· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta patch available
New NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta patch available

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: New NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta patch available

I have fixed a few bugs and implemented some performance enhancements in Neo/J so I have posted "Patch-6". The bugs fixed and performance enhancements implemented in this patch are listed below:

- Infinite scrolling - Some users reported that, in some cases, scrolling could enter an infinite loop. This bug has been fixed.
- Smoother text input - Text input for languages that use input methods (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, etc.) now more accurately display committed and uncommitted text. Also, moving the cursor within uncommitted text is now supported.
- Faster text drawing - Several users discovered that Neo/J was restricting Neo/J performance. To enhance performance, this patch caches recently drawn text so that the time spent in Mac OS X's time consuming text layout functions is kept to a minimum.
- New crashing bugs - After Mac OS X 10.3.8 was released, several users began experiencing crashing bugs that we had not seen in earlier Mac OS X updates. These new crashing bugs have been fixed.

You can download "Patch-6" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Please post any bugs that you find in Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: ATSUI

pluby wrote:
Several users discovered that Neo/J was restricting Neo/J performance.

Minor clarification (I think this is right...)

The limiting factor that was slowing down Neo/J's performance wasn't NeoJ itself, but ATSUI. ATSUI is the Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging. It's notoriously slow if you start computing lots of text layouts. It's frustrating that higher-level applications have to do caching with ATSUI to improve performance.

Off topic...it's frustrating for me since in most of the subsystems of modern OSes (VM, file I/O, networking, etc.) the operating system itself does a pretty good job of caching and optimization that not too much is required from the higher level app code. ATSUI is definitely not one of those kinds of services however.

ed
Franck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: "About NeoOffice/J"

Hello,

I noticed that the item "About NeoOffice/J" is now present in the "NeoOffice/J" menu:). The problem is that it remains also in the "help" menu. Is it intentional ?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject:

putting it in the neooffice/j item is easier than removing it from the help item. there are a few threads on the forum that discuss it, but the basic idea is that the menu items are hard-coded in the OO.o code, making it a large effort to move things around.

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
putting it in the neooffice/j item is easier than removing it from the help item. there are a few threads on the forum that discuss it, but the basic idea is that the menu items are hard-coded in the OO.o code, making it a large effort to move things around.

I'm going to do an updated version of my keyboard and menu configs (found in the wiki) soon, to take into account the new menu items. Then you can just apply the "MacOSXification pack" to the menus after install...because, as Jake said, doing it from the app (initial install) side is just a mess.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject:

The NeoJ app menu now has a link to the About dialog as well as a functional Preferences entry (links to Tools > Options). I only added in the links to the menu items and didn't bother removing old ones in response to an enhancement in bz.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta patch available

I have fixed several bugs that I did not have time to fix in NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta "Patch-6" and so I have posted "Patch-7". The bugs fixed are listed below:

- Overlapping characters - When using some custom fonts, certain character sequences would be combined into a single character. This bug has been fixed.
- Long paragraphs - Sometimes characters at the end of long paragraphs (e.g. more than 1000 words) would kern incorrectly. This bug has been fixed.
- Waking from sleep - On some machines, Neo/J would prevent a sleeping machine from waking. This bug has been fixed.

You can download "Patch-7" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Please post any bugs that you find in Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/.

Patrick
theboinkbaron
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject:

is there some way that a notification system can be set up to let users know when a patch is available? possibly through email? I love this program, but find keeping up with patches difficult for any program.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:

theboinkbaron wrote:
is there some way that a notification system can be set up to let users know when a patch is available? possibly through email? I love this program, but find keeping up with patches difficult for any program.

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/contact.php Smile

Neo/J also has a built-in mechanism for checking for new patches, but some people complained about it checking on every launch, so now it only checks once a week or so (and doesn't "retry" later if you're not online when it checks).

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:

theboinkbaron wrote:

The rss-feed is pretty good for that, I think. And, for the time being at least, it's not exactly information overload to subscribe both to the "Headlines" *and* the "Forums" feed -- a very good way to stay current with most things NeoOffice/J!
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Gerrit

Please point me to instructions on using rss feeds.

I know nothing about rss feeds and cannot find an elementary source of help.

I have found RSS Menu, but do not know how to get the info from the Trinity site to the RSS Menu program.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject:

If you look at the boxes at the left of the page, the bottommost one has the links for "RSS Feeds". Copy the link to the clipboard and then paste it into your RSS newsreader to subscribe to the feed.

ed
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject:

Ed

Works great for "Headlines"
Does not work for "Forums"

Your reply appreciated.

MosGuy
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Hi Al,

I haven't really looked into RSS apps. I run the 'preview' version of Opera 8 on both my Powerbook and my PC desktop. It has RSS built in, there's a blue RSS button at the end of the address bar. You click on it, the first RSS will add a feeds menu, which has all the feeds you subscribe to. As well as notice when new content comes in.

Athough Opera 8 is still a preview release it's been running great. The built-in RSS is a very handy feature. If you have no luck with a 3rd party you might want to check out Opera, getting RSS feeds couldn't be more straight forward.

Cheers,
Rick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject:

amaloney wrote:
Does not work for "Forums"

The forums are a bit tricker as they're processed by a different system. You may be getting too much information for your RSS aggregator or something.

There are some more details about other sub-URLs (e.g. RSS feed only for individual forums, how to change character length) in the following topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=850

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4