Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - measurement unit not honnored?
measurement unit not honnored?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: measurement unit not honnored?

hello,

I am French and as such, I prefer metric measurements. So I have configured for Writer the Measurement Unit to be in cm (Preferences / Neo Office Writer / General / Settings).

As a direct consequence, in the Table Format dialog Borders tab, the "spacing to contents" is expressed in cm. Which is exactly what I want.

However, most of the time, I am using the Borders dialog instead (I have added the Format / Borders command as a button to one of my toolbars). And, contrary to the Table Format dialog, the "Spacing to contents" is expressed in inch by default (instead of cm).

So because, most of the time, I use this Borders dialog, I end having to use inch measurements (sorry, English people, but I am not used to multiple of 2.54 cm Smile). However, as soon as I open the Border tab of the Table Format dialog, then after that, the "Spacing to contents" reverts back to cm (for both table and paragraph).

But if I quit NeoOffice, and relauch it, the inch unit is back again!

Please note that I have the impression that in 3.3 this is systematic while in previous version, this was more or less erratic. Please also note that I can live with this strange behaviour as I suppose you have more urgent bugs to fix.

Regards.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have moved this topic to the NeoOffice Support forum as it really is a support request, not a feature request.

NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code pulls many text, number, date, and measurement formats from the Mac OS X system preferences so I suspect that you have some NeoOffice user preferences set to inches that and one or more of those preferences are overriding your Mac OS X system preferences.

To test my theory, can you try the following steps?:

1. Quit NeoOffice

2. Launch the System Preferences application, clicked on the Language & Text icon, and selected the Formats tab. In that tab, make sure that the region listbox is set to "France (French)".

3. Nagivate into your ~/Library/Preferences folder and move any folders with a name starting with "NeoOffice-" folders to your Desktop. This will force NeoOffice to create a new set of user preference files and removes any conflicting old user preferences. Note that "~" means your Home folder and that on Mountain Lion you navigate to the ~/Library folder by selecting the Finder application's Go :: Library menu.

4. Restart NeoOffice.

Do the above steps stop the problem from occurring? If not, can you attach a sample document that I can use to reproduce this problem?

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I have moved this topic to the NeoOffice Support forum as it really is a support request, not a feature request.

NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code pulls many text, number, date, and measurement formats from the Mac OS X system preferences so I suspect that you have some NeoOffice user preferences set to inches that and one or more of those preferences are overriding your Mac OS X system preferences.

To test my theory, can you try the following steps?:

1. Quit NeoOffice

2. Launch the System Preferences application, clicked on the Language & Text icon, and selected the Formats tab. In that tab, make sure that the region listbox is set to "France (French)".
Patrick

Yes this is the case.
Please note however that my System (10.6.8 ) is in English. I am a develop, and I prefer to have OSs in English.

pluby wrote:

3. Nagivate into your ~/Library/Preferences folder and move any folders with a name starting with "NeoOffice-" folders to your Desktop. This will force NeoOffice to create a new set of user preference files and removes any conflicting old user preferences. Note that "~" means your Home folder and that on Mountain Lion you navigate to the ~/Library folder by selecting the Finder application's Go :: Library menu.
Patrick

It worked the first time (I was obliged to reconfigure the toolbar to get access to the Borders function), but when I quit Neo and relaunch it, the unit was in inch again (see attachement picture).

I have also attached a file, just in case.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
Please note however that my System (10.6.8 ) is in English. I am a develop, and I prefer to have OSs in English.

That should be OK. NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org uses the system language preference for localized strings and uses the system formats preference for most measurements.

fmu wrote:
It worked the first time (I was obliged to reconfigure the toolbar to get access to the Borders function), but when I quit Neo and relaunch it, the unit was in inch again (see attachement picture).

