Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - What "Missing Features" Between Neo and Mac OOo?
What "Missing Features" Between Neo and Mac OOo?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimWG
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: What "Missing Features" Between Neo and Mac OOo?

Greetings:

I've noticed mentions on the OpenOffice site that there are particular "missing" features between OpenOffice, Mac OO, and Neo. Can anyone list what are these missing features are? Thanks.

James Greenidge
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Neo is missing no features of OOo 1.1.3. It's actually ahead of the 1.1.2 Mac OS X (X11) build in that respect.

For the comparable OOo X11 release version, NeoJ will never be missing features due to its design. It only will ever be adding features (e.g. clipboard exchange, drag and drop, patch installers, etc.)

ed
ovvldc (away)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Neo is missing no features of OOo 1.1.3. It's actually ahead of the 1.1.2 Mac OS X (X11) build in that respect.

For the comparable OOo X11 release version, NeoJ will never be missing features due to its design. It only will ever be adding features (e.g. clipboard exchange, drag and drop, patch installers, etc.)

I dimly recall that the beta is based on 1.1.3. Furthermore, it seems EPS printing is missing, and printing resolution is limited. Also, there's no plugin or applet support. Most of this was covered on http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/features.php.

Actually, Ed, I am surprised you are so cavalier about this. Not that I don't love Neo/J or your part in it, but honestly recognizing limitations where they are present is the right and practical thing to do here..

-Oscar (still Mac-less :[)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:

The 1.1 Beta is based off of OOo 1.1.3; 1.1 RC/Final will be based off of 1.1.4.

When it comes to "features" I tend to think more of large application features like Writer or some of the wizards, so if one actually did one of those executive summary kind of feature checklists the same feature would generally be on all platforms. The big result of missing features in that sense would be mismatched underlying OOo versions. The only missing features that may very well be on that kind of a list might be the OfficeBean (which is mostly used for development of other software) and the ability to drop in Netscape plugins and applets into documents.

Each platform does have its own additional limitations, though, like the printing issues and the like. But that's true for regular OOo as well (Linux/Solaris don't have the ActiveX control, but that may be a good thing). When it comes down to it I wouldn't say that they're missing features, though.

I guess it's all just a matter of interpreting semantics of what is a feature and what is a bug Wink

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject:

not to meantion the WP conversion, which we have and no one else does. HAHAHAHAHA..err. um.

-j
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1