Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - word completion vs 2-keys letters (clear enough ?)
word completion vs 2-keys letters (clear enough ?)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yvesde
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: word completion vs 2-keys letters (clear enough ?)

Hi

I am using 1.1 with Aqua patch and I speak French.
And writing many words such as "maître" that requires striking two keys: "^" and then "i" will come out as "mattre" instead if word completion is activated.

and thanks for this awsome "alpha" app

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject:

Tu as posté un rapport de bug sur ce sujet ?

Ludovic Bellon.

(In english : is there a bug report on this topic since the problem is still alive in latest versions ?)
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject:

patrick will correct me if i am wrong, but unfortnuatly this sounds more of an openoffice.org issue than a neooffice one. meaning that it is in the underlying openoffice code itself, not with the mac specific code. best place to report this would be on openoffice.org, and hopefully it will be corrected in later versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject:

I don't think this is an OOo bug since 2 keys letters work fine in OOo 1.1.2 for X11...

Note that to reproduce the bug the dictionary must know the word for auto-completion to learn it the first time you type it, and the problem will rise on the second typing.

For example, typing 't' 'e' 'm' 'p' '^' 'e' 't' 'e' twice will output :
Tempête temptete

Same thing with 'p' 'a' 'r' 'a' 'n' 'o' '¨' 'i' 'a' : Paranoïa paranoaa
or 'a' 'p' 'r' '`' 'e' 's' : Après aprss

But if I use a single key in the last example to type 'è' (key present on french keyboards), I don't get any trouble.

Ludovic B.

By the way :
Thanks to the developers for the huge job of porting OOo to Mac !
Merci et Bravo Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:

NeoJ doesn't actually do anything special with word completion; that code is taken untouched from OOo. The only thing that comes to the top of my head may be that it could very well be a default text encoding issue, but in a way it may be a fluke that it works in X11. I had to hack the 112GM X11 OOo due to the need for 10.2 compatibility. Some foreign languages work while others do not (e.g. Japanese).

ed
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject:

It seems that this issue resurfaced with 1.1 beta patch 6. I did not see it at all with patch 5.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Or are you seeing bug 449 in "Patch-6"?

Patrick
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Actually, it looks more like bug 485. Was there ever a report entered for the bug described in this thread? If so, what bug # is it? I tried your patch 6.1 but the issue is still there. Like I said, this issue wasn't present anymore in patch 5. I also deleted the library/neooffice*** directory with no result.
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:

OK, so I went to all the trouble of trashing NeoOfficeJ from my system completely and reinstalling it while aplying patch 5 only, and like I said, this bug is not present in patch 5 (which is the only patch that fixed it by the way). Patrick, could you take a look at this problem and try to fix it since it is the only thing "bugging" Laughing me right now. Thank you and keep up the good work!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I spent all of yesterday and a good portion of today looking at it. I posted some comments in bug 200 but here is a brief summary of what I found.

"Patch-5" was the only patch that word completion worked with accented characters. At first this seemed odd so kept rebuilding with each change that I made after "Patch-5" and found that the reason "Patch-5" worked is that text input via input methods (e.g. Asian languages and accented characters) was broken. In "Patch-5", I accidently created a bug that set the cursor to the beginning when an input method string was committed. Surprisingly, this works in most cases but it caused serious bugs in many places. Specifically, this behavior caused input method strings to be duplicated or the cursor to keep inputting on the left end of a paragraph.

After working on this over the last days, I have concluded that the OOo word completion works by hijacking OOo's input method string handling code. So, when real input method strings are input, the OOo Writer code gets confused.

Why doesn't this show up Windows or Linux? The reason is that those platforms don't display intermediate characters when inputting accented characters like Mac does. In X11, if you type the Compose key and then a character, only the final character is displayed and only a single key pressed event is received. In contrast, on a Mac pressing the Alt key and another character generates two input method events and no key pressed events.

I have not closed bug 200 as I would still like to fix it as it is a very, very annoying bug. But you will have to be patient as the problem is in the OOo Writer which, for me, is vast uncharted territory.

Patrick
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Thank you very much for looking into it. I am very greatful of the time you spent looking at this issue already. Meanwhile, I will just be using "patch-5" until I hear again from you or until I read in the bugfix list of a newer patch that you adressed this problem. Once again, thank you for your time and efforts.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I am actually investigating this problem right now as well. For me Writer is not uncharted territory as I fixed the original sw crashes on OS X Smile Unfortunately, I've been grappling with the Mac OS X debugging tools to just get enough symbols to go through the file.

I think I've narrowed down the file where the bug exists, but it's so complicated that it's very difficult to follow the path of execution without a debugger. Sadly...the OS X debugging tools are for some reason unable to debug this file Sad

Patrick found out some info which definitely seems to point to something originating in this file, but beyond that it's all hideous debugging.

Stay tuned.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1