Writer Crashes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
Another shot. This one was after working on a document for 10 minutes or so with various edits to spreadsheets in writer.

That definitely confirms my theory in my last post. NeoOffice's memory usage is nearly 2 GB in your screen snapshot.

Until I have a fix, I definitely recommend that you quit and restart NeoOffice when NeoOffice's memory usage is more than 1 GB.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:

This will be my last comment on this so I won't drive you crazy, but as I keep on working in the document it is now up to 2.06GB memory for NeoOffice. It does seem to keep growing.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the memory leak that is causing the crash that you and your colleague are seeing.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if you are seeing memory usage in Activity Monitor grow rapidly like it was before? You don't need to run until it crashes. Just test if memory usage stays under 1 GB:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject:

I can reproduce gbh's memory leak problem with NeoOffice 3.3 on OS X 10.7.4.
I've now installed Patch 0 Test 1 and the problem remains.

Steps I used:
- Open NeoOffice and a new Writer document
- Insert::Object::OLE Object…
- Select "Create New" and NeoOffice 3.3 Spreadsheet. Click OK
- Enter some text in the spreadsheet
- Click out of the spreadsheet
- Double click the spreadsheet to enter it
- Repeat the last two steps.

Watching NeoOffice's Real Mem amount in Activity Monitor shows it gaining around 20MB every time I double click the spreadsheet or deselect it.

Andy
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject:

I concur with amayze and can confirm that the amount in memory keeps growing as before with the patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject:

I did not claim that NeoOffice would have zero growth in real memory with the test patch and closing each document. That is why I asked to see if it stayed under 1 GB of memory usage.

I will recheck NeoOffice using amayze's steps but since I no longer see any memory leaks when running NeoOffice in Apple's Instruments developer tool, there are no obvious memory links left to fix in the gbh's original enter and exit an embedded spreadsheet case so I would like to know the answer to my original question question: does memory usage stay below 1 GB with the test patch?

I suspect that both of you are seeing memory usage from NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code caching undo operations, graphics, and/or object caches and memory usage. Memory usage from these caches will grow until those caches are full.

BTW, the sizes for each of these caches can be raised or lowered by selecting the Tools :: Options menu and, in the dialog that appears, select the NeoOffice :: Memory item.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:

Sorry I was not more clear. For example, I have been working on a document for about 25 minutes and the memory is up to 1.77 GB already, going up consistently. The big jumps are when going in and out of embedded tables. It will keep going up, regardless of saves, etc.
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:

Patrick- Questions regarding the caches-

1) Can I set it at a number low enough that would preclude most crashes?

2) What level would you recommend?

3) How does setting a lower cache amount affect everything else?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject:

Don't worry about changing the caches yet as I found that my test patch did not include the binary that has my memory leak fix. After each new NeoOffice release, I reset the list of binaries to include in patches and late last night I had forgotten to add back the binary.

The following test patch definitely has my memory leak fix so can you install the following test patch and tell us if you are seeing memory usage in Activity Monitor grow rapidly like it was before? This test patch should show memory usage growth that is no more than (and maybe less) than NeoOffice 3.2.1:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:

It is up to around 1.04 GB now after 30 minutes or so. The total memory goes up much more slowly than before. The tables appear to be opening and closing more slowly.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
It is up to around 1.04 GB now after 30 minutes or so. The total memory goes up much more slowly than before. The tables appear to be opening and closing more slowly.

Do you have any ability to compare the memory usage growth to NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 8?

As for the slowing down, check if Free Memory in the Activity Monitor application's System Memory tab is getting low. If so, you are seeing "disk swapping" which means that there is not enough system memory for all running applications so Mac OS X starts using disk (which is much slower to access than system memory) as a substitute.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Memory usage was growing much faster earlier with the first patch. it rapidly went to 1.7GB after 20 minutes or so.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 0 Test 2.

Like gbh I see the memory usage go up more slowly - 3-4MB every switch, rather than 10-20MB.

I've compared it to NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 7. It seems pretty similar now, possibly a bit better in fact, though it's a little hard to judge as 3.2.1 P 7 seems to grab say 6MB of memory then release 2MB after a few seconds. (I guess that's a Java thing.) Whereas 3.3 P0 T2 doesn't grab as much each time, but equally doesn't release as much either.

I'll leave the real world stuff and speed comparisons to gbh.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Now that my fix for the known memory leaks are fixed, from past posts gbh is using a machine with a Retina display. Since Retina display support causes all window and image drawing to use 4 times more memory than non-Retina display machines, I am wondering if the large memory usage is a direct result of using a Retina display.

The 4 times large memory usage for window and image drawing comes from the fact that on Retina displays, Apple draws 2 x 2 pixels in the same space as non-Retina display machines draw in 1 x 1 pixel.

So, do you have a non-Retina display machine to compare memory usage to? If so, does the same actions over the same period result in a sizable percentage less memory usage than what you are seeing on your Retina display machine?

If the Retina display machines use a lot more memory than non-Retina display machines, you may want to try reducing the number Undo steps by 75% and restart NeoOffice to see if memory usage stabilizes at a lower amount.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Downloading it now to try on a non-retina older MacBook Pro with OSX 10.8 at home.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4