Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem with styles
Problem with styles

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathalieT

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Problem with styles

I apologize to post the following texte in French, but my english is too bad …
Il arrive parfois que je ne parvienne pas à appliquer un style dans son intégralité (je l'ai constaté seulement sur les styles de paragraphes pour le moment) ; par exemple, mon style "titre1" est gras-italique-corps 13-espace avant 0,20 cm, et si je l'applique à un texte préexistant en corps 15 (double clic sur le style "titre1" défini dans le styliste), il me garde le corps 15 au lieu d'appliquer le corps 13 ; existe-t-il une possibilité de "forcer" à appliquer le style tel quel ?
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject:

I answer you in italian 'cause my french is so bad:
neooffice ha sia gli stili carattere che gli stili paragrafo, e in entrambi i casi lo stile modifica il carattere a seconda delle scelte da te fatte... se puoi spedirmi il file posso vedere il perché ci sia questo strano funzionamento.
NathalieT

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject:

I send your message to someone who's able to translate it… and come back (probably tomorrow…) !
molte grazie (is it correct ?)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with styles

Translation
NathalieT wrote:
Il arrive parfois que je ne parvienne pas à appliquer un style dans son intégralité (je l'ai constaté seulement sur les styles de paragraphes pour le moment) ; par exemple, mon style "titre1" est gras-italique-corps 13-espace avant 0,20 cm, et si je l'applique à un texte préexistant en corps 15 (double clic sur le style "titre1" défini dans le styliste), il me garde le corps 15 au lieu d'appliquer le corps 13 ; existe-t-il une possibilité de "forcer" à appliquer le style tel quel ?

Sometimes, it happens that I cannot apply a style entirely :
for example, my style "titre1" is bold italic 13pt space before 0.2cm
If I apply it to an existing document with 15pt text by double clicking "titre1" in the stylist, the text remains 15pt instead of becoming 13pt.

Is there a way to force applying a style to avoid this problem?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with styles

Anonymous wrote:
Translation
Sometimes, it happens that I cannot apply a style entirely :
for example, my style "titre1" is bold italic 13pt space before 0.2cm
If I apply it to an existing document with 15pt text by double clicking "titre1" in the stylist, the text remains 15pt instead of becoming 13pt.

Is there a way to force applying a style to avoid this problem?

Thanks. Actually, this means there is still a loose font size code in the document, probably left over from some conversion. Select the text and choose 'Standard' from the layout menu. That will clear out everything but the style code.

I usually have this problem with headings that have been formatted in another word processor.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Pour la traduction des texts étrangers, n'oubliez pas la Babelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com

For translations of foreign texts, don't forget Babelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com

(quite appropriate, given the movie out now....)

I know enough workable French to know that it did a pretty good job with Nathatlie's question, filling in some of the bits I didn't understand Smile If only I knew something about styles....

Smokey

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with styles

ovvldc wrote:
Select the text and choose 'Standard' from the layout menu. That will clear out everything but the style code.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Thanks for your answer. I actually tested this handling, but the text keeps its setting forms some (for example, the bold remains as well as the 18 pt)... I do not manage to solve this problem!

Could it be a bug ?

Thanks again.

Nathalie

P. S. : Thanks also, Sardisson, for the address !
tlmurray
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: This happens even on a new document

This is not necessarily a problem with a conversion, as it happens to me on a completely new document. For examle:
1) Assign a style to a pargraph.
2) Do some manual overrides.
3) Reassign the style. Problem: Some overrides remain.

NeoOffice needs ... or maybe it has it and I don't know where it is ... a "reset" at the paragraph level. (I know about the one for characters at Format > Default.)

In Word, for example, you can place your I-beam in a paragraph and press Ctrl+q, and it resets the paragraph to the default specifications as called for by the assigned style. You can select an entire document, press Ctrl+q, and the whole doc is reset to its default style states.

NeoOffice needs the same thing, as well as the ability to completely override whatever is there with the new style. Presently, I cannot assign a style to a paragraph and feel comfortable that it's really as called for by the definition.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject:

I've seen this behaviour but didn't ever research its cause. However, searching NeoOffice/J help menu, I came up with this:

Resetting Font Attributes

You can quickly exit manual formatting by pressing the right-arrow key. For example, if you are pressed Ctrl+B to apply the bold typeface to the text that you type, press the right arrow to return to the default character format of the paragraph.
To reset all direct formatting of existing text, select that text, then choose the menu command Format - Default.

<ends>

So it appears that you would have to _select_ (highlight) all the text of your paragraph (as opposed to the usual requirement to just locate the cursor somewhere in the paragraph) in order to apply this return to 'default character format of the paragraph'. Presumably this does not mean the default paragraph style but, as it says, will apply the base character settings which apply to that particular paragraph style.

Can you try the steps outlined above on your document and report back here whether it works for you or not? Thanks.

Nathalie T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks Rays. I used the menu command Format - Default, and it's easier than formatting each character setting one by one.

But I would like to have a menu command like Word "erase the format"…
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject:

Nathalie T wrote:
But I would like to have a menu command like Word "erase the format"…

Since this a feature of the underlying OpenOffice program (and not provided as part of the NeoOffice/J code), you should request this feature in the relevant user forums at openoffice.org

You may find that it is already foreseen in a future version of OpenOffice, in which case you'll just have to be patient until they deliver....

Thanks for the feedback.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1