NeoOffice :: View topic - Accidental zoom triggers crash
Accidental zoom triggers crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the output and the crash log. Unfortunately I still can't pinpoint the location of the crash so I have added a new set of status messages in the following debug patch.

Can you install the following debug patch and post the Terminal window output and crash log when the encounter the crash again?

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-2-Debug-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject:

A fresh crash just now. I attach screenshot and User Diagnostic Report as before.

All good wishes
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, when the crash has happened it takes two attempts to launch NeoOffice before it will start up again. (This applies whether via Terminal, or by clicking its icon in the Dock.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the output and the crash log. The interesting thing is that in your last crash log, the location of the crash moved. After seeing this change, I traced down where the crash was occurring in the last debug patch's assembler code and from that, I have a new theory as to what is causing the crash: NeoOffice's memory is getting corrupted.

With memory corruption bugs, the crash does not occur in the same location as the code that corrupts the application's memory. I suspect that the native events generated by your accidental 2-finger scrolling gesture while the Command key is pressed may be the source of the memory corruption, so in the following debug patch I now print status messages for all attributes of those native events.

Can you install the following debug patch and post the Terminal window output and crash log when the encounter the crash again? Also, can you try forcing a crash using the 2-finger scrolling gesture while pressing the Command key?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-2-Debug-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I attach the latest screenshot and User Diagnostic Log from a crash a few minutes ago. From my POV, a minor psychological benefit of chasing this bug is that I feel a moderate sense of satisfaction when it occurs - particularly as it usually involves little or no data loss. I don't suppose it seems the same to you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject:

Thank you for patiently using all of the debug patches that I have posted. This bug is a really about finding a needle in a haystack.

The good news is that your latest crash log shows a different crash location and when I put some status messages in that code, I found that I can reliable reproduce the crash when I open an empty Writer document and do 2-finger scrolling on my laptop's trackpad.

From the crashes that I experienced, it looks like the bug is caused by an internal event's memory is being released twice. I will try to track down what code is doing such a duplicate release and, once I find it, I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject:

Well thank you for providing the code 'magnets' to track down the general location of the needle, and now doing the fingertip search to find it. Good luck!

If more debug patches will help, I'm happy to try them.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject:

I think that I have finally fixed this crashing bug. I now believe that the double deletion of event objects was occurring due to more than one thread decrementing the reference count of an event object at the same time. This resulted in the object's reference count being incorrect and that, in turn, triggered the double deletion.

Can you install the following test patch and see if you can you get NeoOffice to crash using the 2-finger scrolling gesture with or without pressing the Command key?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject:

That was very swift work!

I have installed the patch and will report back. I have never found it straightforward to deliberately provoke the crash (I just tried again before installing the new patch), but it seems to have been happening every couple of days or so. As it is now the weekend here, it may be a little while before I am giving it the kind of usage which seems to have caused the crash in the past.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I have installed the patch and will report back. I have never found it straightforward to deliberately provoke the crash (I just tried again before installing the new patch), but it seems to have been happening every couple of days or so. As it is now the weekend here, it may be a little while before I am giving it the kind of usage which seems to have caused the crash in the past.

OK. Let's see if you make it through next week without any crashes. If there are no crashes for at least a week, then I can put the fix into an official NeoOffice patch.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Regrettably, I have experienced another crash Sad , even with the new patch.

I attach a screenshot (having launched via terminal, though I wasn't sure that that was necessary) together with a User Diagnostic Log.

All good wishes

james

PS On the first attempt to relaunch the NO icon appeared in the dock, bounced once and then disappeared. The second time it launched normally into the document recovery dialog.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Your latest crash log looks different than the previous one so I have a question: did the crash occur while immediately after you were doinging 2-finger scrolling on your trackpad (with or without pressing the Command key)?

Also, the Terminal output indicates that you opened and/or saved a .docx file. Are you able to more easily reproduce this crashing with that .docx file? I ask because maybe it is the .docx file that is a necessary item to trigger the crashing.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject:

The .docx file had been closed some 3-4 hours prior to the crash (and didn't show up in the recovery dialog). I had been working on two .xls spreadsheets which I had left open with the laptop left on. There had been a gap, then I had come back to my work, then a further gap of 60-60 minutes, and the crash happened when I returned to my work again. Both this crash and its immediate predecessor happened IIRC when I was working on these spreadsheets. Normally I have been working on .odt documents when the crash happened - I don't use spreadsheets a lot. I'm sorry I can't say whether I was doing the two finger scrolling gesture. I think if I did it at all it was an unconscious behaviour. I'm still trying to unlearn having my hand with index finger on the trackpad and thumb on the button, so there is a bit of a tendency for my thumb to trail while my index finger is using the trackpad. I'm sorry this is not very helpful. I will try to pay attention to that.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject:

I think that your latest crash is a different bug than the one I fixed two days ago so I have been rereading your crash log trying to see if there are any clues as to what might be triggering your latest crash.

From that, I have the following questions:

- Did you have the iMedia Browser window open? If so, do you remember which tab (Audio, Movies, etc.) you had selected? Also, were you playing an audio or movie?

- Java was running so do you have any extensions installed? Or were you only using a Base database?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject:

You can ignore my last post as I think that I have found a better way to find where in the code the latest crash is occurring: run NeoOffice from a Terminal window like before but change the command that is executed to the following:

Code:
export NSZombieEnabled=YES ; /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

Note: the command should be one single line. What this does is turn on the NSZombieEnabled environment variable so that when the same crash happens, the name of the object that is causing the crash is printed to the Terminal window.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6