Can you tell me how you added the toolbar? I am not able to reproduce what you see when I select the Borders tab in the dialogs that appear when I select the Format :: Character or Format :: Paragraph menu and in your test document, the Table :: Table Properties menu is disabled. So, I suspect that this problem might be a bug in the OpenOffice.org code that only appears in cases like yours where the Borders tab is displayed from a toolbar.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Can you tell me how you added the toolbar? I am not able to reproduce what you see when I select the Borders tab in the dialogs that appear when I select the Format :: Character or Format :: Paragraph menu and in your test document, the Table :: Table Properties menu is disabled. So, I suspect that this problem might be a bug in the OpenOffice.org code that only appears in cases like yours where the Borders tab is displayed from a toolbar.

Patrick

Open the Customize dialog, go to the Toolbar tab, then click on the Add... button. Then select the Format catagory (left column). In the right column, search for Borders (just after Bold). Select it and click Add. Click Ok.
In the choosen toolbar (I have added the Borders to the Standard toolbar), you now have a new icon made of blue horizontal lines.
You can use the icon to set the borders for either a paragraph or a table and this is much more efficient that having to open the table properties dialog or the paragraph dialog to set border.

Regards.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the steps. I can reproduce this not only in NeoOffice, but also in the lastest versions of both OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice so this definitely an OpenOffice.org bug.

I also found a workaround: if you select the Format :: Paragraph menu for a document once, this OpenOffice.org bug does not occur. This makes me think that the bug is caused by some initialization code is getting skipped when using the toolbar button.

Although this is not a critical bug, I will take a look at the OpenOffice.org code and see if I can find what code is being skipped. If I can find it easily, I will see if this is fixable. Note, however, that if any critical crashing or hanging bugs are reported this week, this bug will be lower priority since there is a workaround.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this OpenOffice.org bug. Fortunately, after finding the OpenOffice.org code that is executed when you select the Format :: Paragraph and Format :: Page menus, I found that copying the measurement initialization code from those to the Borders dialog code worked.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the OpenOffice.org bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Also, this test patch contains an unrelated change that will eventually help us comply with Apple's App Sandbox guidelines. You should not notice any different behavior from this change but if NeoOffice will not launch or will not quit, then please let us know.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed this OpenOffice.org bug. Fortunately, after finding the OpenOffice.org code that is executed when you select the Format :: Paragraph and Format :: Page menus, I found that copying the measurement initialization code from those to the Borders dialog code worked.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the OpenOffice.org bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-1-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Also, this test patch contains an unrelated change that will eventually help us comply with Apple's App Sandbox guidelines. You should not notice any different behavior from this change but if NeoOffice will not launch or will not quit, then please let us know.

Patrick

Hello

I just installed the patch and it is working just fine.
Thank you ** A LOT **.
As for the sandboxing stuff, I am working on 10.6.8, so I guess I am not concerned. The application was able to launch though Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
As for the sandboxing stuff, I am working on 10.6.8, so I guess I am not concerned. The application was able to launch though Smile

Although you are running on 10.6.8, you are using my code changes. Where possible, I am making changes that will use one set of code that will run both with and without the sandbox.

BTW, I made some more changes to the sandboxing code. Can you install the following test patch and confirm that you can still launch and quit NeoOffice?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-1-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject:

Don't know about fmu, but it still seems to work fine for me Smile.
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:

Although you are running on 10.6.8, you are using my code changes. Where possible, I am making changes that will use one set of code that will run both with and without the sandbox.

Patrick

What I was try to say (sorry If this was not clear) is that, being on 10.6.8, I could not verify the part of your code that deals with sandboxing.

Quote:

BTW, I made some more changes to the sandboxing code. Can you install the following test patch and confirm that you can still launch and quit NeoOffice?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-1-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Still working
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:

For now don't worry about testing the sandboxing stuff as none of our installers enable sandboxing for the application. The important thing is just to verify that if we make a change needed for sandboxing that it doesn't break anything in the regular patches. It is going to definitely be a long time before sandboxing is something ready for general testing.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 2. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.3 patch download page.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 2. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.3 patch download page.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1