Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Hang after printing form letter
Hang after printing form letter

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Hang after printing form letter

I have a form letter which prints out a form to fill in by hand, but puts a serial number on it using a link to a spreadsheet.

After printing the letter the writer window becomes un responsive and text entry into another open writer window does not enter anything, merely moves the cursor. Also when printing to pdf only the first letter is printed to pdf, the others go to a printer.

Steps:

1. Open the two attached dot files
2. With SH Form.odt front most select File::Print
3. Agree that you want to print a form letter
4. Choose a range of number to print say 41 to 43 and select Separate Print Jobs.
5. Click OK
6. In the Print dialogue Select PDF::Open in Preview
7. Click Print
8. Preview opens with the first document S.No. 41, the remaining pages (42,43) are sent to the printer.
9. Click back to NeoOffice windows.
10. Window of document just printed is now unresponsive. Text entered in other open window does not show and neither does highlight when click dragging to select text.
11. NeoOffice will not quit. Has to be Force Quit.

I hope this is clear. I have a sample of NeoOffice after I have printed and it has gone wrong.

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject:

An extra post for some more attachments.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:

While I can open your documents and I am able to connect them to the data in your .ods file, I cannot reproduce the hanging that you see.

What I do see in your sample of the NeoOffice process is that NeoOffice is hung in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code's "run grammar checker if one is installed".

Do you have a third-party grammar checker extension installed? If so, does the hanging still occur if you uninstall the grammar checker extension and restart NeoOffice?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject:

One more thing: the hang is also occurring when NeoOffice is saving the image in your document so please attach the linked image in your .odt document and I will try reproducing this again.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject:

Don't think I've got a grammar checker installed (other than OS X's).

Here's the logo.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject:

OK. Once I got the image to display in your document, I was able to reproduce the hanging when I try to print a second time.

From what I can see in a debugger, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is stuck in an infinite loop while processing the linked image.

I will have to investigate further to see what is causing this infinite loop in the OpenOffice.org code.

BTW, since I can now reproduce this NeoOffice 3.3 both with and without any patches, I will move this forum topic to the NeoOffice Support forum.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patch.

Can you install the following test patch and see if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:

FYI. In addition to my fix for the hanging bug in my last test patch, I have changed the code in the following test patch so that when you choose the "separate print jobs" option, all of the print jobs output to the option that you selected in the native print dialog.

So, if you select PDF :: Open in Preview in the native print dialog, none of the print jobs will go to the printer. I still need to figure out how to make selecting the PDF :: Save as PDF work the same as Preview but I want to know if this works OK for you first:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. In addition to my fix for the hanging bug in my last test patch, I have changed the code in the following test patch so that when you choose the "separate print jobs" option, all of the print jobs output to the option that you selected in the native print dialog.

So, if you select PDF :: Open in Preview in the native print dialog, none of the print jobs will go to the printer.

I can confirm that the printing destination now works as expected with separate print jobs.

I'll check the crashing bug at work tomorrow and confirm that too.

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject:

Further to the above I can confirm that NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3 Test 6 also fixes the hang and crash bug after printing a form letter with an image in it.

Thanks Patrick.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject:

FYI. In the following test patch, selecting the PDF :: Save as PDF option in the native print dialog will no longer send any of the print jobs to the printer. Instead, each print job after the first print job will be saved with the same file name as the first print job with " 1", " 2", etc. appended onto the file name.

Can you install the following test patch and confirm when printing with "separate print jobs" option and selecting the PDF :: Save as PDF option in the native print dialog works as described above?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-7-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 3 Test 7 and can confirm that it works as you describe above.

This isn't a bug, but would it be possible to have the document's name in the save as PDF dialogue rather than the temp file name generated by the printing system?

Thanks again,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
This isn't a bug, but would it be possible to have the document's name in the save as PDF dialogue rather than the temp file name generated by the printing system?

It appears that I can make this change. However, first I need to revisit the hanging bug as while investigating your request, I encountered the hanging bug again. It only occurred once but it is clear that my original fix is not enough to fully fix the bug.

When I have a new fix for the hanging bug, I will include the file name change in the native save dialog when printing to PDF.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have a new fix for the hanging bug in the following test patch as well as the file name change in the native save dialog when printing to PDF. Please let me know if the hanging bug reoccurs for you:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 3 Test 8. It now uses the filename for the saved documents, and it didn't crash in a simple test.

I will look out for it hanging or crashing over the next wee while.

Thanks for sorting this Patrick.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2