be opened in Excel, you can set Excel as the default format for saving spreadsheets. But if all your text documents are for use in Neo/J alone, you can have them saved in the native Neo format.

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Calc questions

Robo wrote:
Question #2. Can anyone tell me of an easier way to name cells in calc instead of going through all of the menus

The Define Names dialog (which is the one you get through Insert-Names-Define... via the menu) is by default assigned to cmd-F3, but you can go into Tools-Configure-Keyboard and change that to some other key combo you like (I've got cmd-0) - the function to choose is Insert-Define Range Names.

Once you've defined a cell/range name it'll appear in the Sheet Area dropdown at the left of the toolbar (the dropdown that normally just shows e.g. A1 or A1:C4 for the selected cell/range). Then you can choose your named cell/range from the dropdown. Use your key combo to call up the dialog again to edit/delete cell/range names you've set up.

- yoxi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:

sardisson & yoxi.....That's great information. Thanks a bunch. Thanks to all of you who have replied, you are very helpful. I'm eyeing NeoOffice as a replacement for MS Office in our cmpany. So far, I'm liking what I see.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1