Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Installing dictionaries etc.
Installing dictionaries etc.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Installing dictionaries etc.

(1) I wonder if someone could help me with installing additional spelling dictionaries.

I downloaded the Irish dictionary (ga_IE.zip) from http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/spell_dic.html, and unzipped the folder. Following Patrick's instructions in an earlier message (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=373), I opened NeoOfficeJ.app with "Show Package Contents" and installed the new files (ga_IE.dic and ga_IE.aff) in Contents/share/dict/ooo/. But I can't activate the dictionaries. (In fact I can't quite see _how_ to activate new dictionaries.) I did also quit the application and restart.

I then (perhaps rashly?) looked into the file "dictionary.lst" with a text editor and saw a list of installed dictionaries, not including the new one. So, mimicking the other items, I manually entered a new line, # DICT ga IE ga_IE. Still no luck. I also tried the "wizard" under File > Autopilot > Install new dictionaries ..., but to no avail.

What am I doing wrong (or not doing)?

(2) I opened a fairly large RTF document (44,000 words) in Neo Office J today (having just taken the plunge and decided to make it my main editing program!), and everything seems fine, except for one strange thing. The status bar tells me the document has 3 pages, though in the original application it had 115. (The page format is set for A4.) There are no manual page breaks. This is not critical, as I won't be doing page layout or printing with Neo Office, just editing. Am I again overlooking something simple?

(3) Finally, I take this opportunity to thank the programmers for providing the world with this application. I can only repay you by passing on a small piece of good news. The Irish government (the most conservative and pro-corporate there has ever been) today received a report from a study group set up by the official procurement agency, which recommends that from now on open-source software be eligible for the thousands of computer systems put out to tender; previously, Microsoft Windows and Microsoft applications were required. The report even suggests the possibility of mandating open source in the future. Straws in the wind!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries etc.

SOB wrote:
I then (perhaps rashly?) looked into the file "dictionary.lst" with a text editor and saw a list of installed dictionaries, not including the new one. So, mimicking the other items, I manually entered a new line, # DICT ga IE ga_IE. Still no luck. I also tried the "wizard" under File > Autopilot > Install new dictionaries ..., but to no avail.

Try removing the leading "# " from your Gaelic entry in dictionary.lst. This should force the Gaelic dictionary always be active.

Patrick
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Installing dictionaries etc.

Many thanks, Patrick, for your prompt reply.
Quote:
Try removing the leading "# " from your Gaelic entry in dictionary.lst. This should force the Gaelic dictionary always be active.

No luck. Still can't see it anywhere.
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:

SOB, did you take care to remove the white space after the "#" ?
Patrick correctly wrote "# ", but you may have overlooked the " ".

Also, did you check the language setting -"Tools>Options" then "Linguistics" (supposedly, my Neo run in French so I don't remember the English tab name)- to see if your language is activated? Click on the "edit" button and check-out.

Max
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
SOB, did you take care to remove the white space after the "#" ? Patrick correctly wrote "# ", but you may have overlooked the "

I removed it, yes.
Quote:
Also, did you check the language setting -"Tools>Options" then "Linguistics" (supposedly, my Neo run in French so I don't remember the English tab name)

(It's called "Language Settings" in the English version.) Yes, did that.

In the meantime I deleted all the files in Contents/share/dict/ooo and reconstructed them manually (following guidelines suggested by Kevin Hendricks at http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html#installspell), with the result that the application froze every time; so I deleted it and downloaded it again. I'm going to try the whole process again as soon as I have time---probably tonight.

I'm sure there's some small point I'm stupidly overlooking, but I'm determined to find it!

Many thanks.

SOB

PS: Why do my messages display the word "Quote" before quoted passages? Makes me look even more inept than I really am.
s.habe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries etc.

The way I made Neo/J to use Estonian dictionaries was to copy the dictionary files to Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/wordbook. In the same folder there is also a file dictionary.lst, where your lines (note- two of them!) should look:

DICT ga IE ga_IE
HYPH ga IE hyph_ga_IE

Then then I just had to enable/define the language at Tools-Options-Language settings.

That's it. Perhaps you could just try again?
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:

Many thanks for the tip . . .

I just did that now. No change.
s.habe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: There's alway hope...

