· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - EndNote
EndNote

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: EndNote

Hi!

Currently we are using Office X for Mac. As a research institution, our users rely heavily on the integration of EndNote with Word.

Is there any chance of the implementation of a similar integration for NeoOffice or would this have to be done by the EndNote-team?

kind regards, Ann
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject:

I don't know enough about the workings of either EndNote or the OOo code (on which Neo/J is based) to say where the changes need to be made. There's an issue open about this in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker. It's probably best to bug both the EndNote folks and OpenOffice.org (the scope of the NeoOffice/J project is limited by resources to making OpenOffice.org work like a normal Mac app rather than changing core features).

There have been some older posts here about using EndNote; if you search you should find some tips (IIRC, EndNote with Neo/J works like EndNote with any other non-MS Word Mac app). There's also a thread on the general oooforum about EndNote, with links to some alternative apps that do work with OOo (and thus should work with NeoOffice/J as well).

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: EndNote

Thanks for the tips. I did search for EndNote in the forums here, but there were only 2 hits for posts, that didn't say much about what I had to ask.

I will check on the OpenOffice site. It's also a good idea to at least write and email to the EndNote folks. The more customers that voice their interest/need, the more likely they will consider integration with OO.

Ann
bbjonz
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EndNote

This has likely been addressed elsewhere, but one can use EN with NJ, but probably not in the way to which you are accustomed. You can't use CWYW, but you can use the RTF option. First, you simply copy the reference in question from EN over to your document. What you should see is the reference information contained inside curly brackets {}. You can edit that information to exclude the author or year, as well as to pre- or post-append text to the citation. Once you've got your citation information in the document, you need to save the document as a RTF file, then tell EN to scan that file and build the citations. See the EN manual for more.

It's not as slick as CWYW but eventually someone will build that for Oo. BTW, I'm going to migrate over RefWorks because it's web-based and works with NJ in just about the same was as does EN.

Joe

Ann wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I did search for EndNote in the forums here, but there were only 2 hits for posts, that didn't say much about what I had to ask.

I will check on the OpenOffice site. It's also a good idea to at least write and email to the EndNote folks. The more customers that voice their interest/need, the more likely they will consider integration with OO.

Ann
Denise

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: EndNote 7 doesn't recognize NeoOffice .rtf

Thanks for all the tips about this.

I've tried creating a doc and saving it as .rtf; then using the RTF scan in EndNote. But my version of EndNote (7) won't recognize an .rtf file created by NeoOffice (v1.2 Alpha). It will recognize and scan .rtf from Word and TextEdit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks ....
Denise
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I've just tested this... the .rtf files created by NeoOffice/J 1.1 patch 3 with Java 1.4.2 and NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha patch 1 are not recognised as readable by EndNote 7. However, those created with OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 in X11 are! Unless this is a bug introduced in the OpenOffice.org 1.1.4/1.1.5 codebase, this appears to be a NeoOffice(/J) problem. I don't have the time to check for or enter a bugzilla issue at the moment but will do so tomorrow if it hasn't already been done.

Denise, as a workaround for now, you can open the .rtf in TextEdit and re-save it. It will then be recognised in EN 7.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
I've just tested this... the .rtf files created by NeoOffice/J 1.1 patch 3 with Java 1.4.2 and NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha patch 1 are not recognised as readable by EndNote 7. However, those created with OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 in X11 are! Unless this is a bug introduced in the OpenOffice.org 1.1.4/1.1.5 codebase, this appears to be a NeoOffice(/J) problem. I don't have the time to check for or enter a bugzilla issue at the moment but will do so tomorrow if it hasn't already been done..

Actually, it is the reverse. An OOo 1.1.x bug causes OOo to only export RTF with Windows character encodings. In contrast, Neo will export valid Apple RTF character encodings. Without these Apple RTF character encodings, you would not be able to copy and paste RTF to and from Neo and other native Mac applications.

My guess is that EndNote can only understand Window character encodings.

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

the issue with EndNote is that it won't actually let you select the NeoOffice(/J) created .rtf files in the file picker for the scanning:

Note the EndNote test no.rtf and EndNote test noj.rtf files compared to the EndNote test ooo.rtf, EndNote test TE.rtf and EndNote test Word2004.rtf (generated in OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 in X11, TextEdit and Word 2004 respectively). Does the difference in line endings explain this inability to even choose the files in the file picker, and if so, why is it that TextEdit and Word 2004 created .rtfs are selectable? (Do they have Windows line endings already??)

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
Fredrik Stendahl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject:

Hi all.

Not using EndNote my self, but this hit me. As EndNote has been on the Mac for a long time, and the Mac did not use to have file endings - maybe that EndNote uses the four letter application creator code and four letter document type code (that was the way application-file association was traditionally done on mac) to detect if a file is in the 'right' to recognise? Have you tried to change the default application for the Neo(J) documents to Word or TextEdit. If EndNote now recognises the documents, EN uses some other way than file extensions to recognise documents.

Just a guess. Hope it helps.

Fredrik
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:

I bet Fredrik is correct (and this is partially an EndNote bug, since they should filter their selectable files list by the superset of all files with type "RTF " or all files with extension ".rtf") and this is running awry of Neo's setting the type code instead of the creator code when it saves files.

Basically this is the same issue as the French gentleman who needed to exchange files with MS Word on Mac OS 9 back in June; EndNote either wants a file with an extension and no type code (a TextEdit or OOo RTF) or a file with a recognizable creator and "RTF " type, or perhaps some third alternative that Neo still doesn't fulfill (type "RTF " and the ".rtf" extension, no creator, perhaps?)

I can modify my droplet/folder action script to set RTF files' type codes properly, which should fix this (provided people tell me if EndNote accepts files with type "RTF " and creator "NO%F" or type "RTF " and no creator ("????"), either of which, for classic compatibility, is prefereable to ???? ???? that Apple uses).

Patrick, remind me again why you're setting the type code to NO%F instead of setting the creator code to NO%F (I know you can't set variable type codes because the OOo code doesn't let you know what type of file you're going to be saving...).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Patrick, remind me again why you're setting the type code to NO%F instead of setting the creator code to NO%F (I know you can't set variable type codes because the OOo code doesn't let you know what type of file you're going to be saving...).

Because "NO%F" is the creator. There is no NeoOffice file format, there is only a NeoOffice application and "NO%F" is the code that I registered for NeoOffice with Apple over two years ago.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Because "NO%F" is the creator. There is no NeoOffice file format, there is only a NeoOffice application and "NO%F" is the code that I registered for NeoOffice with Apple over two years ago.

Right, but why are you setting the type code on saved files instead of setting the creator code? Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Right, but why are you setting the type code on saved files instead of setting the creator code? Smile

Oh yeah, I forgot about that hack. I do this because the Mac OS X Finder seems to only use the type code (and ignores the creator code) if it cannot determine the application to launch from the document extension.

Patrick
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:

Not familiar with all the benefits of EndNote but for work with references you can also try the bibliography database built in NeoOffice. It is a bit clumsy though, but can automate some of things (like inserting references and then automatically build list of references) If anybody is interested, I can put together my experience with using the database
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:

bezvardis wrote:
Not familiar with all the benefits of EndNote but for work with references you can also try the bibliography database built in NeoOffice. It is a bit clumsy though, but can automate some of things (like inserting references and then automatically build list of references) If anybody is interested, I can put together my experience with using the database

Please! And feel free to put it directly into the Wiki.

Thanks,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2