Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash when quitting while saving new document
Crash when quitting while saving new document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Crash when quitting while saving new document

Dear Patrick,

I had a crash when using the latest sandbox testing patch. I don't know if it is related, but I figured you would like to see the log.

I put it for a month at http://pastebin.com/BKHHkU0M

The crash happened when I was closing NeoOffice after editing a short text document with three large tiff images embedded. The document seems to have been saved just fine.

best wishes,
Oscar

P.S. I cannot share the document publicly (business correspondence), but I would be happy to send it to you privately if you need it to dig deeper.

Edit by pluby: changed forum topic title now that we know how to reproduce this crashing bug

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject:

The crash is occurring in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org file saving code.

Can you attach the file (as well as the crash log so it doesn't disappear in 30 days) so that I can see if I can reproduce the crash?

The changes in the current test only fix gradient drawing and replace a few deprecated functions with newer replacement Apple functions so my initial guess is that this crashing bug has probably been in NeoOffice for some time.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject:

I sent it to your email address, as promised.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I sent it to your email address, as promised.

You as a long-time moderator should know that we expect crash logs and sample files to be attached to one of your forum posts. The posting of your crashlog to a separate site caught my attention.

I am guessing that you have some issue with making your crash log and sample file public which means that I cannot accept your e-mail as it would expose us to unnecessary liability. We don't want to know any other organization's confidential data so we quarantine e-mail with attachments by default.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject:

I do. Sorry. Let's just say there is a lot going on.

I've attached the crash log. As for the document, it is not going to get you liable to see it, but it is something I do not want strewn about the internet.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I've attached the crash log. As for the document, it is not going to get you liable to see it, but it is something I do not want strewn about the internet.

I understand. So my next question is this crash reproducible for you? From what I can see, the crash log shows the crashing occurring when you are quitting NeoOffice (I can't tell if you were pressing the Command-Q keys or selecting the NeoOffice :: Quit menu) and, after that, you were saving the document.

If you cannot reproduce the document, do you remember what changes you made to the document before you saved?

Any data you can provide might help.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I thought about that and was about to post.

I was already saving the document (cmd-S), and it asked me to confirm. I then hit cmd-Q while it was still saving and NeoOffice asked me if I wanted to save again. I agreed and it might have tried to save twice at the same time.

I suppose this happened because the document is 4 MB large, with three big .tiff files in it that take lots of time to compress. It is otherwise only four pages of text in Times New Roman, Arial and two footnotes..

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I was already saving the document (cmd-S), and it asked me to confirm. I then hit cmd-Q while it was still saving and NeoOffice asked me if I wanted to save again. I agreed and it might have tried to save twice at the same time.

That might be the key. You should not be prompted to save while you are in the process of saving. Today I will try and get NeoOffice to display the save dialog twice like you are seeing.

If I can reproduce that behavior, then I will focus on fixing that bug first in the hope that that is what is causing the crash you are seeing.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:

It only happened to me once, because I haven't pushed it into this situation again. But it just seemed weird enough to me to warrant reporting it.

Good hunting!

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

I can now reproduce this bug using the following steps. Also, I found that this bug occurs in unpatched NeoOffice 3.3 so it is definitely not caused by any of the new code in our latest test patches and so I have moved this forum topic to the NeoOffice Support forum and changed the forum topic's title to make this topic easier to find from a search:

1. Download a 4 MB sample image (I found a camera manufacturer site using Google).

2. Create a Writer file, add a few words of text in it, and insert the sample image that you downloaded 3 times using the Insert :: Picture :: From File menu.

3. Press Command-S to save the file. After pressing the Save button in the native save dialog, immediately press Command-Q.

4. If you have pressed Command-Q fast enough, the "do you want to save dialog?" will appear. Press the Save button and the native save dialog will appear again. After pressing the Save button in the native save dialog, NeoOffice will crash within a few seconds.

I will now focus on finding the cause of this duplicate saving. I will post when I have some news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug by delaying dispatching of the quit event. In the following test patch, the shutdown request generated by the quit menu item will not be processed until after the save is done:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-2-Test-15-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix that was in the previous test patch in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice 3.3 patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1