· Language Packs
· User Guide
· User Guide Volume 2

Other Websites
· NeoOffice.org
· NeoWiki

Languages
Select Interface Language:

trinity.neooffice.org :: View topic - Preventing unwanted column creation.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Preventing unwanted column creation.
Users who have purchased direct support within the last year can post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trinity.neooffice.org Forum Index -> NeoOffice Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryoman
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Preventing unwanted column creation. Reply with quote

Another basic question...

If I stray to the right in a Calc document, beyond my data, the thing "helpfully" creates new columns, apparently unto the end of space/time.

The mere thought of all these unwanted and unrequested empty columns existing "out there" into the void nearly drives me nuts... No, really - it does. And can I then "get rid" of them? No I can't... apparently.

So can I prevent Calc from creating these in the first place, and LIMIT my spreadsheet to the columns *I actually want*?? Can't see how to do it.

Same applies to rows, of course, in the other direction.

Don't tell me I can 'hide' them, or something - I want them never to exist in the first place! Wink

Thanks for advice...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Preventing unwanted column creation. Reply with quote

bryoman wrote:
The mere thought of all these unwanted and unrequested empty columns existing "out there" into the void nearly drives me nuts... No, really - it does. And can I then "get rid" of them? No I can't... apparently.

You are making some incorrect assumptions about how Calc files are stored. When you save a Calc files, the data that is stored as a list of only cells with actual content (also known as a "sparse list"). Empty cells do not exist in a Calc file so what you are seeing on screen are non-existing cells that you may potentially use.

In other words, there are no "resources" being wasted when you scroll past the range of existing, used cells. Even filling a cell in the bottom-right-most cell only creates one cell in your Calc file.

BTW, if you accidentally scroll out too far, you can jump back to the last non-empty cell by pressing the Command-left or Command-up arrows.

Patrick

bryoman
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Preventing unwanted column creation. Reply with quote

Quote:
You are making some incorrect assumptions about how Calc files are stored. When you save a Calc files, the data that is stored as a list of only cells with actual content (also known as a "sparse list"). Empty cells do not exist in a Calc file so what you are seeing on screen are non-existing cells that you may potentially use.

In other words, there are no "resources" being wasted when you scroll past the range of existing, used cells. Even filling a cell in the bottom-right-most cell only creates one cell in your Calc file.

BTW, if you accidentally scroll out too far, you can jump back to the last non-empty cell by pressing the Command-left or Command-up arrows.

Patrick

OK - many thanks, Patrick - I think it's more the sight of all these columns, rather than them being actually using resources, than grates with me. I'll learn to live with them now!

Thanks for your invaluable help in 2012 - and can I wish you (and all our community) a peaceful Festive Season, and more peace in 2013.

Jeremy R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trinity.neooffice.org Forum Index -> NeoOffice Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1