Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Scanning broken on OS 10.8 again
Scanning broken on OS 10.8 again

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Scanning broken on OS 10.8 again

Having got scanning working on 10.8 as documented in this forum topic it seems to have broken again, at least for me.

Steps:
- Open NeoOffice with a blank writer document.
- Select either Insert::Picture::Scan::Request… or Tools::Add-Ons::Paste Image from Scanner or Camera
- An image capture window opens with the scanners on the left hand side and a blank panel on the right (see attachment).
- Click on the red close button.
- The writer document closes behind the scanner window, then NeoOffice crashes (log attached).

This sounds very similar to the first fixed issue on this wiki page, but I guess the cause may be different.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce the crash when I plug my Epson scanner into my Mac OS X 10.8.2 machine. I also noticed that nothing is displaying in the main area of the window when a scanner is selected so maybe that is related to the crash.

I will investigate this further and I post again when I have some news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed both the crashing bug and the empty scanner panel bug that you found in the "Paste Image from Camera or Scanner" dialog.

I ended up having to reimplement a lot of the code that I wrote last September as I found that the device panels in that dialog must remain in memory even after the dialog has closed as the Mac OS X device objects that those panels reference will make updates to the panels regardless of whether the dialog is open or not.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the dialog works properly and there is no crashing?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-12-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 3 Test 12 and it seems to have fixed both the blank window and crashing bugs.

Quote:
I ended up having to reimplement a lot of the code that I wrote last September as I found that the device panels in that dialog must remain in memory even after the dialog has closed as the Mac OS X device objects that those panels reference will make updates to the panels regardless of whether the dialog is open or not.

This is an unfortunate decision by Apple as it means that once a scan has been undertaken, no other application can use the scanner until NeoOffice has been quit, or the scanner window re-opened and a blank part of the side bar clicked to de-select all scanners.

I have had some issues with one of my scanners not working and giving a message along the lines of "Access denied", but I think this is related to the driver as I have seen the same message when using Image Capture, and it can be worked around by clicking "Show Details".

There remains one slight cosmetic bug, but it may be Apple's. After scanning an image, the next time the scan window is opened Insert::Picture::Scan::Request…, the last used scanner is highlighted on the left side of the window, but the windows title is -None- and no details are shown in the main pane of the window. It changes to the highlighted scanner after clicking on the blank section of the left bar and then back on a scanner. (Screen shots attached).

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I saw similar problems immediately after I posted the last test patch so since then I have been working on fixing these issues. Your timing is good as I was finishing up work on the next test patch this morning.

What I found is that the Mac OS X camera and scanner views that we display behave unpredictably when the underlying device has some activity occurring. So in the following test patch I changed our code to request the device to cancel any activity that is occurring when the selected device changes or the dialog is closed.

Also, since cancellation occurs in the background and will not finish immediately for a lot of devices, selecting a device that has not finished its cancellation process will cause a spinning progress indicator to appear and our code will not display the device's view until the device has no activity or unfinished cancellation process.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the issues that you saw in the last test patch are fixed and if there is no crashing?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-13-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 3 Test 13.

That seems to have solved all the problems.

1. The scan window now opens with the last chosen scanner highlighted and the correct name in the title bar and the right pane is displayed correctly.

2. When the scanner window is closed (and the current operation, ie warm up, completed) all scanners are available to other programmes (ie Image Capture).

Thanks again Patrick.

Yours,

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject:

Oops! Spoke too soon.

One of my scanners now makes NeoOffice crash.
With the Canon scanner selected in the scanner window.
Click "Show Details"
Click "Scan"
When the scan is complete nothing happens.
The scanner window does not go away and the scanned image does not appear in NeoOffice.
Clicking the close box on the scanner window causes NeoOffice to crash - the Writer window disappears first, then the crash.

I've attached the crash log.

Secondly, (and I think this probably counts as a feature request, so feel free to ignore it) it is possible to select more than one area to scan having clicked ShowDetails, however NeoOffice only shows the first scanned area, even though the scanner can be heard to scans multiple areas.

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
The scanner window does not go away and the scanned image does not appear in NeoOffice.
Clicking the close box on the scanner window causes NeoOffice to crash - the Writer window disappears first, then the crash.

Does the crash repeatable with your steps? Or does it only occur randomly. If you can reproduce the crash, do any messages appear in the /Applications/Utilities/Console application around the time of the time?

amayze wrote:
Secondly, (and I think this probably counts as a feature request, so feel free to ignore it) it is possible to select more than one area to scan having clicked ShowDetails, however NeoOffice only shows the first scanned area, even though the scanner can be heard to scans multiple areas.

Unfortunately, the "device view" panel that you see is a Mac OS X object and is a black box for us. Our code can only create Mac OS X's standard camera or scanner view, insert it into the dialog, and wait for the Mac OS X object to send our code notifications that something (like a scan) has finished and then process the data (like a scan image) that is attached to the notification.

From what you describe, I think you are seeing Mac OS X's "overview" scan. The "show details" feature in the Mac OS X scanner device view is to do a quick scan of the first page. Only when you do a full scan by pressing the Scan button will NeoOffice get any image data to paste.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject:

Although I am not sure what is causing the latest crashing bug that you saw, I suspect that either the device view or the device object is throwing errors so I have added some error handling code that will try and catch any errors thrown by the Mac OS X device view or device object and, if there is any messages attached to the error, display the error message in an alert dialog.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if you still see crashing? Also, if the error alert dialog appears, try reopening the camera/scanner dialog and scanning to verify that whatever Mac OS X errors NeoOffice caught aren't corrupting memory:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-14-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject:

Re the crash.

I think it may have been the death throws of my scanner causing it. I heard the sounds of a capacitor blowing up the other day, but couldn't work out where it had come from. Today my Canon scanner does not work at all.

So I'm afraid I can't provide you with anymore information on the crash!

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I think it may have been the death throws of my scanner causing it. I heard the sounds of a capacitor blowing up the other day, but couldn't work out where it had come from. Today my Canon scanner does not work at all.

You may be right so I did a lot of testing with my Epson scanner by pulling out the USB cable during a scan. I didn't see any crashes, but I did see error dialogs appear and then a partial scan would be inserted in my document so I tweaked our code to cancel the scan whenever the Mac OS X device views display an error dialog.

I understand you cannot test the following test patch, but I have uploaded the test patch to the following URL so that anyone else who wants to can test out our code before we release the next official NeoOffice patch later this month:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-3-Test-15-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the various scanner fixes that were in the previous test patch in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 4. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice 3.3 patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1