Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Copy formatting?
Copy formatting?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Copy formatting?

Sorry if this has already been talked about,

but I could not find a way to copy the formatting of one piece of text to another. In Wörd, there is this little brush you can use.

Does this function exist in NeoOffice?

Thanks

Anna
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: not obvious

There is but it's not obvious: You must use the "Paste special" item of the edit menu and then check what you want to paste from the offered set (text-format-formula...)

Max

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Copy Formatting

You might try PincOOo.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooomacros/

Apparently it works for some people.
I cannot get it to work.

Al
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: not obvious

Max_Barel wrote:
There is but it's not obvious: You must use the "Paste special" item of the edit menu and then check what you want to paste from the offered set (text-format-formula...)

Well... After checking it, I must admit that I can't find the dialog box I remembered, the one under "Paste special" being not what I though it was.
Did I mixed up with an other software or did this function slipped out in the OOo evolution process?

Sorry,

Max
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: not obvious

Max_Barel wrote:
Well... After checking it, I must admit that I can't find the dialog box I remembered, the one under "Paste special" being not what I though it was.
Did I mixed up with an other software or did this function slipped out in the OOo evolution process?

Max, I thought I remembered the same thing, but I couldn't find it in 0.8.4, either. I don't use "other" software enough that I think I would confuse it, but perhaps I do Sad

The OOo/Neo way to do this would be to set up and apply styles (well, that's they way it should work in "other" software, too, but they seem to encourage bad practices rather than good ones Smile)

Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Copy Formatting - PincOOo

Max, Smokey

Would you please try PincOOo?

If it works for you, then I need to find out why it does not work for me.

Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject:

After your previous post mentioning PincOOo I dlded and installed it.
It didn't show its icon in the toolbar.
There are plenty of new functions to insert in toolbar from the BASIC->APICnet submenu
I didn't investigate further as I have no OOo-macro skill (yet?).

This is not a true need for me since I'm satisfied with the character-style paradigm.

not very helpfull...
Max

Edit: My bet is that the macro try to write in some directory in the NeoOffice/J.app subtree (I ran fs_usage), which is owned by root and read only.
I tried to set up the default macro path to the NeoJ preference path but it does not work either.
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:

Neo wants you to do this via the stylist:-

Select a paragraph with the format you want.
Open the stylist (toolbar or menu Format/stylist)
Click the 'new style from selection' button (middle button of the three on the right of the stylist window)
Name your new style
Click the 'fill format' button (paint can)
Double-click (or click and drag within) the text you want to apply formatting to. The document will scroll to follow your cursor as you go through picking places to apply the new format.
When done, click the paint can again to go back to normal editing.

Great if you only have a few different styles, lots of paragraphs in each, not so good if you have lots of slightly different variations on a theme.

[This is in the help, under "formats; copying and pasting". Note formats not format, or the help system doesn't find it. Mad

Luke
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I could not get the installation of PincOOo to even complete under Neo/J or OOo 1.1.2 (never saw the "Installation complete" message and uninstall claimed it never was installed). I assume this was written by a Windows user and, like Max said, is attempting to write to a directory that is owned by root/write-protected on UNIXes like Mac OS X...

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:

The stylist does not want to do what I want it to do. Sad

Maybe the problem is that I don't have a complete paragraph formatted the way I need but only several letters (not even a complete word)?

I do not want to use PincOOo - in my opinion, pasting formats is an important issue for a fully equipped writing programme, just as printing is.

Thanks for your help
Anna
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: character style

Anna wrote:
Maybe the problem is that I don't have a complete paragraph formatted the way I need but only several letters (not even a complete word)?

Anna,
I'm not sure you'll ever read this... anyway:

You want to use character style in the Stylist. That does exactly what you want. Create a style from the current selection (even single char), then apply it somewhere else.

The problem with big apps is to find the way the programmer decided to implement a feature. You can't expect him to do it the way you wish, at all time.

Max
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Max
A long time ago (probably last year) I ran PincOOo on an X11 version of OOo.
It worked well, having placed two icons on the function bar.
It certainly was handy.

Now that I am using a later version of OOo for X11 and NeoOfficeJ beta, I cannot get PincOOo to run. I have been unable to get help with it so far.

I did try sending email to contact@apicnet.net - no answer so far.

Quote:
I cannot get PincOOo to install.
PincOOo installer? Non!

Visitez http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6243#6243

Mac OS X 10.3.7
X11
OOo 1.1.2 pour X
NeoOfficeJ 1.1 beta avec patch 4

Excusez mon francais.
Je parle anglais.
Je ne parle pas francais.

Merci

I believe that If PincOOo worked, Anna would find it useful.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: character style

Max_Barel wrote:
You want to use character style in the Stylist. That does exactly what you want. Create a style from the current selection (even single char), then apply it somewhere else.

Max, since you seem to be the "styles guru," do you have (or know of) a good styles "tutorial" that we can point people towards? Styles seem to be one of those things that the "other" word processor makers don't seem to push, so people don't know much about them....

Smokey

(BTW, the new wiki is up now....)

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject:

amaloney wrote:
A long time ago (probably last year) I ran PincOOo on an X11 version of OOo.
It worked well, having placed two icons on the function bar.

IIRC one of the fixes in the 1.1.x codeline (over 1.0.x) was to write-protect some OOo directories that should not have been world-writeable on UNIX platforms.

That would probably explain why it worked for you once and does not now.

amaloney wrote:
I believe that If PincOOo worked, Anna would find it useful.

From what I've read, I'd tend to agree. I imagine it probably provides a handy one-click interface to the very steps Max lists just above....

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: not obvious

Max_Barel wrote:
Max_Barel wrote:

In fact it's still there, in the calc environement, when a cell is selected and copied (not text in the cell).

BTW, I'm not such a style expert, beside the fact I always used it in every WP I used, so NO, I've no pointer to tutorial.

I updated the Wiki about the font replacement issue (and edited my previous post to reflect this update)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2