Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - What is NeoLight?
What is NeoLight?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: What is NeoLight?

Now that Tiger has been released, NeoLight can see the light of day. It's a shorthand I came up with for "NeoOffice Spotlight Metadata Importer" which, unfortunately, is a mouthful to say, not to mention type! NeoLight is a Spotlight metadata importer for Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" that can extract text content and metadata out of OpenOffice.org 1.x and NeoOffice/J formatted files. Hopefully this can ease the pain of searching through these files which, due to their compressed archive nature, elude standard text based tools like grep.

More information about the source code structure, how to get code, how to get the plugin to test, are in the wiki page:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoLight

(the content is backed up locally in case it gets defaced before it gets locked)

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Well, Oscar says I'm OCD about the wiki, but I fixed your docs so the URLs in the .plist are't goofily wikified Smile I swear, I was just taking my daily look at things when you posted the documentation Smile

This is an exciting development, and I'm looking forward to playing with it once I finally upgrade to 10.4....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for fixing those. The ones in the Info.plist section on the Wiki are actually "fake"...that whole block is supposed to be like a "pre" style tag, but I think the wiki was trying to be smart and turned them into links anyway. I just punted and figured folks would get the picture and tried to focus more on writing content Wink

That whole section gets pasted into the root dictionary of the Info.plist verbatim so it looks like the sample one I linked to in the article.

ed

ps : edited this since the forums also got confused with the htmlish markup too...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
This is an exciting development, and I'm looking forward to playing with it once I finally upgrade to 10.4....

For anyone who's interested in playing with it, be aware that you really should have the Developer's Tools installed. That will give you the tools needed to manually debug indexing on certain types of files.

I already saw one thing I should probably add...the various template "st*" extensions so templates can also get appropriate UTI types.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Thanks for fixing those. The ones in the Info.plist section on the Wiki are actually "fake"...that whole block is supposed to be like a "pre" style tag, but I think the wiki was trying to be smart and turned them into links anyway.

One of the things I like about MediaWiki is that you can use a fair amout of simple html (like <pre>) to provide additional formatting. There are still some issues, but by and large this has worked to our advantage.

It seems in your case the wiki actually "inferred" the <pre> from what you pasted, so it still created links. With real <pre> tags in there, it doesn't linkify, which is a cleaner solution than the <nowiki> tags.

OPENSTEP wrote:
I just punted and figured folks would get the picture and tried to focus more on writing content Wink

Yeah Smile And those of us who can't program and can't deduce docs from your mind can clean up the formatting Smile

It's a very cool addition to the wiki--developer documentation! We're a "real" open-source project now (actually, there's old build instructions for Neo/C from schlesi, but...).

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

It was a bit easier to document this because it's so small. I figured that perhaps just because it's so small, though, it might be something some new devs. could jump into and digest...or perhaps add wordperfect support...or perhaps add custom metadata for the custom user types...check for memory leaks...

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is NeoLight?

OPENSTEP wrote:
Now that Tiger has been released, NeoLight can see the light of day.

Sweet!

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I figured that perhaps just because it's so small, though, it might be something some new devs. could jump into and digest...or perhaps add wordperfect support...or perhaps add custom metadata for the custom user types...check for memory leaks...

You might think about posting an announcement to dev@porting; I've noticed (when I pop in on the list) the appearance there over the past few weeks/months of a handful of folks who'd like to help with Mac OOo but whose experience seemed to be more in the realm of "Mac/Mac OS X" than "UNIX" and who seem to disappear after learning everything in dev@porting is all getting a UNIX app to build....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
You might think about posting an announcement to dev@porting

I figured it wasn't terribly meaningful for porting and had thought that most folks interested in helping would find their way here eventually. In retrospect, it might have been better to let someone else tackle the Spotlight importer since it's easily digestible. I wanted to get it out there as a "thank you" to the folks who got me into WWDC last year to learn how to do 10.4 programming Wink

ed
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Some little issues

Ed,

thank you for writing NeoLight. It's great to get Spotlight-Support for NeoOffice/J.

I've found some issues in the Wiki, that I've changed:

- The path to lsregister on macosxhints seems to be outdated. I've put the correct path in the Wiki.
- mdimport is at /usr/bin.
- neolight.dimporter didn't work for me at /Library/MDImporters. I've moved it to /Library/Spotlight, and it worked there.

I'm not sure, if this issues have to do with the history of installed builds of "Tiger". May be you have other paths because you've used earlier developer builds, an I've updated from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0 (8A428)?

Then I've found two problems witch NeoLight itself:

- Special characters, like ä,ö,ü,ß aren't indexed correctly
- Spaces in the path to the files to index are problematic (e. g. /Volumes/Geheime Dokumente/test.sxw)

Thomas
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Some little issues

schlesi wrote:
- mdimport is at /usr/bin.
- neolight.dimporter didn't work for me at /Library/MDImporters. I've moved it to /Library/Spotlight, and it worked there.

These are definitely due to earlier Tiger builds. I didn't know the directory names changed. Surprisingly that's the only thing that changed in a year Smile I'll rebuild the package with the new install location and refresh it and commit the change to the packagemaker file.

We should fire off a message to Dan to see if I can get neolight added as a project so we can track these issues in IZ.

Sad that the special chars aren't working...I thought UTF8 would cover them, but apparently it doesn't and I have no clue.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject:

OK, I just replaced the installer with a new one. Can you give it a try to see if it installs into the correct location? I assembled it on a Panther system but don't think that should affect things.

http://trinity.neooffice.org/downloads/neolight_installer.pkg.tgz

MD5Sum : 57770ec8a0a8ee9ba6e88bb211b93632

This one should install the importer into: /Library/Spotlight

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
sardisson wrote:
You might think about posting an announcement to dev@porting

I figured it wasn't terribly meaningful for porting and had thought that most folks interested in helping would find their way here eventually.

Perhaps that's so; I didn't recognize any names, but we all often have different screen names in different places. OTOH, I did notice in today's perusal of dev@porting that one of the "more-Macish" guys had downloaded NeoLight. I'm not sure if Shoshannah Forbes picked it up from there or if she subscribes to the trinity RSS feed, but it's featured on her blog.

Speaking of which, when/if you'd like to get NeoLight on VersionTracker/MacUpdate/Freshmeat or any of the other listing sites that the NeoOffice Community Relations Team maintains for Neo/J, just let me know Smile

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:

My hope is that it doesn't get separated. All I want to do is to get it stable enough that I can hopefully convince Patrick do dump it right into the Neo/J 1.1 final installer. Judging from the things found I still have some way to go.

If it does, I'll probably still maintain a separate installer so OOo people can install it without requiring all of Neo/J to come along for the ride. There are some of us who still like X11 Wink

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
My hope is that it doesn't get separated. All I want to do is to get it stable enough that I can hopefully convince Patrick do dump it right into the Neo/J 1.1 final installer. Judging from the things found I still have some way to go.

This would be very cool!. I'm thinking that, if you fuss up the postinstall installer script and the Info.plist, we could push it out in a patch before Neo/J 1.1 final to test the installation stuff.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2