Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Tables import from WordPerfect Mac OS 3.5e & Praise
Tables import from WordPerfect Mac OS 3.5e & Praise

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Tables import from WordPerfect Mac OS 3.5e & Praise

Confused

I can't import Tables, the text seems to drop into heaps.

BUT that is a problem I can live with. Mostly I want to Thank the NeoOffice developers for making me able to leave Mac OS 9 behind (sniffle). I deeply regret the lack of support by Apple and Sun which I have read about.

The Appleworks "replacement" the so called iWrite has no spreadsheet nor database modules. It seems to be a phoney replacement for Appleworks the was InDesign was a fraudulant "replacement" for Pagemaker.

Why is it I feel really slighted? I lived in Pagemaker and WordPerfect. they were serious work horses. InDesign and iWrite seem geared to glossy fooling around. But that is just me maybe.

Keep up the great work! Maybe we'll have a magazine and a TechTV review someday. (Is TechTV still existing?) : )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Are you seeing the same problem as in bug 372 in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=372&pos=1)?

If yes, add yourself to the bug's CC: list and you will be automatically notified when a fix is available.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:

(dont' get me wrong i LOVE neo!)

man do i miss wordperfect. wordperfect 8, then 9 was the best word processor i have ever used, and was, seriously, the only reason i considered staying a PC user. it is eloquent, simple, and gives you so much control over formatting. the show styles function in WP was, hands down, the best thing ever.

so, yeah.

(i mean LOVE neo... really...)

-j
ovvldc (away)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tables import from WordPerfect Mac OS 3.5e & Praise

Leo wrote:
I can't import Tables, the text seems to drop into heaps.

I know Fridrich Strba has done a lot of improvements to the import filter. Maybe this has improved as well. Perhaps in the next big build?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Nope, table import has not been implemented for the Mac file formats yet (along with columns, fonts, and a number of other, mostly minor, things). The important thing for libwpd 0.8 was to get the basic support in there and working.

BTW, thanks to the successful Neo/J test-run of the WPD4/3.5e support, it has been turned on for the official libwpd builds. libwpd-0.8 should be out "soon" and hopefully all of its other improvements will make its way to Neo/J in a patch update once Fridrich has had time to catch his breath from the release effort.... Smile

(And I told Fridrich just the other day that he'd start seeing bug reports/requests for the table support to be added to the Mac formats Very Happy)

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
(And I told Fridrich just the other day that he'd start seeing bug reports/requests for the table support to be added to the Mac formats Very Happy)

And I told Smokey just the other day to recruit more Mac users to become libwpd hackers. Very Happy
A help would be needed in mapping incorrectly mapped WP Characters into Unicode, for example. Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:

fridrich wrote:
sardisson wrote:

And I told Smokey just the other day to recruit more Mac users to become libwpd hackers. Very Happy

When libwpd-0.8 comes out (since it's the first to feature Mac support, and a Mac installer package, I assume), you bet my announcement messages/package readme will include that call for help Smile

fridrich wrote:
A help would be needed in mapping incorrectly mapped WP Characters into Unicode, for example. Wink

For more info on this project, here's Fridrich's message to libwpd-devel@sourceforge.net / dev@wp.openoffice.org

fridrich wrote:
Re: Call for help in enhancing our mapping of WP charsets into unicode
Date: 2005-01-21 02:08

Hello everybody,

If you wonder how you can help the libwpd project, but you think that
you cannot code in C++, read following.

During the libwpd-0.8.x cycle, I would like to clear a little bit our
mapping of WP charsets to unicode. Nowadays, we have quite a good
system, but it is a little bit outdated. Many of WP characters point
into the "Private use area" of unicode definition (from E000 to F8FF).
The rule in this area is a freedom. Every vendor can map into these
unicode range whatever she wants.

The point would be to revisit our charset conversion and point out which
characters are not coverted correctly along with their unicode number.
The unicode charts can be found on http://www.unicode.org/charts/

It is a lengthy work, but very necessary. If you feel like helping,
please send to this list:
a) WP charset
b) WP character number
c) unicode number of this character.

Each newly corrected character is precious.

Fridrich Strba
libwpd developer

Each newly-corrected character is indeed precious. (I love that line!)

...Except when it's a standard MacRoman character that got mapped to the wrong WP charset character in the WP doc and then ended up with the wrong Unicode output! Fridrich and I had "fun" early on with the "smart" quotes (“ ” ‘ ’) because 1) WP-Mac was storing them as WP charset chars even though a) they were standard MacRoman characters and b) the WP Charset Fonts were not available on the Mac until very late in the 3.x lifetime and 2) at some point a bug was introduced into WP-Mac storing some of the quotes as the wrong WP charset character and all the quotes were coming out in OOo/Neo as strange Unicode quote characters that weren't found in any standard Mac font's glyph repertoire!

Seriously, we wouldn't be here today having this discussion if not for the work of Marc (who added the initial support for the WPD3/WP 3.0-3.5.4 docs to libwpd) and of Fridrich, who cleaned up the bugs I found, kindly dealt with all my annoying emails, taught me how to build libwpd/wpd2sxw on the Mac, dealt with more of my annoying emails, put together the patches to enable libwpd and writerperfect to be integrated into Neo/J, dealt with more of my annoying emails.... Smile (And of course William "Father of libwpd"!)

So if you're looking for some way to help out that doesn't involve programming knowledge, design skills, etc., the "Each newly-corrected character is precious" campaign might be just the thing.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1