Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Couldn't open files from menu: Restart fixed
Couldn't open files from menu: Restart fixed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Couldn't open files from menu: Restart fixed

Today when I was working with Neo, I ran into an issue where I could not open an existing file or create a new document using key commands or by choosing the command from the menus. Here are the details I noticed:

-If I used the key command the File menu would highlight, but nothing would happen.
-I could open documents & create new ones from the dock commands
-It only happened when there were no other documents opened. If a document window was already open, the open/new commands worked fine from the menu and keyboard.
-Quitting and Restarting Neo seemed to resolve the issue.

I did try to take a sample, but I'm not sure I got back to Neo to try a command quickly enough. I'll attach it if you think it will be helpful, but I hesitate to ask you to look at it when I'm guessing it will be useless.

I looked at the Console, but I don't find anything I recognize as Neo related. I do have a lot of "deny mach-lookup" messages, if that means anything.

If this happens again, are there other tests I should try or things I should check?

I'm using Neo 3.3 Patch 3 (probably Test 2) on Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Note to self: this is on Majel.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:

This sounds similar to the unresponsive document problem reported here.

Can you attach the sample that you took? Hopefully that will tell me if it is the same or different problem. Also, can you install the following test patch and see if the problem occurs again for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject:

Here's the sample. I've downloaded the test patch and I'll apply it today. I'll let you know if it crops up again, or if anything else odd happens.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample. Your sample indicates that NeoOffice was not doing any work and was just waiting for the next key, mouse, or menu event so I think that the problem you are seeing is not the unresponsive document problem that I fixed in the last test patch.

Rereading your original post, the fact that the Quit menu and NeoOffice Dock icon's menus work but the "no document window" menus do not work makes me suspect that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code has changed the active menus and our code has failed to push the menu changes to the native Mac OS X menubar and, if that is what is happening, the native menus point to stale OpenOffice.org internal menu references.

In other words, the native menus have gotten out of sync with the what the OpenOffice.org code has asked our code to set the menus to.

I am not sure how to fix this but I do suspect that you have found a bug so I will review our native menu handling code to see if there are some obvious errors in our code.

In the meantime, if this bug occurs again, can you try to note if you closed any documents or dialogs immediately before the bug occurs?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Will do.

I can tell you that when it happened the first time yesterday, I had had documents open earlier and closed them. I don't know that I closed them immediately before trying to create a new document or open an existing one. I think the first time i had closed all open documents, moved to another app, and then come back to Neo.

The second time I know I had opened a document from the dock, verified that I could then use the commands from the File menu, closed it, and immediately tried to use Command-N and Command-O with no luck.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Your notes made me think of one other thing to look for if this bug occurs again: check that only the menus in the attached image are in the menubar.

If you see the Insert and Format menus, it means that the menubar is showing menus for one of the closed windows and the bug is that our code is not updating the menubar to show the "no document windows" menus.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:

Will do! Thanks for the tip.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I think that I know what is causing this bug and I think that I have fixed it in the following test patch.

What I think is causing this bug is the code that delays updating of the native menus for .25 seconds after the last menu action. This delayed menu updating fixed the problem reported in this post that would cause one of the menus in the menubar would remain highlighted.

While delaying menu updating solved that problem, it could cause the native menus to not be in sync with the menus that the OpenOffice.org code expects are active so I have modified our code to force any pending delayed menu updates to be done immediately after the Command key is pressed or the mouse is clicked on the menubar.

Can you install the following test patch and if the menu problem that you saw reoccurs, please let us know:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-9-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix that was in the previous test patch in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 4. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice 3.3 patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1