Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Apple Adressbook as source for database ?
Apple Adressbook as source for database ?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Apple Adressbook as source for database ?

I'm a newcommer in neoOffice/J and tried to import the date from MacOs X Adressbook as database für neoOffice - but didn't succeed. And I did not yet find any hint for theis problem in this forum. Could someone please tell me, wether it is already possible or not ?
Thanks, Henrich
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:

No one has yet written an OOo database driver for the Mac OS X Address Book, so there's no support for working directly with it. I wrote a design spec for doing it a hwile back, but no developer ever took it up.

The Address Book also doesn't have a built-in Export that will work on the entire database, AFAIK. Perhaps there's some third party script that can export it to a comma separated list or the like; but of course you'd need to re-export it each time you make a change to the native address book.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject:

Address Book Exporter does a good job of exporting your Address Book as tab delimited data in a .txt file. It is MUCH faster and more flexible than the Mail Scripts app.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject:

Someone "recently" on dev@porting (ericb?) mentioned interest in hooking up to Address Book as a data source...so someone besides Ed has at least thought about it.

The chances of it remaining on someone's radar will go up exponentially if you file a bug in the OOo IssueZilla. Smile

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
No one has yet written an OOo database driver for the Mac OS X Address Book, so there's no support for working directly with it. I wrote a design spec for doing it a hwile back, but no developer ever took it up.

I looked at the OOo site, maybe 2 years ago (there are probably a few posts about this in the OOdocs forum), willing to dig in such a task... and got scared! I'm not sure the goal worth the work.
Nevertheless I'm interested reading your spec, in case I find some time/bravery. Where is it?
BTW, I tried AdressBook Exporter which does the job and use a custom (read flexible) Applescript to export as text file. One way process, and repetitive. Fills my need.
Max
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:

Ed's stuff is here: http://www.dashboardbuddha.com/ooo/specs/index.html

P.S. Ed, now that you're under NDA for the next version of the OS, shouldn't you be able to allow access to the specs that were under Panther NDA? Smile

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I guess I should move those other specs over now since Panther's no longer really much of a secret Smile

Those docs actually arose out of an effort to give things to people to better direct their efforts, perhaps to help guide new developers to new projects, or something. Turns out that what happened was that I burned time writing them and no one ever did anything with them Sad

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Those docs actually arose out of an effort to give things to people to better direct their efforts, perhaps to help guide new developers to new projects, or something. Turns out that what happened was that I burned time writing them and no one ever did anything with them Sad

They might be a great thing to point out to all the new interested people popping up recently over in Germany....

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Adressbook import

yoxi wrote: Address Book Exporter does a good job of exporting your Address Book as tab delimited data in a .txt file.

... thank you for your hint ! It is comfortable enough for what I need.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1