NeoOffice :: View topic - Java Shared Archive
Java Shared Archive

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Java Shared Archive

reading here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301380

I see using 10.3.9 "Java no longer has a Java Shared Archive (hence the optional steps above). Users that run a large number of Java applications simultaneously will see an increase in memory pressure (usually 3Mb per application), because there is no Java Shared Archive."

Do this afflict neooffice and virtual memory usage?

f.
Glenn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Fabrizio:

If you upgrade to 10.3.9 you MAY get the Java Shared Archive corruption issue.

If you then also run the Java update for 10.3.9, only then is the Java Shared Archive cleared.

(I find it odd that the update didn't do a restore after the clear, but I digress).

The instructions in the note tell you how to restore the Java Shared Archive manually, for Java 1.4.x and Java 1.3.1 (neoj uses 1.3.1).

This will only have an effect if you're running more than one Java application at once. Basically, you're instructing the OS X java runtime to share some pieces of Java that are common to all Java applications.

The savings isn't that large, as you say, plus the savings only kick in with the second and onwards Java program running at the same time. Losing the archive might slightly increase program load time, since the archive avoids some repeated processing by Java - I suggest a test.

Patrick:

You were wondering how to nuke the Java Shared Archive - its java -Xdump. See Apple's java-dev for more info (google indexes this). You don't have to reboot, either. Interesting that -Xdump isn't documented, neither in the man page nor in java -X...

Glenn
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

No, I still have 10.3.8, but I wasking to myself if this different way to use java shared archive could slow down or speed up neooffice/j

f.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1