Ok, check the Tools-> Options-> Language Settings-> Writing Aids. Do you have marked in "available language modules" that OpenOffice.org MySpell SpellChecker is active? This is the very first line and you can change it by clicking the edit box...
s.habe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: still

Oh, yeah, sorry. Restart of the program would be good...
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries

Quote:
Ok, check the Tools-> Options-> Language Settings-> Writing Aids. Do you have marked in "available language modules" that OpenOffice.org MySpell SpellChecker is active?

Yes.
Quote:
This is the very first line and you can change it by clicking the edit box...

When I press "Edit" I get a list of twelve varieties of English---from English (Australia) to English (Zimbabwe)---and "Unknown." That's all.
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries

SOB wrote:

When I press "Edit" I get a list of twelve varieties of English---from English (Australia) to English (Zimbabwe)---and "Unknown." That's all.

And that's enough!.. Beside the fact that this "Unknown" should be your Gaelic. Double check the language code for this dict and also that you correctly setup files permission in the dict folder (on the dictionaries and on the "dictionary.lst" file) they should be owned by the system (root) and read-write.
BTW, If you select "Unknown", what is displayed in the available module list? Are the checkboxes checked?

At least this "Unknown" gives you a clue.

Max
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries

Quote:
Double check the language code for this dict

Yes, they all seem right: "ga" and "ga_IE" are the correct codes.
Quote:
and also that you correctly setup files permission in the dict folder (on the dictionaries and on the "dictionary.lst" file) they should be owned by the system (root) and read-write.

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that.
Quote:
BTW, If you select "Unknown", what is displayed in the available module list?

If I select "Unknown" under Language settings > Writing aids > Language, the panel underneath shows (under Spelling) "OpenOffice.org MySpell SpellChecker" and under Hyphenation "ALTLinux LibHnj Hyphenator".
Quote:
Are the checkboxes checked?

Yes.

If I set up a document and open Tools > Spellcheck > Check... the languages offered under Language are all the varieties of English and nothing else.
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries

Quoting myself:
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know how to do that.

Okay, I think I've found how to do that (by "get info" on the folder containing the files).

And I've re-started again; but it still makes no difference.
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I spent an hour trying to use this dict. I observed the same problem. Unknown disctionary in the module setting panel. Nothing new in the Language pane. I tried to edit the file a bit to adjust some minor points, comment and such. No result.

At this point, one could suspect the files of this language pack (the "Unknown" clue). Do you know of someone succesfully using it on another version of OOo? Which one? You could try to contact the author (its web site is in the readme). He is complaining for no feedback on this work and might be able to help you.

Is the language list of NeoJ complete?

In one of my test I got a console output from NeoJ. I suspect this was because I tried changing the country code. This is probably not a bug so I'll not add it to bugzilla.
Anyway here is the output, in case Patrick (Ed) read this and find it useful :
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 12 >= 12
at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Vector.java:412)
at java.awt.Menu.getItemImpl(Menu.java:214)
at java.awt.Menu.getItem(Menu.java:206)
at java.awt.Menu.getShortcutMenuItem(Menu.java:422)
at java.awt.Menu.getShortcutMenuItem(Menu.java:422)
at java.awt.MenuBar.getShortcutMenuItem(MenuBar.java:307)
at com.sun.star.vcl.VCLFrame.keyReleased(VCLFrame.java:1666)
at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Component.java:3676)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:3549)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1159)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:2589)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1208)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:2493)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:334)
at com.sun.star.vcl.VCLEventQueue$NoExceptionsEventQueue.dispatchEvent(VCLEventQueue.java:513)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:126)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:8Cool
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:80)
SOB
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Installing dictionaries

Many thanks, Max, for taking this trouble.
Quote:
At this point, one could suspect the files of this language pack (the "Unknown" clue). Do you know of someone succesfully using it on another version of OOo?

No, I'm afraid not. There are one or two mailing-lists, though, on which I might ask.
Quote:
You could try to contact the author (its web site is in the readme). He is complaining for no feedback on this work and might be able to help you.

Yes, I'll do that immediately.

In the long run this is good news, if it means the fault is not in Neo Office, and so I can continue to use---and advocate---it.

I'll report back. (That's a promise!) In the meantime, a thousand thanks to all who offered help.

Séamas Ó Brógáin
----------------
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2