Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Work with multiple windows in Write
Work with multiple windows in Write

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Work with multiple windows in Write

I often work with several Write documents opened simultaneously. I don't like bothering minimising them. And I find quite clumsy going always through Window menu or dock if minimised I wander if there is a shortcut to bring forward other documents that I have opened with NeoOffice? I think in MS Word on PC it is e.g. shift F8 or something like that. I wander if anybody can help me out. Sorry if that is too primitive a question
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Multiple documents and shortcuts

It seems nobody has answer to my question, so I assume there is no answer. I just was wandering - is there a way how one can modify shortcuts. I was working previously with MS Office and there assigning new shortcut combinations was very simple. Maybe there is such system also in NeoOffice/J?
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Usually ⌘-` cycles through open windows of an active application. Just don't confuse it with ⌘-tab which switches between open applications Smile

Did that help at all?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I meant to reply the other day. I went digging through the help, to no avail. It seems the Sun programmers inserted a million different keyboard shortcuts to do all sorts of things, a number for accessibility purposes, many others just to access some strange function, but there seemed to be nothing at all about switching windows.

If sjolit's cmd-` suggestion doesn't work, this is definitely an OOo bug to file! http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:

sjolit wrote:
Usually ?-` cycles through open windows of an active application. Just don't confuse it with ?-tab which switches between open applications Smile

Did that help at all?

Thanks. That indeed works. I just needed time to locate the button - have hardly ever used it Smile I also discovered that F10 does a funny thing for open windows of one program and F9 the same for all open program windows (the Expose). So in fact there are two ways to solve my problem: one is what sjolit suggested and another is F10 in combination with mouse. The latter one also works nicely for opening internet windows (but works better for left-handed persons Wink

Having said that, just found out that it is all manageable in Expose manager of Panther. Thanks for hinting me to this solution
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Oh, yeah, forgot about the Expose option with F10. Personally I don't ever use it as cmd-tilda is a faster way of cycling through the windows, especially when I'm using the keyboard for typing to begin with. Besides, to get a default behavior of function keys on my powerbook takes an additional key in the sequence...

Whatever works for you, I'm just glad I could answer Cool
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
It seems the Sun programmers inserted a million different keyboard shortcuts to do all sorts of things, a number for accessibility purposes, many others just to access some strange function, but there seemed to be nothing at all about switching windows.
Smokey

I just found a way how one can modify shortcuts - go to Tools>Configure. There is a possibility to assign a new function to a shortcut. It's quite clumsy though. First one has to choose a shortcut from a limited list and then find the function you want to assign to this shortcut. But it is not that easy to find the function you need. I wanted to get a shortcut for properties (I need to count words often) but could not find that function since there is no 'File' section under the function list. And yes - I think that here it is possible to assign new functions to standart shortcuts, for example cmd+w
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:

That configure UI is definitely complicated and many times the built-in function list for Configure can be limited. One thing that you can do though is assign macros to shortcuts and menu items. Granted it's a bit of a "no help" kind of answer, but if you can find someone who can figure out the macro language you may be able to figure out workarounds for some of these missing functions.

The Finder-style way of doing toolbars by dragging elements in is pretty cool. Unfortunately that method really breaks down if your application has insane toolbar bloat (like OOo).

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject:

bezvardis wrote:
I wanted to get a shortcut for properties (I need to count words often) but could not find that function since there is no 'File' section under the function list.

The Configuration panel is counter-intuitive because often whoever it was who named the functions chose different names from what appears in the menus (for example, the menu item Configure opens a panel called Configuration!).

In this case, for the equivalent of the menu item File->Properties you need to choose Documents->Document Properties in the Configuration panel's Category & Function sections.

- yoxi
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1