Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to open neooffice document on a PC
How to open neooffice document on a PC

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernie
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: How to open neooffice document on a PC

Just downloaded Neoofficej a few days ago. I have a Mac at home but a PC at work, and need to convert documents both ways. I tried to save a Neo document in word, it seemed to work, but when I tried to open it on my PC, it was just giberish Sad

What am I doing wrong?

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

which type of word conversion did you use? Neo/J uses OO.o's conversions, which are known for being better than Word's...

I do exactly what you are trying at work, so it can be done.

were there lots of pics? or macros?

something else to try, save the file as an RTF (or even TXT) that should work no matter what.

-j
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject:

you can also install openoffice on your pc machine, so you have not any problem at all.

f.
bernie
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the answers. Installing Neooffice at work is not a solution cause I need to send documents to other PC users.

The document was a simple one page table. I have no idea what type of conversion I used...I just did saves as...word document... I'll try as an RTF, and let you know..

Cheers

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:

A couple of other thoughts:

1-Make sure you choose the most current (or matching, if your MSWD versions are older) Word format from the Neo/J save box. There are three supported by the Neo/J (OOo) conversions, 97/2000/XP, 95, and Word 6. These are all incompatible with each other (well, newer versions of Word should be able to read the older files, but not vice versa). I personally have only used the 97/2000/XP conversion...so if you did choose 95 or Word 6, perhaps those filters don't work as well?

2-If you email the file, make sure your mail client is configured to "encode" the file correctly--and that the recipient's mail client can handle the format. Particularly, many Mac mail clients default to encoding files in BinHex and many PC mail clients can't decode BinHex-encoded attachments, leading to files that appear to be garbage. "AppleDouble" or "Basic MIME" are (the same) good choices.

Sorry if I'm just repeating what you already know. This is an unusual situation, as 99.9% of the time it "just works."

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject:

I tried the RTF, it doesn't work either. The pc at work is XP...So I don't know what's wrong....but I am really not a computer pro!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:

can you work with the table with neooffice/opneoffice and give the final work in pdf?

f.
bernie
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:

I tried again saving teh document in RTF, and it did work this time...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1