Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Last window exits Neo/J fixed!
Last window exits Neo/J fixed!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Last window exits Neo/J fixed!

Today I was very lucky. I was tracking down a bug and I stumbled on the OOo code that forces Neo/J to exit when you press the red window close button.

So I tried a few quick tricks and, amazingly, in only a few hours of work, I got Neo/J to switch to the OOo blank window instead of exiting when you press the red close button. So, the only way that you can exit Neo/J is by pressing Command-Q, or selecting the Quit or Exit menu items in the native menubar.

The blank window looks very odd to me, but then I am constantly starting and quitting Neo/J as part of my development work.

I know many people have been waiting for this feature. So, if most people think it is an improvement, I will include it in the next official Neo/J patch. I'll warn you, we are stuck with keeping the ugly OOo blank window open. I may be able to minimize it, but I cannot hide it. That would require implementation of a native service which would be a lot of work that I don't have time for.

So, test it out and decide if it is a good feature or not. If it is good, I'll leave it in and if it is worse than what we had, I'll yank it out. You can get a test patch that has this new feature here:

http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Beta-TestPatch-7.5.dmg

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for this, Patrick.

My initial (personal) reaction is quite positive. I'll share this patch around the office today.

Regarding minimising, it would be helpful if the docked 'blank window' icon would update itself when the next document is opened, thereby providing a visual clue that it has been opened. Do I recall an earlier discussion which explained why that can't be done?

Anyway, it shouldn't be too painful to learn to 'cmnd-H' after the last document is closed and preferable to having to relaunch NeoOffice/J many times a day.

I'll let you know when I have a wider body of opinion to share next week.

But, in the meantime, it has my vote.

Ray
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't have much of a personal preference on this--I adapted pretty quickly to cmd-w--but I predict a chorus of "woo hoos" plus some "I can live with the goofy grey window if Neo/J doesn't quit on me by accident" Smile

Here's to luck!

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
Regarding minimising, it would be helpful if the docked 'blank window' icon would update itself when the next document is opened, thereby providing a visual clue that it has been opened. Do I recall an earlier discussion which explained why that can't be done?

I just fixed that. I already had code that was supposed to unminimize the focus window when you activated Neo/J. This code had a small bug that was leaving the active window minimized. I'll include this small fix in the next test patch.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I'll include this small fix in the next test patch.

Patrick

In that case, I'll wait for the next patch for distribution so that my users get the full effect. Should produce an even more positive response, I suspect. Will you be posting that next testpatch here?
Tomo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject:

Patrick;
I love this improvement. I hope you keep this feature for future release. Thanks.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject:

With patch 7.5, I get a System Alert sound when I close the last doc - by clicking the close button on the window frame - I'd prefer not to have the sound, since now there's nothing to alert me to. Smile

- yoxi
Fredrik Stendahl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Ligatures broken from testpatch 7.4

It is in an fantastic way you release new patches to test!

A side effect introduced from test patch 7.4 and is present in 7.5 as well, is that ligatures seems broken. Using eg Lucida Grande typing "fi" will go hawoc for the character spacing in the line. I suppose this is only visible for certain newer versions of fonts including info and ligature characters.

Best regards and still in amazement at the pace of the work done!

F
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Great pluby!
I have the BEEP too, and yes, if you can toggle the beeep clicking on the red button would be great.

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I will remove the beep. That was some extra code that I added to warn you that you couldn't close the last window so that users would not be confused when they press the red window close button and nothing happens.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I will remove the beep. That was some extra code that I added to warn you that you couldn't close the last window so that users would not be confused when they press the red window close button and nothing happens.

Is there any way to keep the beep when one tries to close the empty window with the red button and eliminate it when there's a document in the window? The former seems an appropriate use of the beep--warning you that you can't close the empty window--whereas the latter is an annoyance Smile

If you can't eliminate it for one place only, then get rid of both places Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Is there any way to keep the beep when one tries to close the empty window with the red button and eliminate it when there's a document in the window? The former seems an appropriate use of the beep--warning you that you can't close the empty window--whereas the latter is an annoyance Smile

Not that I have found.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject:

FYI. "TestPatch-7.6" is now available. In this test patch, I have removed the beep and, if you minimize the blank window or all document windows, the blank window or the active document window will be restored when you press the Neo/J Dock icon or open a Neo/J document from the Finder.

"TestPatch-7.6" is available here:

http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Beta-TestPatch-7.6.dmg

Patrick
Tomo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Patrick;
Getting much better.
When NeoJ has only one blank window that is mimimized and I make a new document, no window is activated. Of cource, when double clicking a saved document from finder, the blank window is activated and it's good.
Is it possible to activate a new document window?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Tomo wrote:
When NeoJ has only one blank window that is mimimized and I make a new document, no window is activated. Of cource, when double clicking a saved document from finder, the blank window is activated and it's good. Is it possible to activate a new document window?

I tried doing this and, unfortunately, very bad things happen. Either Neo/J hangs or the native menu unexpectedly closes. These things are due to the some interaction between Carbon and our hacky menu-to-window syncronization code. Since this behavior is very unstable, I don't think this is feasible at this time.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2